Other/Yes 3%  3%  [ 14 ]
Other/No 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
Other/No 1%  1%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 560

ProfessorP
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2012, 11:07 pm

I am extremely able in some types of math--I had perfect scores on math ACT tests and math portion of GMATs. Statistics are generally easy for me. Nonetheless, I find some types of math very difficult.
I wonder if this is typical for Aspies. Does anyone else have a similar experience in which some types of math are very easy and others are very difficult?

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2012, 11:38 pm

I think I'm mathematically able, but I'm not amazingly good at it. My lowest grade happens to always be in math, but apparently, I'm two math grades ahead. My parents also constantly say that I struggle in math and gave me a huuuuge lecture when I got a B+ once. And this year, I got really depressed and didn't study for a test, and my grade dropped down to an A- and they almost gave me a lecture for that. :roll:

ProfessorP wrote:
I am extremely able in some types of math--I had perfect scores on math ACT tests and math portion of GMATs. Statistics are generally easy for me. Nonetheless, I find some types of math very difficult.
I wonder if this is typical for Aspies. Does anyone else have a similar experience in which some types of math are very easy and others are very difficult?

I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I absolutely hate Geometry and Algebra is okay for me. As for my father, (whom, as far as I know, is NT), he also despises Geometry, is fine with Algebra, and found Calculus extremely easy. I hope it's the same for me. :lol:

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2012, 2:17 pm

Declension wrote:
I understand. I voted anyway.

Just pointing out, there in fact have been many capable mathematicians with something akin to dyscalculia, as strange as it may sound. David Hilbert is a good example. Hilbert often forgot things like what 7+5 equals, but he could construct an intricate proof showing some fact about all natural numbers. In mathematics, the general is more important than the specific.

Agreed! I make "careless" mistakes sometimes but I am easily able to understand the mathematical concepts themselves.

Senath
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2012, 2:24 pm

I find it interesting that I like mathematical concepts but I cannot perform calculations unless I truly understand the concepts behind them. If there's something I'm getting stuck on conceptually it frustrates me to no end and really upsets me and it makes it very hard, even when there are rules that I should be able to just memorize like everyone else to do the calculations required for math classes.

One other thing in regards to my relationship with mathematics- I hate trigonometry. Something about combining geometry and calculus is incredibly difficult and slow for my brain to process. Once I get the concepts I'm usually OK, but here I get stumped a lot.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 4:22 pm

Geometry and algebra are okay with me. Calculus throws me for a loop though.

ProfessorP

19 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Senath wrote:
I find it interesting that I like mathematical concepts but I cannot perform calculations unless I truly understand the concepts behind them. If there's something I'm getting stuck on conceptually it frustrates me to no end and really upsets me and it makes it very hard, even when there are rules that I should be able to just memorize like everyone else to do the calculations required for math classes.

One other thing in regards to my relationship with mathematics- I hate trigonometry. Something about combining geometry and calculus is incredibly difficult and slow for my brain to process. Once I get the concepts I'm usually OK, but here I get stumped a lot.

I am the same way. I was at the bottom of my graduate class that studied linear programming, but I was able to develop original applicaitons of LP that eluded other people. I believe that everyone else was able to memorize the processes and repeat those processes. I could not do that. When I finally understood how things worked, however, I was ahead of the others.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 5:06 pm

I am pretty good at geometry and algebra but I really have trouble with calculus. I'm also not very good at mental arithmetic. Even now I very often still count on my fingers.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2012, 1:52 pm

I am very terrible at math, although there are some exceptions I can do reasonably.

Flamencita
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Aug 2012, 12:17 pm

I wonder if a lot of us consider ourselves "mathematically challenged" and find maths hard merely because the way that everyone else does it doesn't make sense to us.
I find it hard to add up the values of playing cards and work out what change to give/get but I'm pretty sure if I worked on it I could find a way that would enable me to be good at it. Likewise at school I found I couldn't just use the formulas for certain things, but if I understood them I could.

humanhatred
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2012, 3:54 am

I am terrible at maths.

Aoibh

24 Sep 2012, 4:14 am

AS and brilliant at maths, if I can say that without sounding up myself.

Got an A* at GCSE without even listening in class or revising. Now doing A level and enjoying it.

Absolutely love algebra and statistics, but I can't do anything to do with shapes at all.

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 10:45 am

My problem in the high level of math class I have now is justifying my step at upper division university level hard to make professor understand my proofs and I work a little slow.

Chami
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Oct 2012, 10:57 am

If I cannot visualize it, I am more or less unable to do it. :-/ Have failed or dropped the college algebra class 6 times....it is the only thing standing in the way of getting my degree.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2012, 1:23 pm

Dyscalculia totally unable to do math

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:03 am

I would say I am fairly average. There is lots of math I can do with no problems. My troubles begin in the more advanced areas of geometry, algebra, caluclus, trig, etc.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2012, 11:58 am

Hell no! I am mathematically ret*d :lol: