Odd things that you make you feel irrationally angry?

Page 1 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

I know many of us probably get angry quite easily, but most of the time I'm sure that we can pinpoint why we're mad. There are some things, though, that I realize make me incredibly angry, but I can not figure out why. For instance:

My mom used to make me wake up my sister in the mornings before I left for school. I'd go into her room, call her name, then wait to make sure she was up. However, every time my sister woke up, she would seem entirely disoriented. She would look around the room and mutter "huh, huh", and for whatever reason, the combination of her disoriented face and incoherent mumbling would make me SO ANGRY. I had to walk out of the room immediately...I would just want to punch her in the face! It was actually a combination of anger and disgust, and I can not figure out why something like that should make me angry. It's different from times that I feel that my anger is irrational, but my personal reasoning makes sense to me...

Also, acapella singing and repeated words or sounds make me want to vomit (too bad I have a boyfriend who LOVES to sing). I can listen to the same song over and over and over and over for hours, but I can't stand for just one word or one sound to be repeated multiple times. This especially sucks, because sometimes I'll get a word or short phrase stuck in my head, and it will keep repeating over and over, and I have to shake my head and get angry to make it stop. haha.

Any weird anger triggers for you?

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 12:15 pm

People talking to me like a Valley Girl, making everything sound like a question at the end, when they know damn well that I don't feel female.

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 12:56 pm

Tickles , make me murderous (barely exaggerating )
The obvious ones like not being believed , people being thick seemingly on purpose , but the weirdest one is this one :
people refusing to learn . I'll try to help someone by telling them about something they obviously don't know , and they say something like "i don't care " or "i don't need to know anyway " and i can become very aggressive ...it's just not normal , how can anybody just REFUSE to learn something new ...

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 1:12 pm

I hate seeing other people watch TV, but I know why I feel that way so it's not a mystery. It irritates me because it's such a passive activity, it makes the person look vacant and empty inside, and because I feel like they are ignoring me while they watch. It makes me feel like I'm alone in a room full of zombies, and that makes me really angry.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

When people worry about something looking funny on them. When people care more about fashion and looking great than about their health. When people try to impress strangers by looking good and acting good, even though really nobody is even taking any notice.

When my mum doesn't let me have any emotions. I've got to be happy all day, every day, and if my mood slips a bit, she would yell, ''you're in a stroppy mood!'' And when I am happy, I can see in her face that she's thinking, ''good, she's happy.'' And so next time something upsets me, I must remember to act like a zombie, just say ''oh dear, that is terrible, woe with me'' in a flat monotonous voice, and walk away - especially if it's when I first get up or when I come back from being out. I'm ''not allowed'' to come back from somewhere or get up feeling miserable and snappy, I HAVE TO keep up this happy mood every day of my life. Unfortauntely that is not possible, which is why it makes me so angry.

When I say something to my brother like, ''can you not slam the back door so hard - it's annoying'', and he goes, ''well it's annoying when we hear you go on about your obsessions!'' I just HATE it when people backfire like that.

When people laugh when my foot slips a bit on the ice, like they're laughing on purpose just to put me off and make me slip right over.

The way NTs lack empathy. Yes, THEY LACK EMPATHY.

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Feb 2012, 1:43 pm

Watching some people eat. I cannot really say why. It always involves middle-aged or old men and although they show no bad behaviour, it makes me so mad and it is just disgusting to watch that I want to throw up. Completely irrational, but the reason why I don't eat in public places. :oops:

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 2:16 pm

Well, I'd guess there's a battery of things that can be irrationally annoying for an autistic person... :wink:

For me, when someone taps their fingers on something like a briefcase, a seat, the desk, the wall, anything. I know it's a stim... That's why I call it irrational.

The smell of cigarette smoke when it suddenly hits me on the sidewalk. The smell of someone sitting beside me on the city bus (smell of pub, smoke, perfume, staleness).

