How many of you are on OKcupid?

Page 36 of 38 [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 11:14 am

VERY well put!

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jul 2012, 1:17 pm

I had more results with the small aspie affection site, then with okcupid thus far.

MyFutureSelfnMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 3:47 pm

Quantum_Immortal wrote:
I had more results with the small aspie affection site, then with okcupid thus far.

I checked out Aspie Affection a long time ago, but technical and design issues with the site made me want to headbutt my monitor.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 4:20 pm

Quantum_Immortal wrote:

Same here. Actual conversations! lol.
If you put in the time with this site there are people who are more likely to respond to you.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 2:07 am

Quantum_Immortal wrote:

Pity there are so few on there that live anywhere close to me! The only one who lives close is the one who likes me the least. ;)

Oh well... I'll just have to leave my suite more often and talk to people. ;)

GoldCoinLover
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jul 2012, 1:52 pm

I'm on OKcupid. Pretty much given up on that stupid website and all dating in general. I guess something on my profile screams out "unconfident" or "nerdy!" or "red flag! stay away!" or something because even if most women there are very shallow, (or some, at least), I am in good shape and it doesn't attract shallow women anyway. Not that I want that at all, but I haven't gotten a PM back or any interest from anyone there for over a year, despite messaging people many, many times. (different people)

It makes me worse actually. It makes me feel flawed as a person. What's wrong with me? What am I dong wrong? I don't even want to know my flaws, i already feel flawed enough with aspergers and body dysmorphia. I guess the lack of confidence shows through the writing, despite my good talent and creativity and intelligent, and curiousity and openess. Just alot of people there seem very superficial, especially around my age (early-mid 20's) unfortunately. Perhaps I'm more mature than them in taht regard.

Our society in my opinion, tends to place way too much empahsis on physical appearance, whether its how in shape you are, your skin tone, make up for women, and somehow erroneiously equates this with success or happiness. It couldn't be further from the truth. I've lost 101 lbs and gone from 30% bodyfat down to 10% , gotten quite lean and muscular in the process, and feel worse now (physically and emotionally) than I did was I was fatter. And the media is wrong. It doesn't matter a thing. What matters is your values as a PERSON. Your intelligent, curiosuity, humor, spontaegeious, all of those traits, depending on who you ask, are different but more important. And this superficiality in our society is a shame, but I guess it reflects the social norms of societies in the United States, perhaps due to the paradox of most of America being overweight.

it's quite odd that despite most of america being overweight (And perhaps I should define overweight as "overfat", technically, I'm overweight, but I have extra muscle mass, so I'm not, actually in good shape) and yet as there seems to be a surprlus of food, a rash of eating disorder develops in most westernized societies, where as some rrural societies there are none, and overweight is valued. Isn't it good in a society that is mostly overweight, where models and such that are admired only make up about 1% of the pouplation, is considered ideal? Do people know that is unrealistic?

I see it all the time now. People make comments, it reflects back to hurtful things but my past, but accepting them can be hard. Oh, people tell me sometimes, even strangers. One time one guy at the grocery store commented, (not trying to brag, just making a point, read further) "Oh man, you look like you workout, you're in really good shape. I'm not trying to be weird or anything, I'm straight, but I want to look like you." this was someone I didn't know who was a bagger at a grocery store.

One time about 5 months ago in the fall i was running to the bank, got there gasping for air as I am not a good runner (although a good biker). A somewhat upscale fancy bank, a formally dressed lady greeted me at the door. I told i went there, ran there, she said, "Oh, it must be easy for you. You're in great shape." And then gave some water bottles. It's weird how people make assumptions about people, overweight (sometimes negatie), or in shape (sometimes positive) that have NOTHING TO DO with physical apperance, other assumptions, "Oh, that person must know what he's doing. He must be smart or successful." It's sad that in this society this, reflects and engrained in our society, indirectly and falsely correlated with these other traits as people make assumptions, is so flawed. this upsets me sometimes. Sorry for the long rant. But it isn't always rosy . when I lost weight I thought my life would be perfect. It isn't/wasn't, it's worse now. Again sorry for being so negative. perhaps i'm cynical. my professor said cynical comes from the greek word "koomah" (sp?) which means dog. Looking down everyone as dogs, "Oh, that person's a dog!" with a negative viewpoint. Perhaps that's what our society does, (sometimes, unfortunately) for very overweight/obese peope, yet regards people in good shape. It isn't this way in asian countries, at least, not as much as here, even though they have westernized (Thanks to the USA).

