Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

TxBella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2012, 12:32 pm

I have a 15 year old, non-verbal son who has started to have seizures. He cannot tell me if he is experiencing anything prior, during, or after the seizures. I would be interested in anyone who can tell me what he may be feeling.
Also, his neurologist has prescribed Keppra. I have not wanted to medicate him because of the wicked side effects of seizure meds.
He is a great kid and I want to do the very best for him.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

neerdowell
Toucan
Toucan

23 Feb 2012, 1:06 pm

I have had seizures for the past 15 yrs. Medication for the most part keeps them under control although the odd time I will still have a seizure.

Before seizure I usually have some idea that they are coming on via headaches or not being aware of my surrounding. After a grand mal seizure I have horrible headaches and my body is usually in alot of pain for while. I have no memories of the times well I am in the process of being in the seizure. I usually come out of it and than sleep for a while.

Petit mal seizure are different. They are basically me just zoning out and not understanding what is going on around me. I can hear people talking butwat they say makes no sense and I have no ability to respond. They last for about 30-60 seconds and than I am back to normal.

The side effects to seizure medicine may be strong. I am on tegretol and haven't had to many side effects besides gaining a lot of weight at first. I had to radically change my diet in order to lose some of the weight. I would rather have all the side effects of medication that spend my life having seizures.

SylviaLynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 1:09 pm

The major question you need to ask is what happens if you don't medicate and he keeps having seizures? I'd do some research on that, ask your doctor.

10 yo dd on the spectrum

TxBella
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Feb 2012, 12:50 pm

I have been told that if we do not medicate that the seizures will increase in frequency..as if your body makes it a "habit".