I can tolerate when someone sings something, but sometimes it annoys me too for the same reason, they stick in my mind even if I don't want them to. I confess I'm guilty of singing myself...

I remember as a teenager I was almost always angry when I stayed in my room doing something alone that could be considered one of my special interests and my mother opened the door telling me something as little of importance as "It's dinner in 10 minutes" I'd become a bit angry just because my loneliness and privacy had been temporarily limited... If she didn't shut the door properly I'd shout after her. Yes, I was such a dumb-ass.

How to control them? Well, I noticed that there's either a positive or a negative feedback loop depending upon how you perceive the situation, how you think of it . It's not at all easy to elude the positive one (which in this situation is considered the negative outcome). When I'm in good mood and there are not many and not too intense factors that contribute to my anxiety (including sensory overload) I'm more able to choose the negative feedback loop by positive thinking and distraction techniques.

fleurdelily
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

unexpected loud noises make me fly off the handle, and it can take days or longer to calm back down, by then I've likely said and done things to make matters worse

hearing the F-bomb from people walking past my house. the sidewalk is kinda close to the house--which makes me crazy, but also, I hear things I just don't want to hear, like the F-word, and there's nothing I can do about it. If I'd have talked like that as a kid, I'da not been able to sit down for a week--but these disrespectful little foul mouthed punks just walk along casually, spewing filth, even if they see me there, they don't care. :evil:

Last edited by fleurdelily on 09 Feb 2012, 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm

Eating noises, loud breathing, sniffling and snorting. Basically. any noise that my Dad makes. :wink:
The ones that irritate me the most:
a) when he drinks a mouthful of tea, he feels the need to swish it around in his mouth a few times before swallowing
b) he'll snort, wait a few seconds, then loudly swallow his mucus. I hate the few seconds in between because I know the swallow is coming
c) the "HRRRRRM, MRM, HUUUUR" throat noises he makes whilst eating

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

I get overly angry when I'm accused of something I didn't do, or accused of lying when I'm telling the truth. I also get very mad when people try and tell me what I'm feeling (and they are wrong) or try to say my motives are different than what they are.

The ridiculous things I get angry about are some harmless things that my mother says, like when she says "gross". I have no idea why that bothers me, except that it used to bother me because she started saying it when I was 12, in a tone of voice she used when she was trying to "be cool and speak the lingo". She still says it in that tone. I also get angry when she will call something by another name or mess up the name of something when she's doing it on purpose because she thinks it's cute. She does it sometimes, and pretends that she doesn't know the correct name. You can tell because when someone corrects her she says "Well, whatever it is" in a slightly louder and jovial voice. When she really gets the name of something wrong, she says "Oh" and repeats the correct name.

I get angry when my husband says "silencio" loud for everybody to be quiet because he mispronounces it and I've told him a million times how to pronounce it. Also when he insists on saying "munsters" instead of "monsters". The Munsters was a tv show, it's fine to say it when you are talking about them, but not when you are talking about a vampire, mummy, etc. When he uses that type of speech to speak to his mother that Lilly Tomlin used in Laugh In when she was the little girl in the rocking chair, it infuriates me. He doesn't do it all the time, only for emphasis on something, and it usually only happens once while we are there when I go and it's always only a few words. His mother tends to use it a lot. It's usualy used to mean something is endearing.

I get angry when people shower and leave wet towels in the bathroom and also when they just leave the shower curtain open afterwards and a wet washcloth in the bathtub. They know that I will pick it up, and I do, but I see it as very disrespectful. Yes, it's my job to take care of the house, because I chose that as a job, but don't treat me like a GD maid! I've mentioned it many times, but it's just not worth the argument and strife caused by finding out who did it, and telling them, because they are usually pretty good about picking up after themselves, and that only happens two or three times a week, and they could just be in a hurry or forgot.

