Afraid of phone calls, texting, social networking, etc

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2012, 3:12 pm

Is anybody else afraid of calling, texting or messaging people whom one knows in real life? What could be the cause of this problem? I also never socialize in real life unless someone quite literally takes me by hand and forces me to go and socialize with them. I don't really have any social 'fears', except for the calling, texting and social networking people whom I know in real life.

I wonder if anybody else could relate.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:15 pm

maybe the fact you might think that they'll answer "STOP STALKING THE s**t OUT OF ME YOU PITIFUL PIECE OF DOGSHIT"?

Transhuman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jan 2012, 3:21 pm

Uprising wrote:
maybe the fact you might think that they'll answer "STOP STALKING THE sh** OUT OF ME YOU PITIFUL PIECE OF DOGSHIT"?

No... I'm even afraid of responding to text messages.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:24 pm

I've felt like this quite a bit and it's why I only talk to those I feel really comfortable talking to which is only are a select few. I've found it to cause unnecessary stress in my life and I try to avoid it for the most part.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:29 pm

Trigas wrote:
I've felt like this quite a bit and it's why I only talk to those I feel really comfortable talking to which is only are a select few. I've found it to cause unnecessary stress in my life and I try to avoid it for the most part.

I got this issue even with people on here.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:52 pm

I have this problem to an extreme degree. Much much much prefer in-person.

Trigas
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 3:54 pm

Uprising wrote:
Trigas wrote:

I got this issue even with people on here.

Yea, I sometimes rewrite messages several times just because of the anxiety of communication and trying to make sure I get my point across. :?

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 5:48 pm

i think pretty much all methods of communication cause me some sort of stress/anxiety

Dream
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Jan 2012, 10:19 pm

I hate phone calls, I try to avoid them at all cost, I also hate writing e mails, because I never know what to write. I don't mind sms though

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

I love interaction with someone that is casual enough that I don't need to know their phone number or be able to text or email them... such as this forum, work friends, racing/car friends...

I have a facebook account and a linkedin account... the facebook account is to talk about cars... I've learned that no one else cares about any status update that doesn't relate to cars that I make... my linked in is my way to network with co-workers and vendors... I love linked in...

I am a member of about 40 or 50 forums, but am active currently on two... this one and a group of grassroots motor sports people I know locally... thats it... and the other one not so much...

to be honest... by not knowing you all in RL I am more likely to be close to you than I am the other groups :p

thats just how it is, I cant explain it... its just what the situation is...

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 11:08 pm

i am afraid of calling places and i sometimes panic at having to make phone calls. but i have more trouble if i don't know them than if i do. i like to text, but i am old so i don't know many people that want to text back.

Uprising wrote:
maybe the fact you might think that they'll answer "STOP STALKING THE sh** OUT OF ME YOU PITIFUL PIECE OF DOGSHIT"?

also, it amuses me that the swear filter takes out "s**t" but not "dogshit".

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 11:10 pm

I dislike phone calls, but I like messaging/texting and social networking.

I can communicate with someone with the ability to completely ignore them at will? YES PLEASE.

You will reap what you've sown.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2012, 11:14 pm

abacacus wrote:
I dislike phone calls, but I like messaging/texting and social networking.

I can communicate with someone with the ability to completely ignore them at will? YES PLEASE.

+1000

exactly.

jpfudgeworth
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2012, 4:55 am

Receiving a phone call is one of the most anxious things I can imagine. Making a phone call is even worse.

However texting and social networking is not as difficult for me, but both are capable of causing anxiety even with people I am very familiar with.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 5:43 am

The only people I can call, without stressing about it, are my parents and my husband. Even though I get on really well with my best friend, I'd much rather knock on her door than call her. Texting is a bit easier, but I have difficulty getting the message reduced to such a small number of characters (and I don't do text speak). This method of cummunication works well for me and face to face is fine too (as long as it's me and just one or two others).

Keeno
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2012, 5:57 am

Phoning, texting and e-mailing are all absolutely OK for me with trusted friends. However even while having a lot of positive contact through these media, I'm phobic of them because there are people in my life who present quite a challenge for me and offer quite a test of mettle. Because these people could call/text/e-mail at any time, I can be overwhelmed. As such, when I check my e-mail my stomach feels tied up in knots. Once checked and depending on what's come in, either my head goes all fuzzy and heavy and I might get a headache, or I get a fast heartbeat and I pant. That's how bad my phobia of communication media is, and indicates how much I struggle to cope with certain interactions, which I have to negotiate but not because it was something I could choose.

So far I was talking about personal interactions and personal business, but using the phone and e-mail at work is generally OK for me.

I had Facebook, but deactivated it. Just being on Facebook made me feel exposed. I'm phobic of social networking.
Edit: I thought about forums as well. Despite being quite a regular poster here, forums are also a highly challenging medium of communication for me, simply because I'm really too sensitive for them as they really do call for a thick skin. Due to this it's a miracle I'm a regular poster on a forum at all.