Does anyone know which airport in So Cal is the cheapest?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2012, 4:31 am

If this question is in the wrong topic or wrong planet (pun intended) please forgive me. I had no idea where to post this. I tried yahoo answers, but I really don't like posting questions there because most of the people who reply or not even helpful. Anyway, I really want to travel somewhere in South America this summer. I am either going to visit Equador (Quito, Galapagos islands, maybe Mindo, Banos or Cuyabeno) or Peru (Macchu Pichu or Iquitos/Amazon). Everyone keeps giving different answers as to which would be the cheapest route. I have been doing some research myself. My choices are LAX, San Diego or Santa Ana airports. Anyone else on here living in southern California that has done a lot of international flights? Sorry if this question is really stupid or I come off as lazy. I just thought I would ask.

Grisha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 8:26 am

I've never flown out of San Diego, so I can't help you there, but LAX is definitely your best bet for international travel. The regional airports (eg Santa Ana, Burbank) usually just fly you to an airline hub (like LAX) and charge you more for it.

Also, I've found that all of the major Internet travel sites are pretty much the same but all are pretty good at locating the best fare for your trip - just save an itinerary and keep checking back before you book, sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Feb 2012, 11:25 am

Honestly, there's no "cheapest" airport, in my opinion. It's all up to the individual airlines, and what their costs are. LAX is the biggest, and I'd probably say it's an Aspie's nightmare for crowds and hustle & bustle and confusion.... Burbank (aka Bob Hope) is the most convenient (for me) and is said to be the quickest from when you enter to when you take off, and has the least security hassles and friendliest staff.

My wife uses Expedia to buy tickets, and you can choose what airport and compare prices. But there are a few catches, including that you pretty much have to be prepared to buy the ticket right away when you get a good quote from Expedia. I don't know too much about it, because she does it and I haven't paid attention really.

Charles

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 11:52 am

Off topic, but I've been to a international flight in LAX.... and had to stay overnight to catch it early.

Hotel surrounded by 7 or 8 foot fences, moon was a dirty orange, drifters walking all over. I've always heard people from LA talking about whats under LA. Apparently life both in and under the city is thriving.

But seriously, its California - bloated prices everywhere. But LAX probably is the main hub for travel, your probably going to want to find a cheaper fare.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

Have you taken a look at Skyscanner?

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2012, 11:45 pm

Tequila wrote:
Have you taken a look at Skyscanner?

Thanks for telling me about this site! They do have cheaper flights.