Assange running for Australian Senate while detained

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Mar 2012, 7:33 am

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/03/17/w ... an-senate/

rather amazing really.

thoughts??

Jojo

Wallourdes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 12:58 pm

I think he is aiming for diplomatic immunity

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... =firefox-a

If the link doesn't work, try typing australian senate diplomatic immunity in Google and select the first result in cache.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 1:00 pm

I have no great love of him, I do not think he is fit for public office. I do not think he can be trusted to act in a responsible manner with confidentual things.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 1:22 pm

Wallourdes wrote:

If the link doesn't work, try typing australian senate diplomatic immunity in Google and select the first result in cache.

I do not see the document saying that becoming a member of the senate would protect Mr Assange, I know that in Russia that members of their Duma are immune from criminal law during their time in office. But I doubt if Assange will get elected in Russia.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

17 Mar 2012, 8:34 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
Wallourdes wrote:

I do not see the document saying that becoming a member of the senate would protect Mr Assange, I know that in Russia that members of their Duma are immune from criminal law during their time in office. But I doubt if Assange will get elected in Russia.

no but power does help when one is in a mess such as he.
I dont think he is doing it for his love for his fellow country folks. I agree with woodpecker in that he cannot be trusted with confidential personal info.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

Wallourdes wrote:

If that's what he is aiming for, he will be sorely disappointed.

1) If elected, he does not become a member of the Senate until he presents himself at Parliament House and is enrolled. Unless he can physically get himself to Canberra, he is merely a Senator-elect, entitled to no privileges or immunities.

2) Diplomatic immunity is conferred by the Receiving State. A Sending State is in no position to demand diplomatic immunity for any individual. In the absence of a "diplomatic acceptance" or some other similar document from the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Receiving State, a claim to diplomatic immunity is empty.

A diplomatic passport does not entitle the bearer to diplomatic immunity, ipso facto. (In any event, Members of Parliament who are not Ministers are issued "Official Passports," not diplomatic passports). The Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations sets out certain requirements for the extension of diplomatic immunity. Article 31 limits immunity to a "diplomatic agent" which is defined as "the head of mission or a member of the diplomatic staff of the mission." A member of a national legislature is not a diplomatic agent unless that member is also a Minister of the national government and is in the Receiving State for a diplomatic purpose.