Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Koreana
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2005, 6:37 pm

Hi everyone. I am the Mom of an 11 year old wonderful son who is OMG!! !! hitting puberty! I am a teacher and a social worker and nothing prepared me for this. Son was adopted from a foreign country when just a few months old and new something was up right away. Very bright, luckily very coordinated which I know is not the norm. But he is a sports NUT....stats...cards ect....could have been worse his first interest was directions! Now his the prob. My son who after years of love caring and a stubborn Mom was down to a meltdown once or so a month. He had other aspie stuffgoing on but life was good.......NOW..... He is a jumbled mass of emotions....ANGRY....sad....excited. He is on prozac and risperidcol.
Anyone wanna help me get through puberty???????????

aspergian_mutant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2005, 7:24 pm

You need to explain/contribute more information, the little you gave is little to go on when trying to draw conclusions or thoughts and ideas from, we need more to relate too, or at least I do.

Koreana
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Feb 2005, 8:16 pm

Sorry if I wasn't clear, Aspergian : ) My son was diagnosed when he was four years old with Aspergers. WE have lived and learned AS for 11 years of his life. He is a beautiful soul. Hitting middle school age I have noticed a huge difference in his affect. He is more aggressive, verbally and physically. His emotions swing from sad to happy in a matter of an hour. He can hold it all together in school, where he is an A student. He has had some trouble on the bus because he can't tell teasing from personal attacks but is doing better at this. Home is were he allows himself to fall apart. This is his safe haven......he knows I will love him no matter what. But I know we are in for a long ride, I was just hoping I might meet someone who has already gone through it. : )

alex
Developer
Developer

20 Feb 2005, 10:25 pm

Koreana wrote:
Sorry if I wasn't clear, Aspergian : ) My son was diagnosed when he was four years old with Aspergers. WE have lived and learned AS for 11 years of his life. He is a beautiful soul. Hitting middle school age I have noticed a huge difference in his affect. He is more aggressive, verbally and physically. His emotions swing from sad to happy in a matter of an hour. He can hold it all together in school, where he is an A student. He has had some trouble on the bus because he can't tell teasing from personal attacks but is doing better at this. Home is were he allows himself to fall apart. This is his safe haven......he knows I will love him no matter what. But I know we are in for a long ride, I was just hoping I might meet someone who has already gone through it. : )

I have a feeling that he is how most people are when they go through puberty. You should direct him to the site. If he is getting straight a's, then he is probably better off than most middle school students in the United States.

chamoisee
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 11:56 am

Koreana, if it's at all possible, pull him out of school and homeschool him. :-( School was absolute hell for me, and i would not wish it on any aspie child unless they chose it. I have a son who I suspect is aspie...and my plan with him is to enroll him in the Waldorf school if possible or else homeschool him.

I can remember feeling suicidal in 7th grade because the other students were so mean....your son has enough to deal with in life without going through all that bullying... :cry:

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2005, 3:23 am

Koreana wrote:

Hi everyone. I am the Mom of an 11 year old wonderful son who is OMG!! !! hitting puberty! I am a teacher and a social worker and nothing prepared me for this. Son was adopted from a foreign country when just a few months old and new something was up right away. Very bright, luckily very coordinated which I know is not the norm. But he is a sports NUT....stats...cards ect....could have been worse his first interest was directions! Now his the prob. My son who after years of love caring and a stubborn Mom was down to a meltdown once or so a month. He had other aspie stuffgoing on but life was good.......NOW..... He is a jumbled mass of emotions....ANGRY....sad....excited. He is on prozac and risperidcol.
Anyone wanna help me get through puberty???????????

Yeah, I have some advice. Take him off the poisons. At least thats what I would start with. Read about the drugs you are giving him. Read about the side effects. SSRI's and atypical antipsychotics are very bad. I've been on Risperdol. It made my body act as though I were pregnant. I lactated and had morning sickness. I had never even been with a man! It screws with your hormones. Bad for a boy going through puberty, don't you think? It also makes people gain weight. LOTS of weight, which could easily result in diabetes.

