Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 7:25 pm

I sometimes feel like I lack the emotional depth that other people seem to possess. Then I'll encounter a thing or situation or person (whatever) that incites an intense surge of feeling in me. I'm starting to think that I might be hardwired to experience things super intensely, and that I've trained myself to suppress those reactions. Not really sure, though. Anyone else?

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 7:27 pm

justalouise wrote:
I sometimes feel like I lack the emotional depth that other people seem to possess. Then I'll encounter a thing or situation or person (whatever) that incites an intense surge of feeling in me. I'm starting to think that I might be hardwired to experience things super intensely, and that I've trained myself to suppress those reactions. Not really sure, though. Anyone else?

I have intense feelings towards things and people which interest me, or if I'm feeling highly strung in general.

Frakkin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jan 2012, 7:30 pm

I have emotions. I think I just react differently to other people in the same situation. Some things make me incredibly sad, when other people wouldn't be affected. Or I won't care about something else, but other people would be distraught and miserable. People are more understanding when I'm happy as a result of something they wouldn't. But of course, if they're happy and I'm not, I must be a freak. Yay.

I notice I rarely ever feel anger. Usually just frustration or sadness.

I think I'm better at categorizing my emotions than the average person. They seem satisfied with merely experiencing them. I analyze them because I want to understand them properly. But they still confuse me frequently.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:21 pm

Smile dammit!

I AM smiling you twit.

(I swear I didn't even have to look for this image. It's the number one result for "i am smiling" on Google images! :lol: )

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I have to wonder if I had no emotions, would I still have the same opinions & morals.....I might have to try and test this.

Unlikely

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

31 Jan 2012, 10:36 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I get emotions - often quite strong ones - but it can take me a while to figure out what I'm feeling, so I tend to react by just waiting, and piece things together later.

I do too....I think that's why when I am upset I tend to walk away.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:27 am

I have very strong emotions, but have trouble showing most of them in a situation that isn't "safe". Anger/aggression is an emotion that I can show anywhere and sometimes I behave aggressively when I'm really scared/frustrated/uncertain. Other emotions I can usually show only with my lover and my aspie friends

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:27 am

Mego wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
I get emotions - often quite strong ones - but it can take me a while to figure out what I'm feeling, so I tend to react by just waiting, and piece things together later.

I do too....I think that's why when I am upset I tend to walk away.

It can be quite hard on the other person if they've made me angry or scared of them. Because I don't know what I'm feeling at the time, I tend to smooth over, "forgive," or totally deny any offense or objection, which I seem to do very convincingly, but after that I think about it more and start piecing things together, and the more I think, the more angry I become. Eventually I complain, and they are often shocked at the strength of my negative feelings once they come out......there's something about the fact that in some way they seem to have got one over on me, that makes me feel horribly violated - I guess that's an Aspie's greatest fear about life, to keep getting worked over because we aren't quick enough to spot when we're being abused.......so I fail to nip things in the bud, and they think it's OK to give me more, and I can't see why they didn't just protect me from it properly in the first place. So every time it happens, all the bullying we've been through comes back and feeds into the intensity of my pain. It's very hard for me to see at the time how small and finite such a situation often is - I have to deliberately tell myself about the limits of the damage, and it's scary trying to turn over a clean sheet and give the benefit of the doubt that they won't slide back, because I know I can be so easily worked over. Meanwhile I find it hard to be warm to them, which doesn't help.....by then they're usually feeling gulity enough already.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 5:40 am

izzeme wrote:
that is becouse we dont show our emotions "properly"; if we are sad, we dont start crying in someones arms, like a "normal" person would do, but we rather do some activity on our own.

This definition of proper also irks me.

There are NTs who are also more limited in their emotions, but when people talk about AS, autistics are compared to the NTs who display emotions "correctly" and they are usually very dramatic, the footage of the mourners in North Korea after Kim Jong ll's death come to mind.

HDTV...

Whatever.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 7:27 am

EXPECIALLY wrote:
izzeme wrote:
that is becouse we dont show our emotions "properly"; if we are sad, we dont start crying in someones arms, like a "normal" person would do, but we rather do some activity on our own.

There are NTs who are also more limited in their emotions, but when people talk about AS, autistics are compared to the NTs who display emotions "correctly" and they are usually very dramatic, the footage of the mourners in North Korea after Kim Jong ll's death come to mind.

Are you saying that north koreans, who are controlled by a dictatorship in every possible way, from birth to death, are NT? :lol:

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 8:01 am

Rascal77s wrote:
EXPECIALLY wrote:
izzeme wrote:

Are you saying that north koreans, who are controlled by a dictatorship in every possible way, from birth to death, are NT? :lol:

Haha, "Super" Nts, apparently.

But I do feel awful for those people :/

HDTV...

Whatever.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 8:59 am

Ithink I generally show emotion like normal people do. It's just when I get angry about something I start going into one, but I am just expressing anger to the extreme, making myself look like an insane nutcase to other people. Otherwise, I don't like to suffer alone, I do tell other people about how I'm feeling all the time. I always had done, even as a small child.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 9:51 am

Joe90 wrote:
Ithink I generally show emotion like normal people do. It's just when I get angry about something I start going into one, but I am just expressing anger to the extreme, making myself look like an insane nutcase to other people.

I guess that's why it's called getting mad. I talk a lot with an apparent Aspie who expresses anger extremely.....it's not as dangerous or abusive as it looks.....if I yell back it doesn't work too well, just causes a slanging match, though a loud one-liner after a patch of listening can sometimes do the trick. There's always something in the rant, even though it comes out way too extreme, there's evidence of what's behind the anger. Though it's always so much easier and better when they just tell me what's up, without the "decorations." It's only a problem to me if it's happening a lot. Then I can start feeling a bit humiliated, and I feel suspicious that the friendship is getting one-sided, because I'm the only one doing the work of keeping things civilised enough for good commmunication and shared fun. And it is work. It's still hard for me to contain my anger.....I don't yell much, and I try hard to be assertive, but I end up yelling on the inside a lot, or withdrawing.....anger can't be just switched off. It needs a harmless way of quenching it.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 9:57 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
No emotions? ha if only that was something AS came with.

Yeah. Really. I WISH.

Learned not to show them because we get hurt more for showing them "wrong," is more like it.

Sometimes I think there is something to "Neurotypical Syndrome."

I really dislike deconstructionism (a discipline in literary theory by which mockery and smartassery can be used to make anything mean anything else, although English profs use a more highbrow description) but it's quite a popular school of theory. Maybe for a reason.

RobotGreenAlien2
Toucan
Toucan

02 Feb 2012, 7:17 pm

"I don't have emotions and that makes me sad"
-Bender Bending Rodregas

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 7:32 pm

I have very strong mood shifts and emotions. But I feel like I have an emotional 3 speed where "normal" people have a 10 or 20 speed. I feel anger, angst, and anxiety frequently. But I don't often feel more complex emotions. I am seldom resentful and envy is very foreign to me. Is cruelty an emotion? I have only felt that in relation to someone who abused me badly.