Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2012, 10:59 pm

Clearly there is a social suffering of being misunderstood by almost everyone. But the way we are wired as Aspie (which is different between each Aspie too), even if it is a gain to some respect, is not really forseen by the genome, so there are drawbacks. If we keep the comparison of operating systems, Aspie have a different operating system from NT, and they cannot change it to become NT. And vice versa, NT cannot get the Aspi operating system. We can only emulate each other. But it is true though that "Aspie operating system" is less stable, like an experimental operating system. It's exciting but at the same time we know it's less stable. Anyway we cannot change it, so we can keep it if we like it. I we don't like it, well, anyway, who would want to be an NT ? Maybe it's like boys and girls. Most boys do not want to be girls and most girls do not want to be boys. If you are a boy, and you want to be a girl, well maybe you got the "girl operating system" in fact.

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Feb 2012, 11:16 pm

Verdandi wrote:
I am fairly certain my sensory overload and shutdowns are not caused by misunderstandings from NTs. Usually they're caused by loud noises, bright lights, and strong smells.

The misunderstanding is obviously the consequence, and not the cause of those issues.

Zur-Darkstar
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Feb 2012, 11:47 pm

I think it's more profound than that. I often feel I am closer to being a computer than I am to being an NT. I certainly understand computers a great deal more.

BAPD--124 aloof, 88 rigid, 83 pragmatic
EQ/SQ--21/78--Extreme systematizing

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Feb 2012, 11:54 pm

tchek wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
I am fairly certain my sensory overload and shutdowns are not caused by misunderstandings from NTs. Usually they're caused by loud noises, bright lights, and strong smells.

The misunderstanding is obviously the consequence, and not the cause of those issues.

Huh?

tchek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Feb 2012, 10:38 am

Verdandi wrote:
tchek wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Huh?

I'm saying that the social consequences of those issues, are as much big of a deal as the issues themselves.

I learned to deal with my sensory overloads, eye-contact avoidance (i wear tinted glasses or avoid noisy places...) or desire of being alone, but the incomprehension of my surrounding and society over it, IS still a problem.
If people could get over the fact I don't look at them in the eyes, and I need time off, then life would be simpler, but they don't understand thus cut contact with me or don't even try.
Basically, those issues wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for misunderstanding by NTs.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2012, 11:23 am

Quote:
If people could get over the fact I don't look at them in the eyes, and I need time off, then life would be simpler, but they don't understand thus cut contact with me or don't even try.

Wow... I never had that kind of issue with no looking at others eyes... in fact, no one ever seemed to care that I never made eye contact with them...

AQ: 36

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 11:28 am

NTs run Windows Vista.

Aspies run Linux.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 2:10 pm

tchek wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
tchek wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

Huh?

I'm saying that the social consequences of those issues, are as much big of a deal as the issues themselves.

I learned to deal with my sensory overloads, eye-contact avoidance (i wear tinted glasses or avoid noisy places...) or desire of being alone, but the incomprehension of my surrounding and society over it, IS still a problem.
Basically, those issues wouldn't be such a big deal if it wasn't for misunderstanding by NTs.

That might be true for you but isn't for me.

Social consequences of my sensory overloads aren't nearly as bad as my meltdowns, shutdowns, and migraines caused by my sensory issues.

(I really like the UDP/TCP analogy)

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 2:28 pm

NTs=MsDOS ASD=Windows vista!

Like the analogy, brains are wired differently in different people. This holds true for Schizophrenics & Bi-polars too(though BP is more with emotion).

Matthew

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 3:49 pm

Matt62 wrote:

Like the analogy, brains are wired differently in different people. This holds true for Schizophrenics & Bi-polars too(though BP is more with emotion).

Matthew

You're comparing yourself to Windows Vista.

[Cancel] [Allow]

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 5:16 pm

circular wrote:
(...) But it is true though that "Aspie operating system" is less stable, like an experimental operating system. It's exciting but at the same time we know it's less stable. Anyway we cannot change it, so we can keep it if we like it. I we don't like it, well, anyway, who would want to be an NT ?

Yes, yes.

