Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PurpleOctober
Raven
Raven

17 Jan 2012, 4:02 pm

I was wondering if the following are symptomatic of Asperger's or of having an accompanying auditory processing issue. (I would get evaluated for a learning issue at my school, but I am not eligible due to having been diagnosed with a mental illness in the past)

I can't absorb any information from lectures (which is especially difficult because I'm a college student!), I need the teacher to have written everything on the board, or I forget what he/she said about thirty seconds later. I take notes on a laptop instead of in a notebook because I type much faster than I hand-write.

Conversationally, I have a hard time following what people are saying if they are giving me specific instructions. More than two steps to the process and I'm lost, or worse, what I will take out of the conversation is the last two steps of the process! Forget it if the verbal instructions involve sidetracking, or side conversation, because then I will be totally derailed and will not absorb any of the information.

I also have a very difficult time learning foreign languages, I can learn vocabulary until the cows come home, but if I have to give an oral exam, I will fail. I also cannot conjugate verbs in foreign languages, at all. It took me two years of Spanish to remember the rubric of conjugation (yo, tu, usted, nosotros, ustedes, vosotros), and I only remember one conjugation from Latin (amo, amas, amat, amatis, amantis, amant).

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, just wondering if this is common with ASD, an auditory processing issue, or if I'm just a space case.

AQ Score: 42

Aspie Quiz: 178/200

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2012, 4:19 pm

PurpleOctober wrote:
I was wondering if the following are symptomatic of Asperger's or of having an accompanying auditory processing issue. (I would get evaluated for a learning issue at my school, but I am not eligible due to having been diagnosed with a mental illness in the past)

I can't absorb any information from lectures (which is especially difficult because I'm a college student!), I need the teacher to have written everything on the board, or I forget what he/she said about thirty seconds later. I take notes on a laptop instead of in a notebook because I type much faster than I hand-write.

Conversationally, I have a hard time following what people are saying if they are giving me specific instructions. More than two steps to the process and I'm lost, or worse, what I will take out of the conversation is the last two steps of the process! Forget it if the verbal instructions involve sidetracking, or side conversation, because then I will be totally derailed and will not absorb any of the information.

I also have a very difficult time learning foreign languages, I can learn vocabulary until the cows come home, but if I have to give an oral exam, I will fail. I also cannot conjugate verbs in foreign languages, at all. It took me two years of Spanish to remember the rubric of conjugation (yo, tu, usted, nosotros, ustedes, vosotros), and I only remember one conjugation from Latin (amo, amas, amat, amatis, amantis, amant).

I'm not looking for a diagnosis, just wondering if this is common with ASD, an auditory processing issue, or if I'm just a space case.

Yes, I'm painfully familiar with auditory problems. My parents and grandparents constantly used to read an old children's book to me about a little boy for whom everything went in one ear and out the other, and how bad he was until he improved. I can't recall the name of the book now; it must have really gone in one ear and out the other:)

I have a humanities degree, which entailed heavy, heavy notetaking. The only way I could keep up was to write as many notes as I could and go by them. A laptop should make it much easier than the way I did it, which was pen and paper. I can't write fast. Just hang in there....

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2012, 4:20 pm

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

horsegurl4190
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jul 2012, 12:49 am

It is different for everyone. I'm the exact opposite of you. I have way above average auditory processing. It's my visual processing that sucks. I can listen to a lecture and if I write the notes as I listen I can remember play almost like an mp3 of the exact lecture in my head when I look at those notes later. However, I don't retain anything from reading textbooks and whatnot.