Odd things that you make you feel irrationally angry?

Page 6 of 10 [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 9:35 pm

"Advertisement-speak" on British TV.

There is a way that the narrators of TV commercials, and also TV channel announcers speak in the UK, that seems to be the industry standard "way to speak," that annoys the living s**t out of me.

This way uses a downward "tune" to the speech that is like a massive exaggeration of anything you would hear in real speech. Like, if it were the tune of a song, the first 80% of any sentence starts high, and the final words are like an octave lower. EVERY sentence.

Nobody in real life talks like that! It's only heard on TV commercials and when those unseen people announce the next show coming up (why do we still have those people? US TV mostly doesn't have those people....)

It's getting on my nerves so badly that I'm turning off the volume every commercial break, I so do not want to hear that stupid way of talking.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 9:43 pm

I wish they didn't have commercials or adverts.

I remember getting so aggravated that my golf tournament was interrupted because they were chasing O.J. in the Bronco.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2017, 9:51 pm

Yep, everything stopped for that Bronco chase, lol!

I don't really mind commercials in themselves, as some of them can actually be quite amusing. Believe it or not, I enjoyed American commercials! I loved the silly ones for Peppermint Patties, like the woman who fantasized about being on a ski slope in her living room! And the "Meow meow meow meow!" song for Meow Mix! I used to sing along and sing it to my cat, lol!

The only one in the UK that I like happens to involve an American guy!

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2017, 5:57 am

Mark Kermode (BBC arts/film correspondent). I'm sure he's a nice guy in-person, I can't quite put my finger on it but something about him irks me, making me scowl at the TV whenever he's on. Is it his weird name? Or the fact that he looks like a hipster version of Tommy Lee Jones? Am I just jealous of his career? Perhaps we met on a battlefield in a past life?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 6:09 am

Haha, Mark Kermode is kind of annoying!

I think he also looks like Chris Packham the wildlife guy. They have identical haircuts and similar faces.

TUAndrew
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Aug 2017, 6:11 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Haha, Mark Kermode is kind of annoying!

I think he also looks like Chris Packham the wildlife guy. They have identical haircuts and similar faces.

I like Chris Packham, and he's an aspie.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 6:57 am

I like Chris too, and I'm in awe of his vast knowledge in his field -- although I don't always agree with a couple of his theories.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 8:44 am

Pet food commercials are the only ones that don't annoy me. I sang the "Meow, meow, meow, meow" jingle to my cats, too. I have seen some very nice pet food ads. My favorite was one for "Good Life" cat food. There was a beautiful Siamese cat in that ad who bore a striking resemblance to one of my feral cats, a beautiful Snowshoe Siamese.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 9:17 am

That Meow song was really cute, yeah! A lot of the pet related ones are quite fun.

There was one US commercial that was unbelievably annoying during the 90s (I don't know if it's still running). It was a headache medication called "Head On."

The commercial had the narrator's voice repeating "Head On! Apply directly to the forehead! Head On! Apply directory to the forehead!" Over and over. AAAAGGH!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

You can't measure anger

There is no inherent, objective correct amount of anger to any given situation

Having said that,

Anger when someone has the nerve to ask are you a boy or girl. Anger when someone touches me.

Anger when someone has a morally innocent lil attitude. But that is almost everyone almost all the time

:mrgreen:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:35 am

Mispronounced or misspelled words, especially names-I hate it when people don't bother to ask how other people's names are pronounced. It annoys me because I have a long name that is frequently mispronounced. I am very sensitive about not doing that to anyone else.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 6:58 am

I'm the same, IstominFan.

I have a name that is slightly uncommon but certainly not unheard of, yet people mispronounce it constantly, opting to call me a completely different name that sounds similar but is NOT my name! I currently have an acquaintance who has been chatting to me for years now a couple of times a week, and he still calls me this other name, and I still correct him. . .

I've had this all my life, even from teachers in school.

I've seen heated arguments online about people caring if their name is either spoken incorrectly or spelled incorrectly by others on a regular basis, with other people scorning them and saying it doesn't matter.

I happen to believe it does matter -- a person's name, and getting it right instead of not even caring if they do or not, is about basic, simple manners and respect.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 7:37 am

If I'm sitting at a table and someone else bumps my feet, I'm instantly irrationally furious.

Yeah, it's kind of odd.

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 8:07 am

I've never liked the sound of running water indoors, such as someone pouring a drink or the washing machine. I'm fine hearing a stream outdoors and love other natural sounds like the sea and the rain... I don't like the noises plumbing sometimes makes when one turns a tap on, either. :|

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:01 am

I have heard that many people on the spectrum are terrified of flushing toilets, and I can see why. Some of them flush so loud they make you want to run out of the bathroom.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 9:09 am

I was terrified of the toilet flushing when I was a child! I had to run as fast as I could out of the bathroom after flushing. I got over it at some point and it doesn't bother me at all now, but it was very frightening to me as a kid.