Free video capture program for video games?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 1:56 am

I've got some humorous ideas for Youtube and I'm wondering how I'd go about shooting footage of a PC game for my own sort of Robot Chicken type shenanigans.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 2:33 am

I've tried both hypercam as well as fraps. Both have free versions as well as those you can pay for. Not sure about quality as it largely depends more on the computer you have.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 1:53 pm

Manycam is another program that'll let you record a segment of your desktop, but it doesn't record sound I don't think, need to record that through your speakers. And also the framerate isn't fantastic, around 12fps I'd say.

BTW how do you work fraps? I tried it but I couldn't record anything >:|

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

TheFerretHadToGo
Raven
Raven

29 Jan 2012, 5:57 am

DanRaccoon wrote:
Manycam is another program that'll let you record a segment of your desktop, but it doesn't record sound I don't think, need to record that through your speakers. And also the framerate isn't fantastic, around 12fps I'd say.

BTW how do you work fraps? I tried it but I couldn't record anything >:|

I guess you´ve enetered the movies tab and choosen save location and hotkey, but I still mention it just to be on the safe side. Then all you got to do is hit the designated key during gameplay. Doesn´t work with all games though, and I´m unsure if you can record movies with the free version.

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 7:13 am

I'd avoid using Fraps personally, especially retro game recording.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 9:03 pm

Laz wrote:
I'd avoid using Fraps personally, especially retro game recording.

Although it would require a video board with A/V inputs, using a VCR to record the gameplay on from an older system and then transfering it to the computer via A/V outputs from the VCR to the video board and having it saved as whatever file type necessary would be one way to allow for a retro game to have its gameplay recorded and thus not have the Fraps application interfere with compute cycles. It would essentially be though, playing a movie and voicing it over then. IDK every detail though.

PastFixations
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 6:39 am

Bandicam, like Fraps but the unregistered version of Bandicam allows a longer recording time. Luckily for me though, I have a registered Fraps that disables the FPS Count on the video.

www.wrongplanet.net/postp5013377.html&h ... t=#5013377

Sora: "My friends are my power."

Ventus: "I'm asking you as a friend. Just... put an end to me."