Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ymir
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jan 2012, 1:00 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has one? And how you know.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:04 pm

My mom is a narcissist.

Why, you say? She acts like one all the time.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:34 pm

Sort of.

I think she has BPD, but she has both the narccistic and victimhood aspects of it

Nothing to really elaborate on, she covers it well but deep down she's a pretty textbook case..

HDTV...

Whatever.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 4:36 pm

My mother isn't as bad as most parents are, but she is bad enough that I ran away from home. How do I know? Because I'm not allowed to do anything without her approval. I would move out instead of run away, but the main problem with that is she would have to make sure I move out in a manner that suits her. She doesn't have ill will towards me or anything, she is just your typical extreme anxious paranoid, always fearing the worst about every situation. Learning how to be a man is impossible while surrounded by fearful idiots. Her excuse is "I'm a mother" but that doesn't fly when it comes to living my life for myself, based on my own values and not hers.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2012, 5:35 pm

yes, my adopted 'mother' is a narcissist. I got away from her at age 14, when I went to live with the step-dad who was divorcing her. I haven't spoken to her directly in over 23 years.

How do I know? well, I googled the characteristics of narcissim and that describes her very well, 'domineering' is the first adjective I'd use, and it goes downhill from there. She has been married enough times, I've lost count... but all I know is, she is toxic as he)) and I am not the only person to flee her grip. If you are too close to her, within her reach, you realize you are just an accessory to her, life is all about HER all of the time.

I also know, because the first husband I married was exactly like that. Now, you're thinking 'how dumb was that?' yes. It certainly was. I was worried I'd marry an alcoholic, as they say you tend to marry someone like your parents, or whomever you have unresolved emotional stuff over-- but turns out, I didn't marry an alcoholic. I married a narcissist.

He was less subtle than her--the difference between men and women, perhapse. But just as toxic and controlling, just as domineering and smothering. Got away from him 17 years ago, apparently my issues with narcissists got resolved, because second husband is 180 degree opposite, and life is much much better now.

Gotta learn from your mistakes, or life is will turn into a long dreary slog