Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 8:53 am

nick007 wrote:
I think it depends on the circumstances. If the person does it because of their disorder or life issues related to their disorder; I think the person should be treated & given help instead of put in jail. I think it would be more cost effective to treat that instead of keeping the person in prison & the person could commit crimes again when they get out of prison if he/she doesn't get the treatment & help

Who isn't in prison for disorders or life issues? I would like to see more focus on rehabilitation in the prison system vs punitive warehousing. I know they do offer some counseling and education, but if the government continued to focus more on this than the punishment aspect there might be less repeat offenders- which would be more cost effective in the long term anyway.
I'm not saying the punitive aspect doesn't have its place. There are some people who can't or won't be rehabilitated and should remained locked away from society. It just seems it would be most effective to try to correct whatever caused the criminal behavior(mental illness, drug addiction, lack of skills, etc) whenever possible to turn out a functional member of society. Otherwise, it's just a very long "time out".

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:56 am

Fnord wrote:

So, if 32-year old "Crazy Johnny" is a in the custody of his parents, and he assaults some eight-year old girl, then he should be found "Guilty While Insane", locked away, treated for his insanity until he is deemed cured, and then serve out the criminal portion of his sentence. Meanwhile, his parents are declared to have aided and abetted his crime through their negligence, and they are held liable for not only the cost of the eight-year old's treatment (and possible funeral expenses), but for the court costs and legal fees - not to mention any other civil liabilities that the girl's family may bring against them.

unfortunately, there is no "cure" for insanity.

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

Jamesy wrote:
do you think its unfair that people with mental health problems get the same punishment as normal (put in jail) by the law if they commit a criminal offense like aggravated assult?

Did they know the difference between right and wrong. If they did, then no matter how dull they are, they deserve the same punishment. If they didn't know the difference they should be kept in restraint as a potential danger to others.

ruveyn

TM
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 12:51 pm

Ideally people who do so should get treatment provided that their condition was related to their crime. It depends on what you define as "mental health problems" does it include things like Anti social personality disorder?