Other 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I'm colour blind, I can't tell 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 56

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 3:12 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Dear Declension, This is a great thread! Thank you for starting it!

lolwat

Are you trying to imply that I hijacked the thread? I just thought that the illusion thing was related. Geez.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 8:51 pm

Declension wrote:
Sylkat wrote:
Dear Declension, This is a great thread! Thank you for starting it!

lolwat

Are you trying to imply that I hijacked the thread? I just thought that the illusion thing was related. Geez.

I, as the OP, started it and think what you said adds discussion to the thread.

By the way, I thought the tent looked red in ALL different lightings, just different shades maybe.

Also, my dad, who thought the tent was red, saw a bathing suits that everyone thought was red, as orange. Same with a soccer team.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 9:00 am

I was going to mention that we're all working with different screens, but it seems like that was brought up on page one.
Anyways, I see a light red. I'd have to see it in person to give a much more accurate answer.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2012, 11:40 am

Just to add, a lot of men are also "anomalous trichromats", which means that we perceive red, green, and blue, but the wavelength that our red or green cones are most sensitive to is shifted slightly. In a simpler era, we'd just be accused of having bad taste in color. Now, it's been demonstrated that our sense of color aesthetics is as good as anyone else's, but the exact RGB mix WE perceive as a nice, creamy neutral beige is going to look slightly pink or green to most people. Classic "color-blindness" screening won't catch us, because we'll never mistake red for orange, yellow, or green, but a Munsell test will usually trip us up on at least one or two rods, and the test where the intensity of red & green lasers are adjusted until they match a yellow laser will catch it 100% of the time.

There's also a fair bit of evidence that many women might actually be tetrachromatic -- instead of seeing the world in red, green, and blue, they'd see it in red, green1, green2, and blue. The theory is that there are two slightly different peak sensitivities that "green" cones can have, and a man inherits one or the other from his mother. In theory, a woman with colorblind sons could have BOTH kinds of "green" cones.

AFAIK, nobody has conclusively demonstrated the existence of a real woman with this trait yet, but that's partly because "RGB color" is so completely entrenched as a paradigm in TV, computers, and print (via CMYK), even coming up with reasonable test equipment is a challenge. The working theory of the team that's done the most studies on it (in Britain, I believe) is that a hypothetical tetrachromatic woman would be one who has Red-Green colorblind sons AND for whom colors on a TV, computer monitor, in film, etc just never quite look "right" compared to real life (because the "green" used in the display is just an approximate average of the two distinct greens they can perceive). Complicating matters is the fact that the effect would probably be extremely subtle, anyway, and women who've grown up in a world with "RGB Media" would just EXPECT colors to always be slightly wrong on TV/print/film & compensate for it. On the other hand, the electronics industry would probably have multiple orgasms if tetrachromatic women end up being commonplace, because it would give them an excuse to sell totally new hardware to women for multiple generations as RG1G2B standards evolved, and let them promise that this new TV/optical media/whatever would look more realistic & lifelike to women.

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 1:42 pm

I think it's red, but a different shade of red.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 3:20 pm

artrat wrote:
It's a hot pinkish shade of red.

this is what i saw. hot pink is notoriously difficult to photograph, so it often looks red. i defuinitely don't see orange.

Declension and dr01dguy, thanks for the science stuff. fascinating.