Less stability => Meltdowns, shutdowns. You shut down the system and start it over. A meltdown is like when the system is overheated and needs cooling. Too much input can cause it. Don't temper with the clock frequency! It can be slow, but at least it works (more or less).

Not much has been told about communication problems between ASD operation systems. Unfortunately, they can be just as flawed as between any other platforms... :?

MindWithoutWalls
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 5:54 pm

I met a little Elf-man, once,
Down where the lilies blow.
I asked him why he was so small
And why he didn't grow.
He slightly frowned, and with his eye
He looked me through and through.
"I'm quite as big for me," said he,
"As you are big for you."

—JOHN KENDRICK BANGS.

(My mother used to recite this to me when I was a child. I loved it.)

There are advantages and drawbacks to each kind of brain. My brain works as well for me as other people's work for them. Society at large is geared more towards their way of functioning, hence some of the social (as well as some of the other other) issues I have. If left to myself, however, there are still things I struggle with. That's why I'm trying to figure out where I need a little help, rather than trashing myself for having some sort of "moral failing" because of what I can't do or can't do very well on my own.

I think one reason autism is diagnosed more these days is because of society's drift, in some ways, towards a way of operating that is increasingly unfriendly to the autistic brain (though not for any reason that would have anything to do with causing intentional distress to autistics, of course). Things are set up a little differently from before, so it may be harder for an Aspie to sort of "hide out" while still making what would be recognized as a worthwhile contribution at the same time. Now, if you're different, it's less sociopolitically acceptable to be openly mean towards you, but those with the authority do have an increased tendency to hunt down the "aberrant" children for diagnosis and treatment, however inept and/or misguided they may be at their delivery of such.

How much of life's struggle is caused by others versus caused by our own internal works? As has been said before, if you've met one of us, you've met one.

Loitering is encouraged at The Wayshelter: http://wayshelter.com

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2012, 6:58 pm

MindWithoutWalls wrote:
I met a little Elf-man, once,
Down where the lilies blow.
I asked him why he was so small
And why he didn't grow.
He slightly frowned, and with his eye
He looked me through and through.
"I'm quite as big for me," said he,
"As you are big for you."

—JOHN KENDRICK BANGS.

(My mother used to recite this to me when I was a child. I loved it.)

So nice. :D

Quote:
Now, if you're different, it's less sociopolitically acceptable to be openly mean towards you, but those with the authority do have an increased tendency to hunt down the "aberrant" children for diagnosis and treatment, however inept and/or misguided they may be at their delivery of such.

I can feel that.

circular
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2012, 6:58 pm

OJani wrote:
circular wrote:
(...) But it is true though that "Aspie operating system" is less stable, like an experimental operating system. It's exciting but at the same time we know it's less stable. Anyway we cannot change it, so we can keep it if we like it. I we don't like it, well, anyway, who would want to be an NT ?

Yes, yes.

Less stability => Meltdowns, shutdowns. You shut down the system and start it over. A meltdown is like when the system is overheated and needs cooling. Too much input can cause it. Don't temper with the clock frequency! It can be slow, but at least it works (more or less).

That clock analogy is very good.

Quote:
Not much has been told about communication problems between ASD operation systems. Unfortunately, they can be just as flawed as between any other platforms... :?

Well maybe, but for now it seems to me that I have never been able to communicate so easily with other people.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

03 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

Asp-Z wrote:
Matt62 wrote:

Matthew

You're comparing yourself to Windows Vista.

[Cancel] [Allow]

My brain hits BSOD far too often to not be Windows...

Tuttle wrote:
That might be true for you but isn't for me.

Social consequences of my sensory overloads aren't nearly as bad as my meltdowns, shutdowns, and migraines caused by my sensory issues.

Yes, same for me. While I am aware of social consequences (such as people assuming I am angry when I leave the room to avoid overload) they don't seem to loom so heavily as losing hours at a time to shutdowns or the occasional meltdown. Of course, I miss a lot of social stuff so there could be more severe consequences that are as of yet invisible to me.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 12:18 am

My OS takes forever to boot, and I think someone overclocked my processor. I'm also very low on RAM.