Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + some CC or uni 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + some CC or uni 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and CC graduate 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and CC graduate 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + CC graduate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + CC graduate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and have a Bachelor's degree 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and have a Bachelor's degree 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + have a Bachelor's degree 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + have a Bachelor's degree 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and have a Master's or PHD 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Diagnosed with an ASD and have a Master's or PHD 3%  3%  [ 4 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + have Master's or PHD 6%  6%  [ 9 ]
Not professionally diagnosed with an ASD + have Master's or PHD 7%  7%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 142

CosTransform
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Feb 2012, 5:22 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i've had to learn on my own, as the schools were no help. the public library was for me, a far better "teacher."

What was most wrong things with the school?, and right with libraries?
Must been tough to study alone with lot's of noise in public spaces.

mntn13 wrote:
High School was far harder for me than university or art school.

Howcome?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 12:32 am

CosTransform wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
i've had to learn on my own, as the schools were no help. the public library was for me, a far better "teacher."

What was most wrong things with the school?, and right with libraries? Must been tough to study alone with lot's of noise in public spaces.

in the library i could check out books and learn things on my own schedule. my attention span is limited, so i could put the book down after 15 minutes or so of reading [i'm a very slow and dodgy reader], rest a bit then pick it back up. i was always terrible with book reports and far worse with term papers. i just don't have the scholastic genes. :oops: in the stoned age when i was in junior high school, the schools were very big on harsh discipline, to the point of paddling students who did poorly on tests/assignments or who gave the teacher the wrong answer when asked a question in class. not only that, but in some cases they sent students home early after paddlings [suspension], made the parent come pick the student up, then exhorted the parents to administer more harsh discipline at home and to not bring the kid back until he got with the program, so to speak. so i stayed home a lot, where the school sent my homework assignments. thank god they changed principals, got rid of the previous psycho principal and replaced him with somebody more humane and less evil. when i went to the library by myself, it was just me and the books, there were no paddlings or getting yelled at and insulted in front of other students. back when i was a kid, it was considered ok for a teacher to humiliate a student in front of other students, and for said evil teacher to exhort the other students to verbally abuse the student under the teacher's thumb at that moment.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Feb 2012, 3:44 am

auntblabby wrote:
CosTransform wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

What was most wrong things with the school?, and right with libraries? Must been tough to study alone with lot's of noise in public spaces.

in the library i could check out books and learn things on my own schedule. my attention span is limited, so i could put the book down after 15 minutes or so of reading [i'm a very slow and dodgy reader], rest a bit then pick it back up. i was always terrible with book reports and far worse with term papers. i just don't have the scholastic genes.

Same here except I didn't learn well from reading/studying. I'm an auditory learner which is kind of expected sense I have a vision disorder. I heard somewhere that like 70% of school learning is visual; add to that being an Aspie & it should be obvious that the standard school environment was very WRONG for me. I participated a lot in the class discussions & understood the gist of it but I had lots of problems taking the test; I flunked the discussion questions because I'm horrible at putting my thoughts into writing & I got specific details confused/mixed-up on the test due to my dyslexia like dates, names, vocabulary terms & numbers

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 4:36 am

nick007 wrote:
I didn't learn well from reading/studying. I'm an auditory learner which is kind of expected sense I have a vision disorder. I heard somewhere that like 70% of school learning is visual; add to that being an Aspie & it should be obvious that the standard school environment was very WRONG for me. I participated a lot in the class discussions & understood the gist of it but I had lots of problems taking the test; I flunked the discussion questions because I'm horrible at putting my thoughts into writing & I got specific details confused/mixed-up on the test due to my dyslexia like dates, names, vocabulary terms & numbers

i struggled with un-dx'ed dyslexia also. it resulted in me being unable to read any printed material . A-B-O-V-E . A . S-N-A-I-L ' S . . P-A-C-E . to this day. but for some reason i'm usually an OK test taker. but i was too often misunderstanding/miscontrueing what the teachers or students were saying in class. the great thing about being a hermit out in the woods is that none of this matters anymore. i can be just the exact way god made me, the rest of the world be damned. :)

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

26 Feb 2012, 10:56 am

I have sort of been diagnosed, but not got the "official" diagnosis. I am working on getting that now. I changed Psychologists before I could get an official on that. Plus he is wanting to make sure that I don't have anything else as well. Long process I guess.

I dropped out of High School, I tried going back several times, and went to a few "alternatives" and even tried the correspondence classes. Ya know the ones they advertised on TV. I just couldn't finish.

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

black_prince
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2012, 9:40 am

I have my bachelors of economics and am currently in professional school for finance.

strongria
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Mar 2012, 8:07 pm

Diagnosed autism (not Aspergers), acquired/traumatic brain injury, refractory epilepsy and some other stuff.

Completed an Australian TAFE Diploma - equivelant to a US CC/Associate degree?

Now on my 3rd attempt at a Bachelor. Dropped out the first time for health reasons. Dropped out the second time because uni + work + caring for my mother + chronic health issues + executive dysfunction = recipe for disaster, even with a study load of only one subject per semester. It's very embarrassing to "fail" Social Policy while advising a government minister on social policy ("fail" due to not handing in all assessment tasks - aced the ones I *did* hand in)! When I withdrew, I was about 3 units short of my B.A. Unfortunately, study credits expire after 10 years here. That almost-finished degree? No longer almost-finished. Now have to do *19* units to graduate. Sigh.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Mar 2012, 11:50 am

Asperger's, currently a freshmen in highschool, though its terribly boring. I wish I took some of the grade skipping opportunities I had...

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 10:28 pm

I'm a junior in high school but am starting college next fall because of my state's PSEO program. I'm very excited to start college. High school os starting to get boring.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 5:24 am

I've been to college but dropped out before I graduated.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

lostmyself
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2012, 6:06 am

ADHD, BEng pharmaceutical Engineering(major), information technology (minor). I have a MS in Information
Technology. I don't see degrees being useful anyway now-a-days. I don't feel like they measure one's mental capability properly. I hate how they dictate what you need to learn at school. I want to do something more creative.

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 11:11 pm

I've been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, and I have a Bachelor's in Math.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2014, 11:16 pm

high school, 2 years of college but no degree, army MOS 91D10.