Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

14 Nov 2006, 6:57 pm

Thank you for that post, happygal. It's nice to see that some actually want to learn more and appreciate us, and I hope you will be able to help out and give us some advice, and vice versa. The guide isn't that bad for something written by a 16 year old Aspie, is it? :wink:

Wedrifid, thanks for that correction. I was unsure whether or not I selected the right word, so I just chose one and hoped for the best. I'll update it now.

EDIT: Also fixed a majority of the spelling mistakes using Firefox 2's spell-check feature. Thank God for that!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

happygal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2006, 3:45 am

KBABZ wrote:
Thank you for that post, happygal. It's nice to see that some actually want to learn more and appreciate us, and I hope you will be able to help out and give us some advice, and vice versa. The guide isn't that bad for something written by a 16 year old Aspie, is it? :wink:

LOL...KBABZ, the guide would be awesome for something written by anyone at any age...but yeah, one of the things that I think is so way cool about AS is the ability to dig deep into something with passion and focus - the absolute positive part of the obsessions, not to mention how frequently the folks I know with AS have also had pretty extraordinary intelligence.

I totally appreciate Alex's creation of a place where an aspie's experiences are the "norm" and I am the outsider...far too often the world makes pathological that which is merely different because it doesn't understand it and doesn't care to try to... Okay, don't wanna get us too off topic here...or start a rant, well deserved though it might be, because this thread is a well thought out and helpful one...and, heck, ranting can be done anywhere *grin*

Thanks again! I'll be glad to help and chime in if I can and in any way that I can...and don't worry, I'll ask plenty of questions once I figure out what I want to ask.

DriftingBlizzard
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2006, 8:21 am

Has anyone mentioned atrocious spelling habits? Or lack of being able to remember people's names?

Scintillate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 8:39 am

Except that my spelling is near perfect..

I'm terrible with names.

My first obsession was words so that would explain it though.

However, using them in a social context, I dumb it down greatly.

I would more likely say "language difficulties - usually in relation to a social situation"

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2006, 9:16 am

Your Definition o Austin excludes him as far as I am concerned. BESIDES, how would you figure he was an aspie, or even autistic?

Sherlock holmes, and columbo seem perfect candidates! SURE columbo is married, but you rarely hear of her, and he doesn't seem to know much about women other than what can easily be learned. He DOES do that WELL though, even noticing the little tag on lingerie bieng on the wrong side. And his character went up against pretentious "geniuses". and made them look like idiots. BTW I think columbo is just a TV series, but it is probably the best one ever. I think only sherlock holmes(which is a little too obscure in detective work), and monk(Let's face it, a lot of that is chance) can hold a candle to it.

I agree about Einstein and Tesla, I don't know enough about Carmack and Spielberg. I DOUBT Gates is!

But YEAH, out of all listed here, next to einstein that has an autie history, and BRAIN differences that PROVE it, Nikola tesla is the most clear AS person!

I'm TERRIBLE with names! I always figured that because of my lack of interest, eye contact, and repeating names. ALSO, I dislike the public circumstances.

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 4:19 pm

KBABZ,

One thing I didn't like was the empathy part ALSO. I HAVE empathy! I just don't often SHOW it!

Steve

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2006, 7:22 pm

Okay, I'll see what I can do about it. If you have any suggestions, I would welcome them!

In a way
We all go there

babycody
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2006, 11:29 pm

Quote:
I don't understand why its important to have an "NT's Guide to Asperger's" on a forum for Aspie's.

This is one topic among many. Putting aside a topic like this isn't a big deal for you, but it is for me. My son has AS, and I would rather hear your stories than read a book that many here would probably say doesn't describe them. This topic feeds my need for understanding, and comforts me in some way. You have to live with AS, but remember you're not the only ones. Your parents guts have been wrenched with worry over you. I think this site is just as much for us as it is for you. You give us a glimpse into the future of our children. The great thing about AS is that people with AS are blunt. You can ask Aspies a question, and you'll get a straight forward answer. Even your small talk gives the parents hope for their child's future. It's important because you make our sadness go away.

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 2:20 am

Any other reallygood aspies?I know the cartoon character daria, and Craig Nicholls...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 2:25 am

I wanted to update it.

==Famous, or at least well known people with Asperger's or Autism, suspected or not==
~Sherlock Holmes
~Columbo (not sure where he comes from. A book, maybe?)
~Michelangelo
~Isaac Newton
~H. C. Andersen
~Arne Garborg
~Ludwig Wittgenstein
~Albert Einstein
~Glenn Gould
~Stanley Kubrick
~Steven Spielberg
~Bill Gates
~Craig Nicholls
~Béla Bartók,
~David Byrne
~Henry Cavendish
~Glenn Gould,
~Thomas jefferson
~James Joyce
~Moe Norman
~Alan Turing
~Michael Ventris
~ Andy Warhol
~Blind Tom Wiggins
~Possibly that guy who studied peas for 20 years and proved genetics (turns out his name is Gregor Medel)
~Maybe that cat lady who lives on the edge of town
~ Oh. and Just a little add in from me, DARIA MORGENDORFER!

karasu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2007, 3:09 am

Aspie_Chav wrote:
We are more evelved then Animals CockneyRebel, we are more evelved then most NTs too. There was an an artical in the newspapers about the evolution of mankind by Dr Currey. I will have a look for it when I finnished work.

Um, actually (and I hope not to get into a serious debate here) but the idea of "evolution" as a means by which organisms progress is actually an inaccurate way to represent the idea. I recommend some Stephen Jay Gould as a little light reading. Strictly speaking, evolving does not mean stepping up in the hierarchy, it means adapting to the environment. As the environment changes, an organism changes.

This is a very difficult concept for many, many people to grasp. It's natural, given how "ascent of man" images are often used to inaccurately depict human beings as they evolve from monkeys (and please tell me everyone here is aware enough of the evolution argument to know that humans did not, in any sense of the word, evolve from monkeys) as a sort of march upward from knuckle-dragging beetle-browed imbecile to trim and dapper businessman, but the fact remains: evolutionary development is not hierarchical. In any way, shape or form.

Human beings are animals. We are not "more evolved" than other animals--that would be impossible. We are different from many other organisms, yes, but so are bacteria, and since bacteria are what make the world go, what allow us all to live, breath and exist, and in fact as Stephen Jay Gould himself has stated we are in fact living in a "World of Bacteria", if you wish to laud any particular organism and claim superiority for any one over another, you ought to turn your eye to the bacteria in your gut, on your skin, and in the air all around you. They make it possible for all of us to go on living in the world.

Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread, it's just that the lack of understanding among the general population re: evolution is a huge pet peeve of mine, so I hope this doesn't get on anyone's nerves too badly. I just suggest lots of reading on the subject and nature of evolutionary theory. Start with Richard Dawkins, he's a fun read, and super-easy. :)

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 3:39 am

Do you think I need to provide another update for this?

In a way
We all go there

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 5:11 am

Maybe. Or maybe a bit more info. I think a little not at the bottom should read: Note: Not all Aspies have all symptoms, and some symptoms may or may not be taken to the extreme.

It's kinda like"don't annoy the bears. they get angry. they will eat you."LOL.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 5:43 am

neongrl wrote:
So someone else (a very understanding person who knows me well) can keep me moving if needed by telling me what to do.

I can relate to that very well, often I can communicate better with people who are very clear or even a little severe ("do this, don't do that" to a point of being practical i mean, emotional demands don't have the same effect)

I don't know whether non-diagnosed people may do suggestions KBABZ, but you can judge for yourself if it's useful... (notice the capital letters ! :wink: )

You can add something about 'logical information':
I have the feeling I could do about anything if I just have clear references of how I should do it, so by asking lot's of questions, reading up on a subject, studying it, observing other people's behaviour or way of acting, tryin out different possibilities, etc it is possible to attain any goal. (even social behaviour to a certain extend) The opposite is true as well, when in a situation without clear information and/or references I'm completely lost, just don't know what to do/say/think.
I also think life is much more difficult for young Aspies, this may be due to the fact that the young Aspie is lacking a lot of information. (not only of factual data, but also of how to store/remember them, how to use remembered information, how to behave, etc.)
I wonder if this could be because detailed data-storing takes more time than the system NT's use, or whether appropriate learning techniques aren't orientated towards Aspies.

Difficulties to start something or to stop something (I sometime explain myself like a well functioning robot, being very skilled but you need the right action to make it work, starting with the very obvious of switching it on or off)

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 5:43 am

neongrl wrote:
So someone else (a very understanding person who knows me well) can keep me moving if needed by telling me what to do.

I can relate to that very well, often I can communicate better with people who are very clear or even a little severe ("do this, don't do that" to a point of being practical i mean, emotional demands don't have the same effect)

I don't know whether non-diagnosed people may do suggestions KBABZ, but you can judge for yourself if it's useful... (notice the capital letters ! :wink: )

You can add something about 'logical information':
I have the feeling I could do about anything if I just have clear references of how I should do it, so by asking lot's of questions, reading up on a subject, studying it, observing other people's behaviour or way of acting, tryin out different possibilities, etc it is possible to attain any goal. (even social behaviour to a certain extend) The opposite is true as well, when in a situation without clear information and/or references I'm completely lost, just don't know what to do/say/think.
I also think life is much more difficult for young Aspies, this may be due to the fact that the young Aspie is lacking a lot of information. (not only of factual data, but also of how to store/remember them, how to use remembered information, how to behave, etc.)
I wonder if this could be because detailed data-storing takes more time than the system NT's use, or whether appropriate learning techniques aren't orientated towards Aspies.

Difficulties to start something or to stop something (I sometime explain myself like a well functioning robot, being very skilled but you need the right action to make it work, starting with the very obvious of switching it on or off)

Good work KBABZ ! !

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 5:54 am

*two awards!*

I should make this into a Word file sometime. This actually was made quite some time ago! And yes, anybody can contribute to this.

In a way
We all go there