Other/Yes 3%  3%  [ 14 ]
Other/No 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
Other/No 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 560

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 2:21 am

"Mathematically able," will be defined as, "greater than or equal to the local average of mathematical skill."

Anything else falls under, "no." Remember that poll votes are anonymous unless you report your results in the thread and remember that ASD's are associated with higher rates of dyscalculia (think of dyslexia but with numbers) but allow for special interests in mathematics.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 3:50 am

I think that there are a lot of skills that are lumped into the category "mathematics". For example, it is possible to be adept at toying around with abstract mathematical reasoning without having a particularly good "number sense", and vice versa.

kevinjh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 3:53 am

It was intended as a general comparison with local peers because it would be difficult to find someone who collected data on the various branches of mathematics in its local community.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 3:58 am

I understand. I voted anyway.

Just pointing out, there in fact have been many capable mathematicians with something akin to dyscalculia, as strange as it may sound. David Hilbert is a good example. Hilbert often forgot things like what 7+5 equals, but he could construct an intricate proof showing some fact about all natural numbers. In mathematics, the general is more important than the specific.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:48 am

Top mathematics student at my high school, and well inside the top 100 mathematics students in my state (according to my high school teachers).

So yeah, I'll say "mathematically able".

And diagnosed with AS.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 7:56 am

I suck at math.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:30 am

Got into the University's Honor Society for math even though I wasn't a math major--so I've always been above average!

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 8:58 am

My grades in highschool were always kinda crappy, usually didn't do homework. But anything basic I could do instantly or had memorized.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 11:37 pm

I'm mathematically able. I finished my first semester of Calculus I with an A. I like math better than English and history but science will always be my favorite subject.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2012, 9:15 pm

kevinjh wrote:
"Mathematically able," will be defined as, "greater than or equal to the local average of mathematical skill."

Anything else falls under, "no." Remember that poll votes are anonymous unless you report your results in the thread and remember that ASD's are associated with higher rates of dyscalculia (think of dyslexia but with numbers) but allow for special interests in mathematics.

Dyscalculia??? So THAT'S what it's called! I KNEW I had some kind of math related learning disabily!

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Paulie_C
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2012, 8:24 am

The weirdest thing is when I was a child I excelled at maths and was way ahead of my year but now as an adult I am completely inept at it. I often wonder if I sacrificed some of my logic in an attempt to succeed a bit more socially....

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Feb 2012, 5:47 pm

I struggled with math a lot. I'm OK with the basics but I did horrible with the stuff that wasn't practical like Algebra. I'm dyslexic & it was impossible for me to learn formulas. I got the numbers confused abit too but I have horrible handwriting so that could of had something to do with it. I'm good at comparing stats on RPGs with a graphing calculator; I'm very OCDish about it

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AnnettaMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 12:28 am

I struggle with math, even the basics like multiplication and division.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 7:13 am

I can't do math. Hate it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

ExcitinglyOpaque
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Apr 2012, 9:52 pm

Autistic and terrible at math.

ProfessorP

01 May 2012, 11:07 pm

I am extremely able in some types of math--I had perfect scores on math ACT tests and math portion of GMATs. Statistics are generally easy for me. Nonetheless, I find some types of math very difficult.
I wonder if this is typical for Aspies. Does anyone else have a similar experience in which some types of math are very easy and others are very difficult?