Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 10:59 am

Catman wrote:
SyphonFilter wrote:
I do this every day. Luckily what ends up coming out makes others laugh instead of offending them.

And laughter is important. Good attitude! :D

Yeah, I've never been made fun of in a mean way for doing it...because I make sure to laugh at myself when it happens, which in turn makes everyone else laugh.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

19 Feb 2012, 11:21 am

I remember something similar happened to me but when writting numbers, I tried saying them outloud and writting more slowly, but althought I was saying Image I still wrote Image , I thought I was sick or something, I used to be very good in math but with this problem I couldn't even write the signs well, fortunatelly it only lasted some months.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 2:57 pm

I don't usually say the wrong word, I just can't find the word I'm trying to say at all. But sometimes I mix my words up and say the opposite of what I intended to say.

Verdandi wrote:
When someone corrects you they make it clear that they know what you meant and there was no logical reason to stop the conversation because you obviously misspoke. But they do it anyway.

Yeah that is what I find annoying. They KNOW what you meant to say, and it doesn't serve any purpose to make an issue over it. They just want to act superior about it.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 3:01 pm

dianthus wrote:
I don't usually say the wrong word, I just can't find the word I'm trying to say at all. But sometimes I mix my words up and say the opposite of what I intended to say.

Verdandi wrote:
When someone corrects you they make it clear that they know what you meant and there was no logical reason to stop the conversation because you obviously misspoke. But they do it anyway.

Yeah that is what I find annoying. They KNOW what you meant to say, and it doesn't serve any purpose to make an issue over it. They just want to act superior about it.

Actually, I'm a huge offender of this. I correct people all the time...not to be mean, though, but because it honestly bothers me and I need to set it right.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Catman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2012, 3:35 pm

fragileclover wrote:
Actually, I'm a huge offender of this. I correct people all the time...not to be mean, though, but because it honestly bothers me and I need to set it right.

What. You mean you're an aspie?! :-)

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 9:00 am

My problem is a bit different. Examples: I think I said ten everyone else says I said tip. I think I said a person's name Bobby everyone else says I said Bogdan. This happens to me every day. I think it is the way my brain is inturpting my own speech. It makes me feel confused.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2013, 9:25 am

Maybe try gluten-casein diet? it helps people talking and thinking more clearly ...

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 10:27 am

This happens to me too. What I'm really bad about is reversing words. I might try to say "She has a nice jacket on" and what will come out is "She has a jacket nice on". That's definitely not the greatest example, but I can't think of a better one. That kind of thing happens to me so frequently that I don't even bother to go back and try to correct myself anymore, instead I just say "reverse that" and keep on talking.

I also sometimes completely forget words. When that happens, I usually try to describe the word. If I want to ask someone to pass a pen but I can't think of the word pen, I'll just say "one of those things you write with, that you can't erase" or something like that.

I also occasionally completely lose my train of thought, but there's not much I can do about that.

It's nice to know that other people have these problems too! :)

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 12:17 pm

that never really happens to me, i am more picture oriented so just simple words like Jump and Run can be hard to say.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 1:50 pm

Often. For me I can have a concept of a fence or the front door, but say bush or fridge instead. Sometimes it is when I have seen something near me that it happens, or can be random...
it used to happen with the colors green, blue, and red. Knowing which color is which, but saying the wrong color.

This can frustrate me but have gotten used to this happening.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 1:59 pm

It happens to me all the time. I was talking with one of my friends about various things the other day, and somehow the conversation went from military rifles to sports cars, and I ended up calling the MClaren F1 an M1 Garand. XD I mix up my words all the time, forget words, and have lots of "Freudian slips". It happens more when I'm either nervous, or trying to keep up with someone else in a conversation.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 3:58 pm

I do it on fairly often. At least once or twice a week. It's more frequent as I get older. It doesn't bother me though, because I hear other people do it too. Usually a person will only do it very occasionally, but the fact that so many people do it very occasionally makes me feel better about the fact that I do it fairly often. I just correct myself by saying something like "Christening, I meant christening. I don't know why I said funeral, I must have left the half of my brain I use at home today. Anyway like I was saying...." and they laugh a small laugh and I do too and that's all. When somebody else does it and catches themselves I laugh that small laugh like other people do to me, and they do too. I tell them "Oh, I do that all the time". Sometimes when I do it, the other person will tell me about how they did it the other day. What I do that I shouldn't do though, is when somebody does it and doesn't catch themselves, I correct them before I can think about it to stop myself. I don't know why I do that. It's not meant meanly, it just pops out of my mouth.

