The 2000s 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The 2010s 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
The 1900s and before 31%  31%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 54

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2012, 10:52 pm

Music starts in 1964 for me. I enjoy the British Invasion and Motown which started to rival, that year. I like the stuff that The Beatles recorded during Beatlemania and The Kinks are my absolute favourite band of all time, and they became known as The Kinks the day that Mick Avory joined in early 64.

What year does music start for you?

Oslo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Feb 2012, 11:49 pm

I selected my favourite decade of music on the poll as being 'The 1900s and before', as I like music from the 1800s and the middle ages. However, I do also enjoy music from various parts of the twentieth century; namely the 1920s/30s and the 1960s.

I am not sure I would be able to define a specific year I felt music started for me, due to the ambiguous origins of some medieval music.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 12:22 am

Well the earliest piece of music that we have on record is from ~1500 B.C., so I'm going to pick that as my answer! (For reference, I listen to music from everywhere from the 16th century to the 1990s...yeah there's really very little "current" music I listen to lol)

Alohilani
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2012, 1:32 am

Music for me probably starts somewhere in the late 60s with The Mamas & the Papas and then goes all the way into the 70s and 80s (mostly classic rock)

Anyway, I rather listen to certain genres than to a specific year or decade.

Blasty
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 2:29 am

With a few exceptions, my collection begins in the late 1960s. I don't think I have anything from the 2010s yet.

Once in a while I like classical music or 1920s-30s jazz, but not very often.

Dhawal
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 3:34 am

For me, music has no place or time or genre. I can listen to anything from anywhere from anytime. I try not to listen to what others listen to. I try to get as diverse as possible, without losing the organicness of music.

How do NTs do that?

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 3:43 am

1972, Ian McCulloch hears Starman by Bowie and gets into music. :P

Eh, I'll probably like something from every decade of recorded music if I hear it...

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 6:52 am

Somewhere in the 8th century BC. I'm sure there was music before then but I'm not familiar with it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2012, 7:01 am

Your thread subject and poll questions are different.
My favourite decade for music changes a bit, but I frequently listen to music as old as the hills.
Gregorian chants, Nubian Oud, Didgeridoo...
Music is as old as people, I believe.
I think I have to choose the 70s for favourite decade, but all decades have both crap and gold.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 1:17 pm

I'm really not sure how to answer you're question. My appreciation for music began very young, in the early Sixties, but involved exposure to several styles that predated my birth as well as new styles that were just emerging. The Seventies were significant because that's when I really first began to choose my own music rather than relying on what others played, including the radio.

As I grew older, I developed appreciation for all kinds of music from all historical periods, and many different cultures.

Something about the blues (especially music based on Delta Blues), pulls at me more often than any other style. One thing I've noticed over the past ten years or so, that I didn't notice before, is that a lot of music I was drawn to before the year 2000 or so is actually blues rooted, but I didn't really notice at the time. These days I can hear the influence instantly if it's there, no matter how evolved or "morphed" it is.

It's almost as it my entire personality and bio-rhythms are "tuned" to the blues. It feels natural, and anything that's rooted it the blues is music I never have to be "in the mood to hear." Other styles I have to be in the mood for, but I can listen to anything blues-based at any time, in any mood. It's the only music that's like that for me.

I could answer "The Seventies" because that's WHEN I really started to go nuts listening, choosing and exploring music rabidly, but that would be misleading, because it wasn't necessarily "Seventies music" that did it for me. That just happened to be the decade in which it all began, and though a lot of Seventies music played a role in my appreciation, it wasn't necessarily the most important decade of music in terms of what came out then. In fact, I spent a lot of the Seventies discovering stuff that was already passe.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 3:41 pm

Easy, music goes back way before prehistoric times.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 3:43 pm

About 7000 B.C., the year from which the earliest and largest collection of prehistoric musical instruments was found in China.

SoundsLike_Kyle
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Feb 2012, 5:56 pm

Dhawal wrote:
For me, music has no place or time or genre. I can listen to anything from anywhere from anytime. I try not to listen to what others listen to. I try to get as diverse as possible, without losing the organicness of music.

Great answer. I don't usually drift to music because it's a certain year or fits easily into a certain category. So I voted, 1900s and before, but really all of the above would apply too (but it wasn't an option :wink:).

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

I listen to everything, so it starts as far back as I can find.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 8:01 pm

My music begins in the 1930's with left-wing folk music like Woody Guthrie. There were many things to sing about at the time of the great depression.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 8:44 pm

You seem to have 2 questions, what year you start listening to music, and then what year is your favorite.

For what year in time I start listening to music, unless you're counting like, church liturgy, it'd have to be the 1920s maybe, probably more the 30s, but possible 20s. I can't say I listen to that sort of stuff like, a lot, though, to be honest it's mainly from Fallout game OSTs, but I got a record collection of lots of older pre-rock music like that.

For me, I picked my favorite years for music as the 80s. It's sorta a tie with the 90s, but I think the 80s overall had more music by volume I liked, but the 90s had some REALLY good songs, whereas I feel like the 80s I like better on a whole, if that makes any sense. Japan was really doing well in the 80s, and Japan came out with lots of positively great stuff back then, so I have a lot of Japanese music from the 80s I really really especially like. I like American music of the 80s, too, one genre that stands out to me is freestyle music, sorta house music made by mostly Hispanics in America. But, my favorite music by far from the 80s must be italodisco, which is the basis upon which probably my favorite genre around today is created, eurobeat. Italodisco was wonderful music, though.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuLExUvd3PQ[/youtube]
1989, italodisco. While many people write off music such as this as corny or whatever, I pretty much think it's the greatest thing ever.