Yes 33%  33%  [ 79 ]
No 54%  54%  [ 128 ]
Unsure 13%  13%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 238

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 1:55 pm

Most people want to be in a relationship but not everyone is, or is in one all the time. The second concern that arises is, why and how do relationships end? Do people enter into relationships thinking "how long will this last, how will it end, and what will I do then?". In an ideal world, everyone would enter into a life-long relationship soon after reaching sexual maturity with no regrets ever.

In point of fact, many people who would prefer to be in a relationship are not, but they still have a desire if not an actual need for physical i.e. sexual intimacy with another human being to whom they feel attracted. The only way to satisfy that, short of a bona fide relationship, is casual sex.

I would not criticize anyone for having casual sex, but a genuinely casual sexual encounter can be difficult to achieve. It would be better for all concerned if there was some sort of social convention for unattached people to arrange casual sexual encounters, either one-time or on a regular basis (as in FWB situations) while limiting the risk of getting hurt.

I have only experienced a couple of genuinely casual sexual encounters and these are actually some of my fondest memories. For me, having good casual sex is an enjoyable counterpoint to being a a good relationship (although not concurrently). But in reality, what usually happens is that one person feels less casual about the situation than the other, and things go bad. When I was 23, a girl propositioned me for what I understood later was to be a purely casual hook-up because she had recently broken up with her boyfriend, I was hitting on her, and she probably thought I was someone she could easily dump. In fact, I found out later that she didn't even like me at the time, but later on she became obsessed with me and fearful of losing me. Knowing what I know now, I could probably have taken better advantage of the situation while avoiding hurting her as well, but such things usually happen when we are too young and unsophisticated to not be overwhelmed by the situation.

So, casual sex - yes, at least in principle.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 5:24 pm

Miltzon wrote:
My male logic says, hell yeah!! ! but in reality I've never been able to do it. Sex is the only way I've found to connect on an emotional level, it's when the mask comes off and I can experience emotions that are too complicated to express during normal interpersonal relations. As such, I've never been able to casually do something that has developed into a romantic ritual. I've tried to explain this to my girlfriends over the years however they think I'm just a typical sex-obsessed male.

This hits the nail on the head for me. Sex gives me a fulfillment in bonding I can get no other way. I sort of need it, and with one person on a regular basis, unless I feel worthless and am always irritable. My life feels like it has no point.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2016, 1:57 am

I don't believe in extremes.

I can't do a hookup with just someone I met and have little in common with. At the same time, I wouldn't put my sex life on pause just because someone isn't my perfect soul mate.

For me, intimacy is 10% about the sex/orgasm itself and 90% about the emotional bond, cuddling and playing.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2016, 4:26 am

Sex has absolutely no bonding function for me. I could still do it for the physical pleasure, but then I would need to switch sex partner very frequently as it's only interesting to do a few times with the same girl and after that it becomes boring. Because of this, I decided that I really don't need sex so I identify as asexual instead.

Not only that but getting a crush on somebody seems to make the girl 100% uninteresting for sexual activities.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2016, 4:22 pm

Yes.. many, many, many times over.. yes.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 5:13 am

Just recently showed up on the net:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 1:16 pm

^They needed a study to say "live and let live. If you're into it, be safe and have fun, and if you're not.. then don't hookup."? Duh. Seems rather obvious.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

31 May 2016, 2:17 pm

If i want casual sex, i'll f**k a student with alot of student debt (read :whore)

Nah, bad joke.. I am extremely black and white when it comes to this. It is not my thing.

Moonflowergirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jun 2016, 9:02 am

Nope!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 10:47 am

I had done casual sex in the past, but I don't think I can do it again because I get very emotionally attached to people.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 6:05 pm

No, I think I would have to form a bond with someone before sleeping with them.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 6:10 pm

slw1990 wrote:
No, I think I would have to form a bond with someone before sleeping with them.

Same.

Ecomatt91
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 9:36 pm

Casual sex is a sign of mental breakdown in this society. Its a signal of poor mental health. Anxiety and depression are leading issues within superficial society. Casual sex never make people positive. You must be drunk if you say this it is positive thing.

Women are very superficial and narrow minded when having casual sex because they select men who are 'sexy'. The term sexy is superficial value, which has been portrayed by mainstream media such as film, television, posters, billboard signs and so on. Its unnatural biological concern.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 2:01 pm

Ecomatt91 wrote:
Casual sex is a sign of mental breakdown in this society. Its a signal of poor mental health. Anxiety and depression are leading issues within superficial society. Casual sex never make people positive. You must be drunk if you say this it is positive thing.

Women are very superficial and narrow minded when having casual sex because they select men who are 'sexy'. The term sexy is superficial value, which has been portrayed by mainstream media such as film, television, posters, billboard signs and so on. Its unnatural biological concern.

wtf? :?

Casual sex has nothing to do with a mental breakdown. Countless mentally stable people have casual sex all the time. Casual sex is not a signal of poor mental health. It's simply something some people, who are into it, choose to do. Again, countless people feel great after casual sex. Just because it may not be something you want or need for yourself doesn't make it wrong for others.

It's not just women who are superficial about casual sex. Men are, too. And gay men definitely are. Casual sex isn't about a "loving spiritual connection," it's about physical sexual attraction & pleasure. So, of course people are entirely within their rights to be as selective as they want to be when it comes to who they might like to have casual sex with.

"Sexy" isn't exactly defined by the media. It's determined by hormones and what you're wired to be attracted to. I know what I like and dislike and it has nothing to do with what any media source has told me to like. It sounds, to me, like you allow media images to form your own insecurities about yourself.

What's unnatural biological concern? Casual sex? False. Humans, and animals, have been having casual sex since the dawn of time. Heck, our own cells have evolved to expect multiple partners within a short timeframe - ie sperm cells that function as blockers/attackers of other males' sperm cells so that our fast swimmers can race for the egg. Marriage & other manmade constructs and rules about how people should or shouldn't be having sex are "unnatural biological concern."

F who you want to when you want to, or don't - that's your prerogative - but don't go around telling others what, or who, they can or can't or should or shouldn't do. What's right for you isn't necessarily right for me or others. Period.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 4:36 pm

Ecomatt91 wrote:

This is soo stupidly offensive. Casual sex can be fun and it not as if men aren't superficial I casual sex aswell.

It's not like if you have casual sex you are unable to be happy or have a normal relationship

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 4:51 pm

AHHhhhhhgggggg ahasmhkmahahhhhh an NOOOOOOOOO WTFFFFFF

(sorry, I am having a mental breakdown after casual sex)