Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 2:26 am

in case the image doesn't work:
http://www.destructoid.com/photo.php?p= ... -comic.jpg

there was an interesting talk in the Penny-Arcade forums, saying basically: you'll regret it

Last edited by computerlove on 02 Dec 2006, 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

goomba
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Dec 2006, 2:30 am

Is anyone playing the expansion? My old guild is reforming and they're trying to get me back to WoW, hmm...

computerlove wrote:

Heheh that was funny. I think penny-arcade.com has some funny WoW comics too.

Stinkypuppy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2006, 6:41 pm

Interesting comic, and I think it applies to many other MMORPGs as well. And I've seen how it can take over an Aspie's life; it took over mine for a long time and it still controls my ex-friend. It's sad, for a long time my ex-friend commented on how he felt that ingame life felt better than real life, how he felt more accepted in the online world. One time he took a two-month break from the game because he "wanted to do things more with people," but for whatever reason he came back to the game. I guessed that he missed real life interaction, but once again felt rejected or put off by it, that he retreated back to the virtual world. He's still hooked, and I think that it's sad. His social skills with people face-to-face are utter s**t, and those skills won't get any better without practice... online interactions are one form of interacting, but they certainly don't replace real life interaction. It'll be unfortunate to see in a few years or so when the servers for the game close, or the community that he interacts with breaks up, because he'll be left with nothing to show for all that time he spent. He'll be a level 75 ingame, but when he gets back to the real world, he'll only be level 3 in real life knowledge and experience when he could have been level 35, so to speak. A lot of lost time that could have been spent making real life more fulfilling, rather than trying to be a superstar in a transitory, artificial world.

I honestly hope one day that he will wake up, but I have the feeling that when the game ends, he'll go through some serious problems readjusting to real life... not sure if he will be able to do that at all. And the fact that his primary interest is video games makes leaving a video game-based life all that much harder.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2006, 2:02 am

I play WoW and I find it to be pretty damn entertaining. Getting it isn't a bad idea.

quiet
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jan 2007, 3:58 am

I've been playing computer games since 1989 (and MMORPGs since 1999) and I really think WoW is one of the best that I've ever played. Before I had started playing in early December, 2004, I hadn't spent much time playing computer games for several years. I had been completely obsessed with my area of study (related to my two majors at university) and was getting really burned out with it all. WoW can be time consuming, but for me it has made me much happier. My grades have stayed quite nice while playing as well.

SpectreWithin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Jan 2007, 9:18 am

WoW is a fine game, I think all this talk about it "taking over your life" is a bit extreme. Yes people can get very addicted to it but that is not the game's fault. It could be lack of self-control, a very addictive personality, or other issues which lead to it taking over. The issue was already there before they ever played the game. And any game not just MMOs can be addictive. Any form of entertainment for that matter. Moderation and balance are key.

That comic "the dangers of world of warcraft" is a hilarious parody with many WoW in-jokes (and allusions to Jack Chick anti-gaming comics). I don't think its meant to be a serious "warning". Its an exaggerated joke for WoW players to laugh at.

The bad stories always get more press than the good ones. How about all the people that formed very close real-life friendships and even happy marriages with people they met while playing these types of games?

Anyway I think WoW is a lot of fun but just a bit lacking in depth compared to some of the other options out there. It is a great MMO to start out with though, if you are new to the genre, and is very accomodating to a casual playstyle.

Space
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2007, 4:52 pm

I would never buy WoW myself. I would probably get too obsessed with it. That's me though, addictive, obsessive-compulsive personality :roll:

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2007, 11:32 pm

Who needs WoW,when you have total war :P

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2007, 9:35 pm

I have my own personal WoW server right here on my laptop.

ScratchMonkey
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2007, 10:58 am

Is addiction to an online game that different from a "real" one? What if you're obsessed with competitive sports, like bowling, golf, soccer, etc.? I've never broken a bone playing WoW. I don't have to drive to my game. When I'm tired of playing, I just shut the game off and go to bed.

You'll find my guilds on Bleeding Hollow and Aerie Peak:

http://matureasskickers.net/wowroster/
http://matureasskickers.net/wowroster-apgw/

We're more like a group of dart players in the corner pub than ultra-competitive play-until-you-drop types.

(I also help maintain the website and keep other game servers running on our colocated server.)

triforce1215
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Feb 2007, 10:58 pm

:( is this intended to be prejudice? :( please tell me it is.....

I play wow, and i have many friends. Friends not just in game, but in real life as well. Personally, I don't even play it that much, just on the weekends. Now let me cut to the chase...

I have only met one butthole on wow (both factions combined)

I have had the game for 6 months now, and I have a lvl 31 alliance human mage(i refuse to disclose realm and name due to the fear of spam and hate mail). If i was an addict, that person would be level 70 by now. (yes i have the expansion)

I am not "addicted" to any game. Even if I was, it would most certainly not be wow, it would be worms or zelda.

If you want to continue to think that wow and other mmorpgs decay and kill you from the inside out, you can go ahead and think that. I will not stop you. However it is not the game that does the damage, it is the player if he so chooses to ruin his life. I don't play for usually any more than 30mins-2hrs every weekend. Heck sometimes i don't play it at all. I have found more creative things to do (www.official-linerider.com).

In conclusion, I HAVE A LIFE, and I look good in red.

Master Chief: You got any Prophets?
Pichu: Go fish. I mean..PICHU!!

Candymanic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2007, 6:37 am

Unknown wrote:
Who needs WoW,when you have total war :P

There is a god... someone ELSE who likes to send countless thousands to a bloody and sticky end :D :D

WoW's a good buy, if you don't mind forking out the cash for it.

Ye know, anyone up for an aspie guild?

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 7:31 am

Has it's good points and bad, at least for me some of it was bad. I'd steer clear if you need time for the study.

Very addicting for me. I had serious problems with my twin 7900 nvidia cards and tech support put me in a freakin rage. I think they may be fried. Higher level gear you needed big time guilds and I don't like guilds. Poor set up for the AH (auction house), but useable to get things you couldn't solo for. Blizzard has always been stingy with room to store things. Trade skills could have been done better. Stuff you could make were already outdated by the time you had the skill to make them.

I liked the fact you could do short missions or long ones and then come back and pick up with no trouble. Easy to solo. Community was laid back, very unlike EQ2. Easy to gain levels. Well I did say I was addicted so, I found a lot more good points. You don't need a monster machine to play is another good point. They also kept the fun in it, EQ2 lost it. If I saw where they had fixed the issues they refuse to even admit, I would consider going back to it. A little disappointed in the addon, but they did an over all good job with it. PvP servers and PvP on norm servers made my heart race, very exciting but rough as my reflexes aren't even close to what they used to be. You still can twink, but not to a huge extent. You can team with higher level chars, though I wouldn't call it power leveling anymore.

I just deleted all my chars and canceled my account. Still can play for 7 more days, but I also took the game off the hard drive. Seriously pissed at Blizzards attitude and not admiting they screwed up big time after they lifted the dual core cap and I haven't a clue what else went wrong.

Horde all the way!! ! If you be a NELF and flagged you gonna die. If you be a flagged Allied Pally, you also gonna die. Gnomes taste good as they are filled with pie and very fun to punt. Alliance learned to hate my pet monkey, her name was Peaches.

postpaleo

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 11:40 pm