Do you often feel like you feel music....

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

in the same way the artist felt it?

I'm curious as to who else might admit to it without feeling like they'll get accusing stares for preceived narcissism. :P

To be fair it seems like if you know your music, know a writer's lyrical content, and you hear the beats, tones, melodies, etc. it seems like you very much can get inside their heads to a fair extent and tell who's making potent use of their emotions and inner worlds in music vs. who isn't.

So back at the original question: give some examples of artists or albums and what you pull from it that you think hits the artists mind at a pretty near-exact angle.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

To7m
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Feb 2012, 7:19 pm

Yeah, sometimes, like in the song "Ashes Are Burning", I feel like I know why they did the stuff the way they did in that song

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 8:41 pm

There are a few musicians' careers I've followed so closely throughout the years that I almost feel I know them personally through their music, but I can't really go as far as to say I think I feel their music in the same way they feel it.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 9:10 pm

I feel that way with many artists but I never thought of it as narcissism.
I thought of it more as an emotional and spiritual connection. Like myself and the artist are one.

I don't want the artists to ever know this so I won't mention them unless somebody else does first.
That way I would look less stalkerish.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 9:16 pm

artrat wrote:
I don't want the artists to ever know this so I won't mention them unless somebody else does first.
That way I would look less stalkerish.

Lol

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2012, 9:41 pm

artrat wrote:
I feel that way with many artists but I never thought of it as narcissism.

Well....I've just notice some people get defensive when someone suggests they can. Just wanted to issue a public service announcement so the thread didn't take a hit.

artrat wrote:
I thought of it more as an emotional and spiritual connection. Like myself and the artist are one.

Right, and also you get to see someone else's inner thoughts in a much more epic way than you can even with visual media. Music seems to bypass and head straight for emotions in ways that a lot of things just can't. Seems like as well the more you know a genre the easier it gets, and clearly some artists are much more poignant and un-sugarcoated than others.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 12:26 am

Maybe. It's hard for me to know though.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 5:39 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

I'm curious as to who else might admit to it without feeling like they'll get accusing stares for preceived narcissism. :P

To be fair it seems like if you know your music, know a writer's lyrical content, and you hear the beats, tones, melodies, etc. it seems like you very much can get inside their heads to a fair extent and tell who's making potent use of their emotions and inner worlds in music vs. who isn't.

So back at the original question: give some examples of artists or albums and what you pull from it that you think hits the artists mind at a pretty near-exact angle.

Sure, google 'Morrissey fans' :wink:

Honestly though, yes.

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2012, 7:52 am

Yes, absolutely!

On a related note, whenever I listen to some music, the high produced is actually better than that of a drug. Which, curiously, is why I stopped using recreational drugs (particularly weed). The high wasn't the same!

I was rocking some bossa nova the other day, and it was affecting me SO DEEPLY! Like so few other things on this earth can!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 9:11 am

Magdalena wrote:
Yes, absolutely!

On a related note, whenever I listen to some music, the high produced is actually better than that of a drug. Which, curiously, is why I stopped using recreational drugs (particularly weed). The high wasn't the same!

Well, the thing I'd add with that too - once or twice listening to music on weed or mushrooms/LSD and you don't really lose your ability to hear things that way, hence your right you don't need to be f'd up. That was one of the things that always baffled me when people protested hearing electronic music if they weren't tripping or rolling.

Magdalena
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Feb 2012, 9:14 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Magdalena wrote:
Yes, absolutely!

Well, the thing I'd add with that too - once or twice listening to music on weed or mushrooms/LSD and you don't really lose your ability to hear things that way, hence your right you don't need to be f'd up. That was one of the things that always baffled me when people protested hearing electronic music if they weren't tripping or rolling.

Agreed. It's just that I prefer the music in the regular, non-drug-affected way. I definitely perceive it differently on weed, but for me, the effect isn't as profound as it is when I'm not high.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:16 pm

Bun wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Sure, google 'Morrissey fans' :wink:

Honestly though, yes.

Morissey fans can be crazy and he is so full of himself which doesn't help at all.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:18 pm

:thumleft:

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 2:44 pm

In a really limited form, yeah. I think the artist I most relate to is Yellow Magic Orchestra, my username is a Yellow Magic Orchestra song, but I feel like YMO in the way I can relate to it, at least in Japan at their time, lots of cultural transitions happened. But also as far as society goes, at that time it was the 70s, lots of vast technological changes happened. One of their albums was called "Solid State Survivor" in reference to, well, solid state electronics, but a huge technological shift, and societal shift with it. I feel the same now, just in my limited amount of time on this earth, I've seen and gone through similar of a transition, with the rise of the internet in my childhood.

YMO also, in their outlook, seemed to be dystopian, but not so much in the Orwellian/Brave New World kinda way, I mean they were but they sorta just wrote of it matter of factly. Dystopia, it's what the world is turning into, like it or not. It's not so much waking up in 1984, it's just that things gradually go in that direction without people really stopping and thinking twice about it, it just becomes part of life.

So yeah, as weird as it is to write such things about some 70s Japanese electropop group, I think that's where they were coming from, and I feel their music is just as relevant today, in the age of microprocessors and ethernet and fiber optics as it was in the 70s.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtR3V51YmNU[/youtube]

Quote:
Minds blind
Empty eyes
Black tongues ablaze....

Here's to a humanoid boy
Smiling, happy and void
Solid state survivor

I feel that is modern society in a nutshell.

Anyway, as far as other stuff I can relate to, well, I listen to lots of really fluffy poppy love songs most of the rest of the time. I don't know how well I can relate to the artist, many times the artist doesn't even write them, or in the case of some of the italodisco and eurobeat I listen to, the artist's first language isn't even English, so they might have zero idea what they're singing about. But for some reason, I feel a connection or whatever to Yellow Magic Orchestra.