My fear, since I learned both of the words in 7th grade, is meaning to say "organism" but leaving out an all important syllable and saying something completely different. I try to avoid saying "organism" in a sentence most of the time because of that, or I make sure I concentrate.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2013, 5:44 pm

Lumi wrote:
Often. For me I can have a concept of a fence or the front door, but say bush or fridge instead. Sometimes it is when I have seen something near me that it happens, or can be random...
it used to happen with the colors green, blue, and red. Knowing which color is which, but saying the wrong color.

This can frustrate me but have gotten used to this happening.

I find this replacement word phenomenon quite interesting and have observed it a bit in me. I have constant difficulties “finding the words” and often what ends up coming out isn’t what I was trying to get out. My latest mistake was using a word plate for a tray (though very logical, I have to say). I often use compensating hand signs, for nouns are generally easy to replace with made up hand signs. Even in the previous situation I automatically put my hands the way you keep them while holding a tray and the person in the cafeteria understood what I meant. But when it comes to hard to sign words like verbs my brain seems to cope by making up a word that sounds like a verb, but isn’t any real one. :D Also when the words just pour out, they still often come out completely wrong. I often mix up words and sounds.

At times I feel speaking is enjoyable and easy. At times it’s really an effort - especially if you are nervous on top of it all.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2013, 9:43 pm

paxfilosoof wrote:
Maybe try gluten-casein diet? it helps people talking and thinking more clearly ...

You mean gluten-free and casein-free diet right? :-p
Although I truly wished it was going to, my GF/CF diet hasn't fixed all my issues. It has helped though. Neither has my parasite cleanse herbs. I kinda want to try a super low carb diet but that's really, really hard, especially when I'm basically in charge of what my husband eats and I can't make him eat carb free and I have no self-control, and especially since I don't have a known medical reason to try the diet.

Anyways, back to the OP. I mix-up the words I mean to say ALL THE TIME. All the time. Fact of life. Doesn't bother me too much, although it certainly has. Get's annoying when I say the opposite of what I mean to say. It's usually just funny, I like it when someone I'm talking to finds it funny, because it is often funny. Much better than them feeling uncomfortable or offended or annoyed.
I'm used to this in my life. My dad does it all the time, my uncle does it all the time to as does his son (my cousin). It's funny most of the time, and, well, it's kinda hard not to make fun of my dad when he cycled through all the other family members' names, including the dog, before finally getting my brother's name :-p
More often though I'll have a pause while I try to think of the correct word. I'll spew out the incorrect one if I'm in a hurry or am not focussed enough, which happens a lot in casual conversation, but casual conversation isn't much a part of my life these days anyways.

The funniest but rarest ones are when I mix up the start and endings of words with each other, like the old, male, purple gummi bear. When I do that I usually don't even know I've done it until someone points it out to me, whereas otherwise I'll pick up on it as soon as the sound's made. eg: Instead of 'I'm replacing the garbage bag' it could be 'I'm replacing the barbage gag'

doubutsu: Well that's nice that that went away in a few months. When I used to do any sort of arithmetic I put pluses instead of minus, mix up the numerator and denominator, move parentheses, mix up 2 digits in a number...you name it I'd do it. I was never bad at math though, the concepts and algorithms for doing math and physics problems weren't hard, throughout all gradeschool people asked me for help with math and physics, not until I lost my concentration in university and couldn't pay attention in class and I had to try to teach myself from textbooks on my own time.
I'm also absolutely dreadful at seeing a number and then saying it out loud correctly. This has made for lots of errors when copying numbers since I'm generally an auditory person for memorizing or learning, so I'll auditorally mistranslate the on-page number into my head, then try to write down the number again from the verbal representation I have of it, getting it wrong. I know I do this a lot because if the number is sufficiently small, I'll still have a visual memory of it and I've learned to trust the visualization of it (which is weird for me to do) because it disagrees with the auditory version of it.

Poor motivation

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 9:55 am

Many a time I've thought of one word and said something else entirely, only to realize that what I said actually made more sense.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 6:38 pm

For me its not another word. sometimes i can say an entire sentence backwards, i have no freaking clue how i do that, i cant even do it on purpose. Its scary and funny at the same time.