Page 352 of 399 [ 6381 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 349, 350, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355 ... 399  Next

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 7:46 pm

Wow, that's great, and he can run to you when he has a problem and when his parents don't understand him!

My day was boring, except for talking to my son and my friend. I did laundry. I slept for 3 hours, about. I need a coffee. I need to focus on my long to-do list. But there's nothing on it I can do today, except talk to people.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 12:22 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Wow, that's great, and he can run to you when he has a problem and when his parents don't understand him!

My day was boring, except for talking to my son and my friend. I did laundry. I slept for 3 hours, about. I need a coffee. I need to focus on my long to-do list. But there's nothing on it I can do today, except talk to people.

I can relate to a lot of things he is going through right now, so i can give the parents a little bit of insight into the struggles and can help my nephew to cope with everything in order to be better prepared for life than i was.

Right now sensory issues are a very big problem and i am trying to teach him a few things to non-verbally express his distress whenever he is close to a meltdown. He is wonderful! He is absolutely smart, can read very well already and his special interests include road signs. It reminds me of my own childhood when i see him being excited about these topics. Unfortunately, his father doesn't really understand him and mostly lives in denial about his son's condition which leads to very harsh emotional outbursts. I am not very fond of him.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 7:33 pm

Oh, the "He'll grow out of it... he's BETTER grow out of it" type of parent.

I want to mentor an Aspie or atypically autistic kid too but it might have to be a certain kind I can relate to, I dunno.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 9:58 am

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Oh, the "He'll grow out of it... he's BETTER grow out of it" type of parent.

I want to mentor an Aspie or atypically autistic kid too but it might have to be a certain kind I can relate to, I dunno.

He is this type of parent, yes. He has no patience whatsoever and doesn't want to understand the differences! Especially since he hit my nephew i am in some sort of dilemma. I don't trust him as a father and i never will.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 3:12 pm

You could call youth protection, but then he might be taken away from YOU too... I think I understand...

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 4:06 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
You could call youth protection, but then he might be taken away from YOU too... I think I understand...

I would love to do something about it, but i don't know how, for i don't know how the US legal system works as far as this goes. The only thing i can do at the moment is just to be there for him and give my sister in-law as much input about the condition as possible. She seems to be understanding and supportive of her boy. That is a good start.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 6:07 pm

Yes, that's a good start, and yes, the boy could be taken away if he gets hit again. Just tell the boy to tell you if his father hits him again; telling the police is iffy if he and you want to stay in contact.

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:49 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Yes, that's a good start, and yes, the boy could be taken away if he gets hit again. Just tell the boy to tell you if his father hits him again; telling the police is iffy if he and you want to stay in contact.

Thank you for the advice! We will see what happens. Things have improved a little already, but i will remain skeptical until i see him not being in denial anymore and actually wanting to learn about his son.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 8:09 pm

But just remember, remembering about a diagnosis isn't always the right way to learn about a person who has been labeled with it. Labels cause people to be seen as something the label says might be true even if it isn't true of that person. The same goes for if a label says "People with AS are usually not like this" but what if someone with AS is?

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 12:38 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
But just remember, remembering about a diagnosis isn't always the right way to learn about a person who has been labeled with it. Labels cause people to be seen as something the label says might be true even if it isn't true of that person. The same goes for if a label says "People with AS are usually not like this" but what if someone with AS is?

I will surely keep that in mind. I am usually not the person to put labels on others. I believe in individuality, especially on the autism spectrum. What i want to do is give my nephew and his parents a viewpoint on how to cope with different steps in the life of an autistic kid. And the rest should happen by experiencing their kid. I cannot be around to help him forever, but i want all of them to learn as much as possible without my interference.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2017, 9:29 pm

Just use examples that actually apply to their son; no assumptions that he's probably like this or that because he's autistic. :)

Mr.Robot
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 3:53 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
Just use examples that actually apply to their son; no assumptions that he's probably like this or that because he's autistic. :)

I won't, but thank you for mentioning it!

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 9:10 pm

I often wonder if I am perceived, possibly just ignored because I am annoying. This unwanted thing wants to be a part of your club.

300series
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2017, 9:40 am

Hello every one. May I join this unpopular club? I have been posting on the wrongplanet.net forums for the last few weeks, and only a few of my postings have received any responses. It is making me feel sad. Hopefully I will fit in here with the rest of you.

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 11:45 am

Hi everyone.

I think it's hard with internet forums for people to acknowledge everyone. Everyone is welcome here.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 1:11 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
Hi everyone.

I think it's hard with internet forums for people to acknowledge everyone. Everyone is welcome here.

Yay! :D

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine