Do you prefer not to 'put others out'.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Do you sometimes try to avoid creating extra work for others?
Usually 63%  63%  [ 12 ]
Sometimes 26%  26%  [ 5 ]
Occasionally 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Rarely 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Never 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
I'm not really interested in doing it 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I'm not sure what puts people out 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I want to see the results 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

-froggo-
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 10:50 am

When I first found out about ASD I didn't do this so much and having read a fair amount I now try not to make extra work for other people, however as I am 16 I'm not sure whether this occurred simply because I am now developmentally able to do that. I do not do it because I 'feel' their emotions, but because I know they might not like it and that doing things which make other people unhappy is bad.

I was abused and still live with one of my abusers though following involvement from social services this has, aside from attempts at guilt tripping, stopped in the last couple of months. So, the other traits I have may be coping mechanisms. I have since been put on Sertraline for anxiety and depression.

For example, I do not think my psychologist should phone my school to ask them to be more lenient with my workload as I am struggling because then my psychologist has to make a phone call and my teachers will have to make extra time to mark my work when they might otherwise have done it at a different time. My psychologist thinks it is part of their jobs to do this but that this is not consistent with Asperger's.

I am willing to accept that I may not have an ASD as long as I get the help I need.

I am, nonetheless, interested in whether you sometimes* try to avoid creating extra work for others. Do you?

*because I doubt anyone would do it all the time.

Hexagon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

I have been asked if I want to have my workload reduced at school. I don't because it involves people taking a greater involvement in my life, which means greater invasion of privacy and talking to me.