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:13 pm

GoldCoinLover wrote:
I'm on OKcupid. Pretty much given up on that stupid website and all dating in general. I guess something on my profile screams out "unconfident" or "nerdy!" or "red flag! stay away!" or something because even if most women there are very shallow, (or some, at least), I am in good shape and it doesn't attract shallow women anyway. Not that I want that at all, but I haven't gotten a PM back or any interest from anyone there for over a year, despite messaging people many, many times. (different people)

My profile must be like that too! I probably come across as lacking confidence (even though my profile sounds more like a jock than a nerd). I honestly would like to know what the %@#$# women want because when I changed my profile to fit an "ideal" profile, I went from little interest to none. I'm reminded of Bertrand Russell's quote from 1950 as it's more relevant than ever:

The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.

I know the few successful players on dating sites tell me woman are only good to "f*** and chuck" on these sites and tell me they just put whatever the women want to hear. I'm cursed with being honest and respectful I suppose. Again, I get plenty of people who say I'm a great catch, but they are universally much older and married. I've also noticed all the men I know that are eternally single are all great people who treat everyone they meet with respect. They probably would make excellent fathers too and one is VERY well off financially. Like one young woman recently told me: "You think men don't know what women want? Women don't know what women want!"

I highly recommend getting off-line if if you have any interest in gaining confidence or having a positive attitude towards young women. I am honestly shocked by how shallow, egotistical and rude almost all women are on these sites are and the incredible sense of entitlement they possess. I gave up at age 22 because the woman were so immature but 8 years later they are just as bad. For crying out loud, some of these women are in their 30's and STILL haven't grown up and *we* are supposed to be the later bloomers!

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:28 pm

Found my bf there. :heart:
Had to kiss a few frogs first.
I worked so hard on my profile- almost a shame to delete it.
I hid a bunch of TNG references in it. :lol:
That, and my love of philosophy, politics, and study of the human condition.
I also quoted Nietszche and Walt Whitman a few times, I think.

>.>

to his Interest."

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:43 pm

ValentineWiggin wrote:
I worked so hard on my profile- almost a shame to delete it.

You could always just save the webpage. That way when you delete it, you will still have the page as a reminder. I keep some old stuff like that for nostalgia purposes.

Now to answer the question of the thread. No, I'm not on OKcupid and doubt I will be. I dislike dating sites in general, just makes the whole process seem a bit forced to an extent. Plus, having to go to lengths to make myself seem pleasing to strangers doesn't appeal to me. Also, due to being male I would most likely have to initiate all contact, and most likely be rejected as woman would most likely have a number of men to choose from.

MindAsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2012, 2:53 am

found that site to be utterly useless and full of people who are about as intelligent as rocks..

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 3:00 am

MindAsh wrote:
found that site to be utterly useless and full of people who are about as intelligent as rocks..

I find that site has the most intelligent people out of any site I've tried. I've tried a few.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 5:00 am

Desukani wrote:
MXH wrote:
BlueMax wrote:
Those forums were SCARY!! You think WP has a bunch of immature jerks? That place was loaded with trolls!

I'm lucky I escaped with my skin! :D

I always say as hard headed as some are here its still loads better than most forums

you havent really met the lowest of the low on there until youve encountered [named redacted because he's probably prone to googling himself a lot].
But yeah, i think you gotta have some pretty tough skin to deal with those forums though.

Oh no! Please don't mention that name, he might join here! :lol:

I don't think the forums are all that tough. it just seems like a barn full of funny animals to me.

mattron
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

30 Jul 2012, 7:53 am

IM on OK cupid, havent had much luck

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 8:27 am

Is it strange to say that I tried that website out and found stranger people then what you would find abnormal here? 8O

Some girl from California is stalking my profile now. :cry:

Strange really as she's not exactly my type, plus shouldn't she be looking for Californians and not Mancunians?

May try Aspie Affection, as I know they'll have a better idea on what they want.

BlueMax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:10 am

I don't get why girls from the Phillipines, etc, check out my profile... prospecting for Canadian citizenship??

DialAForAwesome
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2012, 10:12 am

Agreed with GiantHockeyFan and GoldCoinLover. And the worst part is, it doesn't seem to get better later on either.