Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 10:34 am

Autism: It's not a processing error, it's a whole different operating system...

I agree with this statement. My little brother who has autism, you can tell that it's a different operating system and just a faulty drive. I sure don't think the same way everyone else does. They are Android, I am windows 7. They are google chrome, I am firefox. They are microsoft word, I am open office. I think you get the point.

what do you think? do you agree or disagree with this statement?

AQ: 36

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2012, 11:03 am

Eh, sure. It can be highlighted with the difference in protocols or platforms.

Personally I am thinking a contrast between TCP and UDP.

NT would generally fit inline with UDP, whereas data sent has less overhead or importance and is given a 'best effort' delivery. There is no verification the information was received correctly by the remote party. Communication over this protocol is smooth and not debilitating if there are brief periods of lost information/packets.

AS, in contrast could be linked more on the TCP side of things. There is more care in verifying your remote party received the correct and uncorrupted data. If it is perceived they have not, you retransmit this information. Communication over this protocol with regards to streams like voice can be severely affected by retransmitting prior corrupt/missing packets back into the real-time voice stream.

It's possible to send the same information, but the differences in the protocols lend themselves to different behaviors with regards to certain purposes or types of data.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 1:46 pm

iceveela wrote:

I agree with this statement. My little brother who has autism, you can tell that it's a different operating system and just a faulty drive. I sure don't think the same way everyone else does. They are Android, I am windows 7. They are google chrome, I am firefox. They are microsoft word, I am open office. I think you get the point.

They are possum, you are raccoon.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 6:14 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
iceveela wrote:

They are possum, you are raccoon.

Exactly!! !

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

or a NT talking to an Aspie is like an XBOX 360 trying to run a PS3 game

Basically there is nothing wrong with being an Aspie... it's not a psychosis in the sense that it's not a delusion or a faulty logic (quite the contrary). Basically, Aspies are not considered normal because NTs have decided so.
....unlike a psychosis such as schizophrenia or paranoia where the subject is really in a state of delusion.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 6:41 pm

tchek wrote:

Basically there is nothing wrong with being an Aspie... it's not a psychosis in the sense that it's not a delusion or a faulty logic (quite the contrary). Basically, Aspies are not considered normal because NTs have decided so.
....unlike a psychosis such as schizophrenia or paranoia where the subject is really in a state of delusion.

True.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Feb 2012, 6:47 pm

tchek wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being autistic, but there's also nothing wrong with being schizophrenic. However, NTs didn't simply decide that "Aspies are different." Rather, people identified as having Asperger's Syndrome are identified as having serious impairments in most or all parts of life which can limit and complicate everything from getting and keeping a job to finding and maintaining a relationship.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 7:00 pm

Verdandi wrote:
tchek wrote:

There's nothing wrong with being autistic, but there's also nothing wrong with being schizophrenic. However, NTs didn't simply decide that "Aspies are different." Rather, people identified as having Asperger's Syndrome are identified as having serious impairments in most or all parts of life which can limit and complicate everything from getting and keeping a job to finding and maintaining a relationship.

I agree with this too. But I also thing that mainly most of our issues is due to the NTization, NT's prefer if you act a certain way, and if we don't, we get fired, and dumped, etc.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 7:07 pm

iceveela wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
tchek wrote:

I agree with this too. But I also thing that mainly most of our issues is due to the NTization, NT's prefer if you act a certain way, and if we don't, we get fired, and dumped, etc.

Why must all of your problems be due to other people? That's the basis of this argument right?

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2012, 8:31 pm

Verdandi wrote:
tchek wrote:

Most of these impairments come from a misunderstanding from NTs. Aspies not being able to keep a job doesn't mean they are lazy, Aspies wanting to be alone doesn't mean they hate everyone, aspies having hard time keeping eye contact doesn't mean they are weak. Aspies being obsessed by one subject doesn't mean they are crazy. Yet they'll be considered as such, from sheer misunderstanding by NTs who are the big majority, and Aspies are ostracized and mocked as a consequence... otherwise it wouldn't be such a big deal. Most aspies are rather happy people.

Last edited by tchek on 01 Feb 2012, 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 8:33 pm

I've heard it described as the difference between Apple and Windows computers.

You will reap what you've sown.

EXPECIALLY
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 9:16 pm

True.

Disagreeing would be like saying autistics are flawed NTs.

Autistics do have some drawbacks in comparison to NTs (since they are the majority) but also have skills that NTs don't have.

Totally different wiring.

A Mac and a PC work in different ways, but can ultimately perform the same tasks.

A PC and a broken PC cannot lol.

HDTV...

Whatever.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 9:21 pm

Phonic wrote:
iceveela wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
tchek wrote:

Why must all of your problems be due to other people? That's the basis of this argument right?
unfortunately, half of communication has to do with other people, so most things are gonna come down to that yes.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Feb 2012, 9:55 pm

iceveela wrote:

Well, that much is often true, but there's also overload, burnout, etc. which NTs can make worse but are things I experienced frequently.

phonic wrote:

A lot of problems as an autistic person are due to other people.

tchek wrote:
Most of these impairments come from a misunderstanding from NTs. Aspies not being able to keep a job doesn't mean they are lazy, Aspies wanting to be alone doesn't mean they hate everyone, aspies having hard time keeping eye contact doesn't mean they are weak. Aspies being obsessed by one subject doesn't mean they are crazy. Yet they'll be considered as such, from sheer misunderstanding by NTs who are the big majority, and Aspies are ostracized and mocked as a consequence... otherwise it wouldn't be such a big deal. Most aspies are rather happy people.

I am fairly certain my sensory overload and shutdowns are not caused by misunderstandings from NTs. Usually they're caused by loud noises, bright lights, and strong smells.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Feb 2012, 10:08 pm

Phonic wrote:
iceveela wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
tchek wrote:

Not all, but a certain amount. The reason why all minorities find it so hard to succeed is due to the bias of the majority.

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm

Clearly there is a social suffering of being misunderstood by almost everyone. But the way we are wired as Aspie (which is different between each Aspie too), even if it is a gain to some respect, is not really forseen by the genome, so there are drawbacks. If we keep the comparison of operating systems, Aspie have a different operating system from NT, and they cannot change it to become NT. And vice versa, NT cannot get the Aspi operating system. We can only emulate each other. But it is true though that "Aspie operating system" is less stable, like an experimental operating system. It's exciting but at the same time we know it's less stable. Anyway we cannot change it, so we can keep it if we like it. I we don't like it, well, anyway, who would want to be an NT ? Maybe it's like boys and girls. Most boys do not want to be girls and most girls do not want to be boys. If you are a boy, and you want to be a girl, well maybe you got the "girl operating system" in fact.