Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jan 2012, 9:19 pm

I hate how people think all Aspies have no emotions. I mean I'm the opposite of what everyone thinks Aspies. Are you guys tired of these stereotypes???

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

TheaterAspie
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jan 2012, 10:01 pm

HELL YEAH! What's worse is the stereotype that were mentally ret-ed. Wtf?!??! !?!?

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

31 Jan 2012, 10:23 am

[Moved from Autism Politics, Activism, and Media Representation to General Autism Discussion]

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:25 am

that is becouse we dont show our emotions "properly"; if we are sad, we dont start crying in someones arms, like a "normal" person would do, but we rather do some activity on our own.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:34 am

I get emotions - often quite strong ones - but it can take me a while to figure out what I'm feeling, so I tend to react by just waiting, and piece things together later.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 1:02 pm

izzeme wrote:
that is becouse we dont show our emotions "properly"; if we are sad, we dont start crying in someones arms, like a "normal" person would do, but we rather do some activity on our own.

I don't think I've ever seen many NT men doing this.

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 1:36 pm

my emotions are so strong, they can be scary sometimes.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 1:37 pm

No emotions? ha if only that was something AS came with.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:06 pm

I have to wonder if I had no emotions, would I still have the same opinions & morals.....I might have to try and test this.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:10 pm

My emotions can be so intense it terrifies me. No emotions?! INDEED. HAH!
Even just recalling a memory can bring them back full force.
I guess I'm not just that expressive, though..

Sincerely,
Matt

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:13 pm

i think aspies are highly emotional, but we do have a hard time showing it. i know i have a monotone voice and a faraway look in my eyes. but inside, i feel very stronly about things. i take things to heart.
aspies get rage attacks and often suffer from anxiety (i have both) because we're so emotional, but it's all under the surface. i react very strongly to situations others shrug off. but i don't show how i feel. i may lose sleep over something, not be able to get something out of my mind for the longest time, get obssessed with something, get an obssessive compulsive disorder over something, but i may not say anything or show anything on the outside. people have no idea how i feel.
i even hide my anger by freezing and ignoring so i don't lose it and hurt someone.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:18 pm

TBH, I rather people think I have no emotion, then think I'm angry/upset when I'm not.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 3:30 pm

I have very strong emotions, and they show.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:56 pm

Joe90 wrote:
izzeme wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen many NT men doing this.

i just gave a single, strong, example, of course; there are many other ways in which we show our emotions differently then NTs (if at all)

kBillingsley
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2012, 7:24 pm

Well, I do not have some emotions/empathetic responses. I do not really feel "anger," mostly just some slight frustration, but never even remotely enough to drive me to do something rash. I also have a distinct lack of emotional response to otherwise emotional situations, for example: profuse bleeding, death, seeing open wounds, exciting events such as car crashes, etc... I cannot say that I have ever been "happy" for someone else, but I can identify with an unfortunate situation such as physical trauma or an unfavorable turn of events for a hapless soul.

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

I sometimes feel like I lack the emotional depth that other people seem to possess. Then I'll encounter a thing or situation or person (whatever) that incites an intense surge of feeling in me. I'm starting to think that I might be hardwired to experience things super intensely, and that I've trained myself to suppress those reactions. Not really sure, though. Anyone else?