I never say anything about the ridiculous things, and nobody knows I'm angry. There isn't any need to because I'm sure I have lots of behaviors that cause the same reaction in others. I do say something about the things in the first paragraph, because they are much more serious.

I detest being interrupted, and while it's not serious, it's rude. I either continue talking in a louder voice while the interrupter is trying to speak, or I say "Excuse me for talking while you were interrupting..." and go on after they are done. Sometimes, when they are done, I finish what I was saying, picking up right where they interrupted me, midsentence and all, even going so far as to start in mid-word if I'm in that kind of mood. If I can tell that the person meant no disrespect or disregard, then I listen to what they are saying and go back and say what I was going to say with something like "Right and..." or "Yeah but..." or even "I know, but like I was saying...." without a mean tone of voice or anything.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 7:23 pm

Huh, I use that exact phrase, "irrationally angry", to describe my reactions to things when I think my internal response is disproportionate to the triggering occurrence and can't explain why. In my case, it tends to be things like certain sorts of lighthearted teasing, requests I consider arbitrary or power related, or hovering in my personal space while I'm working.

clm22
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Feb 2012, 7:44 pm

With me its when im out and travelling. I hate people walking right behind or in front of me and I hate using buses as they get crowded and too noisy quickly :p always good to have a mobile and earphones XD

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 9:12 pm

clm22 wrote:
With me its when im out and travelling. I hate people walking right behind or in front of me and I hate using buses as they get crowded and too noisy quickly :p always good to have a mobile and earphones XD

haha. If the person walking in front of me is keeping a pace slower than my own, I immediately develop an intense desire to push them or knock them down. In order to not do this, I typically bounce up and down on my heel as I walk to calm my anxiety.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 4:17 am

So many things trigger me it is amazing that I don't punch someone every day! Luckily I have managed to control that impulse...

But most of my irritations are to do with noise. There is a name for it, misophonia. It is where you get irritated with certain noises, quite commonly eating noises among others, and it can range from 'ugh that's annoying' to 'OH MY GOD I WANT TO HIT YOU' then when you mix ADHD into it, 'Oops did I just punch someone? Yep...' My main noise triggers are eating noises (especially crunching and gum chewing), hearing a tsk tsk noise from an MP3 player and certain words if they are said in a particular tone. Quite commonly people with misophonia have a 'trigger person' who irritates them more than others as well and I definitely am worse with some people than others.

I also go insane if I see someone chewing and as with the other poster who mentioned this (sorry I can't see the names because of my zoom screen!) it is often older or elderly men. I never would, but I feel like slapping them!

So yeah, I have a lot of irrational anger. I think it is because I pay too much attention to everything!

ediself
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 4:27 am

Guineapigged wrote:
Eating noises, loud breathing, sniffling and snorting. Basically. any noise that my Dad makes. :wink:
The ones that irritate me the most:
a) when he drinks a mouthful of tea, he feels the need to swish it around in his mouth a few times before swallowing
b) he'll snort, wait a few seconds, then loudly swallow his mucus. I hate the few seconds in between because I know the swallow is coming
c) the "HRRRRRM, MRM, HUUUUR" throat noises he makes whilst eating

ARRRRRRRRRRRGH!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! god, so gross.
On the same note , my grandfather eats yogurt in a HORRIBLE way. He lifts the spoon, and sticks his WHOLE tongue out before putting the spoonful in his mouth ,you can see the white stuff on his tongue ...My mother , as a result ,can't stand the mere idea of yogurt , my sister and cousins and i used to run from the table swearing we didn't want dessert as kids ,everytime we were at our grandparents ....No violence here but I swear I wanted to scream at him to keep his tongue inside his mouth .

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Feb 2012, 12:07 pm

The most unusual things make me very angry. I hate drumming circles, even though they are supposed to be calming, they make me want to punch holes in all the drums and yell. I also can't stand smoke detectors when they go off, I can be angry for hours afterwards. I don't mind all loud sounds, though, so I don't think it's just because they're loud.