Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2006, 3:46 am

Dude it will addict the s*** outta you. I barely pried myself from its ever-devouring jaws a couple of months ago.

LAK
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2006, 7:45 am

Be careful... be VERY careful!

TaylorB
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Nov 2006, 11:11 am

Yes! I have to agree, I just got out of it as well. I was completely taken over by it for a long time, but I finally realized I need to concentrate more on programming.

It will eat your soul.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 4:55 pm

I play WoW. I'm pretty sure my soul is still intact. well, mostly.

I think it is with anything, it CAN suck time if you are into raiding and stuff...some 40 man instances can go for hours or even days.

I have my own guild, so I don't have to worry about dealing with people I don't like...we don't raid, so there isn't that pressure..and we're on an RP server, which, in my personal experience, is the ONLY type of server to be on. The players tend to be a bit more mature and the general chat isn't so unbearable.

I like it..I've played for about a year. I like that it takes enough concentration that I don't obsess about other things in my head....but doesn't require me to spend 8 hours at a stretch just to get something good.

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 5:48 pm

Guild Wars Guild Wars Guild Wars Guild Wars Guild Wars Guild Wars
no monthly fee, comparatively no grind, no waiting for hours for a server, etc. etc.

Xuin... that'd be awesome. End-game bad guy... "Join me, or die!" "Hm... ok. Got a health plan?" rest of your party: "Wait, what?" me:"Screw you guys and screw this whole 'goodness' thing. Evil's more fun. Now dance, monkey, dance!"
(Btw, Xuin... how DO you pronounce your username? That'd been driving me batty for weeks now. Not to mention the fact that I'd swear I've seen you downtown before... Yellowjacket or Curious Comics or something. I'm not stalking you, btw...just pretty sure I've seen you.)

willow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 6:33 pm

I tried guild wars..it seemed interesting. my video card needs to be upgraded, though...so GW was continually making my computer crash. :(

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 6:38 pm

My wife had the same problem...she'd be fine when we were exploring or in a mission, but once the mission reward screen came up her vidcard'd lock up and make the rest of her machine crap itself.
Eventually we upgraded mine, she got my "old" one and everyone's happy.

willow
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2006, 8:50 pm

diseased wrote:
My wife had the same problem...she'd be fine when we were exploring or in a mission, but once the mission reward screen came up her vidcard'd lock up and make the rest of her machine crap itself.
Eventually we upgraded mine, she got my "old" one and everyone's happy.

that is *exactly* what happens. it is like that one extra thing makes everything just FREAK out.

I'm hoping santa brings me a new video card. :P

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 12:05 am

What kind of card d'you have?
Hers was a GeForce MX400.

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 1:40 am

I stick to Urban Dead. Free and in-browser with a natural anti-overplay guard.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 4:10 am

What server are you people on?

KingMichael
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2006, 3:36 pm

The game can be very addictive, but not as addictive as everyone says.

Quote:
DONT! It will ruin your life.

That's a little overdramatic. The game won't "ruin your life" unless you allow it to. Maybe I've just played so long that I'm not as vulnerable to becoming addicted as I used to be. I don't know.

I don't really play much at all anymore, but I have an Alliance warlock on Frostmane named "Grapecrusher". I've played for over 700 hours and I still don't have a level 60 character because I had to switch servers several times to continue playing with friends. My friends aren't playing anymore now, and probably because of that, neither am I.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 3:42 pm

What about Total Annihilation?

Sure it's 10 years old, but I like playing it every now and then. It's the most modded game to date, and I try to find hard AIs to beat every now and then. :)

I haven't played in a while though.

I can't say my decision, because you've got it as your personal message on msn and it says "Playing WoW".

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2006, 6:41 pm

S'kinda funny... re: the overplay thing.
Sometime earlier in the year (or maybe last year) when the news was full of that Chinese dude dying from WoW over-play, ArenaNet/NCsoft (makers of GW) implemented a thing in-game where after a certain period of time, you'd get a message popup saying "You've been playing for x hours. Please take a break."
That was all well and good until they made a revision fairly recently so that the overplay timer doesn't only count when you're logged in, it goes by how long the program's been running. I now, quite frequently, get messages telling me "You've been playing for 3 days. Please take a break."

willow
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2006, 12:49 pm

hale_bopp wrote:
What server are you people on?

Cenarion Circle and Wildhammer.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 2:26 am

in case the image doesn't work:
http://www.destructoid.com/photo.php?p= ... -comic.jpg

there was an interesting talk in the Penny-Arcade forums, saying basically: you'll regret it

Last edited by computerlove on 02 Dec 2006, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.