Psychologists in New York / New Jersey areas (United States)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

thementat
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

I've been recently diagnosed as having mild AS.
I live near New York (Manhattan) in the US and this posting is for people who live in this area.

I have my own health insurance and not through work place. It seems that psychologist are covered only for biological related mental illness and I don't think AS is considered as such. In any event, I wanted to ask people in this area about possible insurance plans that do cover (if they exist) and what is the average rate for a session by a psychologist. The reason I'm asking is it is quite expensive, so far, and if I see a psychologist for a long period of time, perhaps I should investigate a little and see if I can save some money.

Your thoughts/experience are appreciated.

lotuspuppy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 2:55 am

I'm not a New Yorker, but I lived in Washington for some time. I sought a psychologist there, and my experience is that most insurance plans do not cover psychologists or psychiatrists in that city. Washington had a high concentration of wealthy individuals who bid up mental health services. I could obtain them, but only out-of-pocket. I'd much rather make my rent over my psychologist's bills.

I would think New York is the same way, particularly Manhattan. The most affordable services (and sometimes more effective services) are farther away from urban cores.

thementat
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Feb 2012, 8:45 pm

lotuspuppy wrote:
I'm not a New Yorker, but I lived in Washington for some time. I sought a psychologist there, and my experience is that most insurance plans do not cover psychologists or psychiatrists in that city. Washington had a high concentration of wealthy individuals who bid up mental health services. I could obtain them, but only out-of-pocket. I'd much rather make my rent over my psychologist's bills.

I would think New York is the same way, particularly Manhattan. The most affordable services (and sometimes more effective services) are farther away from urban cores.

Yes and ouch! The first psychologist was $300 and the second one $450 for session, which isn't even an hour but 45 minutes. And I thought the first one was expensive when I started seeing him. Lucky for me, I make good money but this is still a major expense. I believe the first psychologist I've seen is good because he definitely pointed out certain things which made sense to me and there is a back and forth. Years ago I went to a different psychologist and I did %95 of the talking until I ran out of things to say. Anyways, he recommended a different psychologist that is a child/adolescent/adult psychologist which has development disorders as his area of expertise. I do feel like he is knowing what he is talking about after a few sessions and I don't want the risk of going to somebody without a reference for a lower cost and finding out he is not good. They way I see it, if I get something out of it, as long as I don't end up broke, it is worth the investment.