people sounding different online than in real life?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

When you know someone in real life and then you talk to them online, did they all of a sudden sound like different people?

This has happened to me before. There have been people I have known in real life but online they sound like different people. My aid I had from 7th grade to 12th grade, she sounded different on my Facebook and my dad's friend's wife who is a real estate person. I have know her my whole life and she is our real estate agent and she sounded different in email than in real life. But I didn't take their tones personally because I figured they didn't mean it that way. Same as the time my dad told me online on Facebook when I posted a joke, he told me I was gross. Then I remembered that in real life he always talks that way and he never sounds serious or upset when he says it.

It's funny how tones can change online because all you see is text. Plus have you ever had it in reverse, you know someone online but then you meet them in real life and they are like different people than they are online?

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

Yeh. I tend to use a lot of emoticons to make sure my tone is clear...

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 3:12 pm

Meeting someone in person who you've known online for a long time feels strange. You've known them for so long, and yet you've just met them. There are people I've known online for over a decade, and I sometimes think about how strange it'll be if we ever meet.

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

I think I sound different in real life to how I do on recordings and the internet. Online friends I have met in real life have been a bit disconcerted at first by this.

My accent changes a lot too, which doesn't help.

And yes, meeting people in real life is odd, it's a friend, yet also a stranger. Modern life is weird.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

Slightly different, but I sound different if talking with someone on xbox live compared to in person. You don't have to project your voice if your talking into a mic or phone, so I sound an octave lower.

Catarina
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Mar 2012, 4:32 pm

My husband is ADHD and can say a lot of impulsive rude things.

Anyway he was working abroad, and we started corresponding more over chat and texts. He was so much nicer and more considerate. He had to think through what he was going to communicate before he wrote it, and I really liked "talking" with him like that more than on the phone. Also, I am more precise and straightforward in writing.

So, yeah, I think some people are much more formal or thoughtful in writing, than we tend to be in casual speech. I have worked with lawyers before, and I really think twice before posting some of my more opinionated thoughts.

"Nothing pays off so much as restraint of tongue and pen."

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Mar 2012, 9:37 pm

People I know from work said I was different online. I was more relaxed, humorous & expressed myself better. I'm more serious & private with people offline

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 6:42 pm

I am more uninhibited online. My sense of humor comes out more when I am not face to face with a person. Other people I know are the opposite. My mother is much more reserved online. I see the reservation more among the older people I know. I don't know if age has anything to do with it.

I have never met anyone that I know online. I am almost non-verbal around people I "have just met", so they would probably wonder what happened. :lol:

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 1:29 am

Jory wrote:
Meeting someone in person who you've known online for a long time feels strange. You've known them for so long, and yet you've just met them. There are people I've known online for over a decade, and I sometimes think about how strange it'll be if we ever meet.

8O The longest I've known someone online is for a year or so...
But I agree...once you meet someone that you've known fora stretch of time from online...it's SO weird.