My 11 year old sister is saying she's bi so she'll look cool

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jan 2012, 7:39 pm

For some reason it's "in style" to be bisexual, so a lot of girls pretend to be to get dudes. My sister thought that was a good idea, so she ended up telling ALL of her friends she is, including all the 16 year old boys she's never actually seen in real life. I asked her if she's bi and she said yes. I asked her if she likes girls, she said yes. I asked her HOW she likes girls and she said she thought a few were cute but they were just celebrities, no one she actually knows. Then I asked her if she'd date or kiss a girl and she said no. She's OBVIOUSLY not bi. how do I convince her having little crushes on celebrities doesn't actually change your sexuality, even I have celebrity exceptions!

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2012, 7:59 pm

She's just acting like a teenager. Hopefully she'll realise it's ret*d.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:02 pm

Why do you keep giving us constant updates about what your 11 year old sister does? It's overbearing for a brother to act like that and a bit creepy to post about it online, quite frankly.

Just let her do what she wants and if anything of genuine concern actually happens, tell your parents.

Honestly :roll:

sErgEantaEgis
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2012, 8:05 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Why do you keep giving us constant updates about what your 11 year old sister does? It's overbearing for a brother to act like that and a bit creepy to post about it online, quite frankly.

Just let her do what she wants and if anything of genuine concern actually happens, tell your parents.

Honestly :roll:

I personally think he just likes her sister and wants to protect her but don't know how. Don't judge him.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:46 pm

Don't ever tell your sister that it is "fashionable" to have AS/ASD, or else...

"I wanna be an Aspie! My brother is one! How come he gets to be one and I don't?! It's not fair!"

:roll:

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 8:55 pm

It frustrates me so much when people do that...probably she'll eventually realize it's not good.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

Uh, you guys... theaspiemusician is female. She even made a whole thread talking about how people keep mistaking her for male.

Anyway, back on topic... It's normal for girls to go through phases where they say they're a different sexuality. However, just because it's common doesn't mean it's right. It's girls like her who cause people to doubt real bisexuals when they come out. Maybe you should sit her down and discuss that with her.

Selena
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2012, 5:22 pm

There's always a chance she may actually be bisexual or at least curious/questioning and just using the "cool" thing as a safe cover to explore her identity.

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 5:39 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
However, just because it's common doesn't mean it's right. It's girls like her who cause people to doubt real bisexuals when they come out. Maybe you should sit her down and discuss that with her.

Yes, ruin something fun for an 11 year old by bringing other people's issues into it.

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Feb 2012, 11:59 pm

Doesn't make a difference to me if someone lies about their sexuality unless it directly involves me, such as in instances where it's being done to either lead me on or to take advantage of me somehow.

Other than that, I don't see what the big deal is. If they're just lying about it and that's that (such as, in an instance where I'm not interested in them anyway, and/or an instance where it's not being done to take advantage of me somehow), then I'd just brush it off.

I also agree that there is a trend to label oneself as "bisexual," specifically, when you're not actually a bisexual. I don't see the point of it, save maybe to advertise oneself as being "open-minded"...which, of course, doesn't actually mean one is open-minded. I've heard that it's generally only popular among girls though, so again, I guess it doesn't really affect me as much.

Your Aspie score: 130 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 90 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie
EQ Score: 37/100 ("low empathy")

Last edited by Magdalena on 13 Feb 2012, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2012, 8:04 pm

I live in a SUPER country homophobic state right in the bible belt so I'd have to say she's going to get MUCH unwanted attention. DANGEROUS unwanted attention.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 1:22 am

At 11 years old I don't think anyone is sure of their sexuality, whether they think they are or not. In the coming 10 years she will probably figure it out, whatever it is.

There's nothing wrong with being bi though; at least now if she really is bi or lesbian she won't have to worry about coming out.

I don't think there is anything you can do, though; the vast majority of children are devoid of logic, or at least cannot be reasoned with using logic.

I would at least try to convince her NOT to tell people; it is too late to contain though, I think, it's probably going to be all over her school. She's probably going to tell people whatever you do, though; she's 11, and if she is just doing it to be popular or whatever, then she'll tell people anyway.

I'm sorry, I don't think there's really much you can do. She will learn from her own mistakes, hopefully.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2012, 4:13 am

Hm...I used to live in Arkansas, and I remember girls in junior high hopping on the bisexual bandwagon as a fad...I don't recall them having to deal with anything super sketchy. My gay dude friends on the other hand...that was rough!

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 11:38 am

If it wasn't this it would be something else. People making the transition from childhood to adolescence are always looking for ways to stand out as an individual, yet conform to the expectations of their social group. Adolescents are--not to put too fine a point on it--insane. Every one of us was, is or will be insane to some extent during our adolescence. She will eventually return to sanity, and whether that is as a straight, bi or lesbian person is irrelevant (and probably unpredictable).

Let's notice the remarkable thing here: she believes that it is cool to be bi. Her understanding of her peer group is that not only is bi acceptable, it is, "in." How terrific is it that, even in a bible belt state, the younger generation are prepared to see things in these terms?