It isn't even understood exactly how SSRI's work. But they have horrible withdrawal (I'm experiencing this as we speak), and stop their actual intended function after about 3 months, after which the person just becomes numb. They also make you gain weight via the strong cravings for carbohydrate/sugar/fat-rich foods. Combine SSRI's and antipsychotics and thats a real problem. Most doctors either deny or don't know about the side effects of the meds they prescribe. As a parent, it is up to YOU to do the resposible thing and research the meds BEFORE you give them to your son. I also have a principle of loving your child the way they are, instead of drugging them to make them docile and complacent to normal people, and to make them more convenient. I can never stress that enough.

The things he is feeling are normal. Let him feel them. They may, though be exacerbated by society's torment. Mine sure were. Meds didn't ease it or make it easier. They just made me fat and horribly unhappy. I couldn't really feel much happiness from being numbed by the drugs.

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2005, 8:30 am

Since most parents do, I assume Koreana did research, very very careful research, before starting the meds. Also, tokaia, if you could point me to the research about SSRI's stoping after three months I'd appreciate it. I've done a fair amount on research on them as *I've* take SSRIs and that's a new one to me.

Koreana,
My son is 12 and started middle school last year. It was H### but not necessailry pubuerty. My expereience is that as the child gets older more is expected of them, more that they might not be able to handle yet. And since the disorder is invisible, some school people **forget** about the IEP or 504 plan in place and the general public is less forgiving.

Do you have an IEP or 504? If so, are you happy with it. Is an aide on the bus necessary? Holding it together at school and losing it at home is a very common thing. I'd revisit the school situation and see what I could do to make it less stressful.

When was his last med check? As the stressors change, and pubuerty does arrive, its difficult to keep on top of that as it changes so often.

Take care,
BeeBee

tokaia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Aug 2005, 9:27 pm

BeeBee wrote:
Since most parents do, I assume Koreana did research, very very careful research, before starting the meds. Also, tokaia, if you could point me to the research about SSRI's stoping after three months I'd appreciate it. I've done a fair amount on research on them as *I've* take SSRIs and that's a new one to me.

http://www.paxilprogress.org/forums/arc ... -4538.html

Quote:
I have suggested on many occasions that people read Dr. Breggin's books: THE ANTIDEPRESSANT FACT BOOK and YOUR DRUG MAY BE YOUR PROBLEM. Read these before making any decisions about meds. Chances are you can get them from your local library as I did.

It seems that very, very often the SSRI will start out being the wonder drug that it is proclaimed to be. One's mood improves, life seems easier, etc. etc. That lasts for a while. Then there's something called the SSRI "poop-out." The drug quits working effectively, and then a different one is prescribed. That happened to me--I was first on Celexa and had to switch to Paxil.

I remember reading somewhere about how Paxil doubles a woman's risk of breast cancer because it damages DNA. I think it may be linked to quitpaxil.org.

Other anti-SSRI sites:

http://www.paxilprogress.org

http://www.quitpaxil.info/Main/symptoms.htm

http://www.counterpunch.org/giombetti0912.html

The first two site contain dozens of liks to more info.

Atypical antipsychotics:

http://mentalhealth.about.com/cs/psycho ... eds503.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atypical_antipsychotics

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/SAFETY/2004/risperdal.htm

Quote:
WARNINGS

Hyperglycemia and Diabetes Mellitus
Hyperglycemia, in some cases extreme and associated with ketoacidosis or hyperosmolar coma or death, has been reported in patients treated with atypical antipsychotics, including Risperdal.

Frankly, I would steer clear of ANY pharmaceutical psychotropics whatsoever. About the only psychotropic drug I would recommend is Marijuana, which kills anger, agitation and stress like nothing else. Don't buy into the DEA's and TV's portrayal of it, because none of the crap they say about it is true.

http://www.autism.org/marijuana.html

http://www.norml.org/

Or just Google "medical marijuana" or "medical marijuana Austim".

I also strongly recommend the GFCF diet. It has made a huge difference in my boyfriend's behavior. He doesn't get as angry, as often, has better concentration, and no erectile problems. However, it MUST be adhered to 100%. The slightest screw-up will affect a person for at least a week.

This is also very interesting:

http://www.rense.com/general64/ssru.htm

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2005, 7:06 am

I had a bad reaction to SSRIs but am doing better on SNRIs that are more recent antidepressant/anti anxiety drugs. It could be worth checking with the doctor to review the medication situation. Ritalin is known to cause tearfulness in some children.

It would be great to have a buddy system for your boy at school and riding on the bus ie. another child who will look out for him. I have heard of this being done at some schools and it might help.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon