Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

DubSackJack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jan 2012, 5:12 pm

I was diagnosed with asperger's, adhd, and bipolar 8 months ago. What I really want is to be productive and contribute great things that I know i'm capable of. Still, I have never hed a job for more than a few months besides pizza deliver (7 months) and a grocery deli worker (8 months.) I've had well over 20 different jobs, some of which only lasted a few hours, others, a couple of months. I want to support myself, but it seems like I'm unable to.

I currently live off of 197 dollars a month from the state disability lifeline program (WA,) but I can't even afford my medication and to keep my drivers licence. I have an application in with social security, but I don't have high hopes of getting it. I haven't been able to gt a job for the last 1 nd a half years. I need to be able to support myself, even if it means just renting a room. Im fairly confident that I will never have a decent standard of living, but being able to support myself without help from people who won't always be there is very important to me.

I try try try, but never do I see the fruits of my labor. I wish I could have been born normal, because I can't manage time, nor remember to brush my teeth. I can't hold down a job, and I can't keep friends or lovers. I want everything to be easy, just once, but the only way I can see that happening is if I'm dead. I need help, and I don't know where to turn, because everyone in my life has such grand expectations of me. God forbid I don't fulfill them, he knows that I try my best.

Ashuahhe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2012, 6:27 pm

I know that feels. I have been trying to find a job for a good 3 years now, no centerlink support whatsoever. I've been so desperate to find a job that I have taken up a second degree to study this year. Not even the local coles or woolworths is hiring people at the moment. It gets frustrating. I know that feeling where you want to prove to other people that you can support yourself just as well, hey if someone was to offer me a job I would take it. When I was applying with a disability job service, they told me something along the lines of "it looks like you can support yourself, please apply with centerlink" and told me to bugger off. Anyway, remember you are not alone in this. Times are tough right now, even if you don't have support where you live, wrong planet is willing to listen :)

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 3:40 am

I'm sorry you haven't got many replies, I wish I could help. I didn't have to struggle with my jobs so far as much as you had to. Do you have the opportunity to study more or make a living from your interests somehow? Or, gradually learning a trade step by step like an apprentice, to get a better idea of how to deal with people in whatever job you are in? Do you have friends who could tell you what to do in details (I have one)? Just my (not so helpful) thoughts...

NewShinyCD
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Jan 2012, 7:59 am

What are your interests? The computer and medical fields are growing.

I probably got lucky, but 3 years ago I landed a temp job as a tech support phone rep. I hate talking on the phone, but I love computers and fixing things. I managed to get hired on and then was promoted to work in the data center (yay no more phones...well the occasional phone call.) The only thing now is I go to meetings with the higher ups and I've already been told I don't talk loud and apparently I can't sit still.