Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 7:46 am

does anybody here suffer from binge eating alongside their condition?

if you do please let me know how you feel and what causes you to binge.

i suffer from binge eating but i cannot seem to put it into words at all.

i dont throw up i just eat and eat and eat.

also has anybody got any links to adhd or aspergers and binge eating.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 8:08 am

I was doing lot of binge eating earlier i think its connected to loneliness and depression.
Whenever I am outside or at workplace i wont feel hungry but if i am left alone and i am depressed i would just binge eat

When i am seriously depressed or hurt by any event then i hog on icecreams, cakes, chocolates

But after i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism i switched to healthy diet on recommendation of my superb endocrinologist
mostly i eat salads, curds, sugarless biscuits and baked healthy stuff.

I am from a family of diabetics so chances are i will have diabetes quite early in my life

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 8:11 am

i binge eat all the time. if i am happy i want to celebrate with lots of food. if i am miserable i want to stuff my face. if i am anything in between i just cant regulate it.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 8:20 am

I think I was... I was the type to eat, have seconds and have snacks after every meal. I broke that habbit of ritualistic eating after my health began to fail. I still have the urge fall back into that habbit, but cope with it by doing something else and do look back on how much breaking the habbit has changed me physically.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 10:22 am

Ive binged since I was a child.

I mostly binge to cope with my feelings post socially, for example after having to deal with any social event I want to binge as soon as I get in. Its an annoying problem and is the thing i would most like to change about myself.

I found this book quite good
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stop-Bingeing-C ... 35&sr=8-12

though most books Ive tried have not been helpful at all. Ive had lots of different therapies and not found them helpful.

I find Im best if I dont have any 'trigger foods' as if i have any crisps or cake or bread, I dont stop until I feel ill. I hate it, it makes me feel bad about myself and full of guilt, its like a form of self harm and really hard to change.

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 12:25 pm

I have in the past and sometimes occasionally relapse now. I have also suffered from exercise bulimia which even my doctors don't seem to understand is a real thing.

When I was a teen I had to stop feeling because of the teasing. Then I felt nothing at all for a while. I realized that the only thing I felt was some sort of happiness in my brain when eating. Though I was only slightly overweight I was already being called fat though I tried my best to be thinner. That was when I binge ate steadily for close to a year.

I gained a significant amount of weight. I started having trouble walking all of the stairs I had to each day. I started a diet which ending up
becoming a cycle of exercise bulimia for the next few years.

I don't have any links but I have read about women finding out they had Asperger's while being treated for eating disorders.

BlakesMom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Mar 2012, 3:09 pm

Many people engage in emotional eating. Like you said, when you're happy or sad or anything. It can be comforting and that can apply to NTs as well. but you may want to consider the trigger being sensory seeking behavior. Maybe you tend to perform those behaviors when your emotions get high or low. Like swimming maybe. It seems to be that way for my son.

He is 8. I wouldn't call it binge eating because it isn't in binges. He just wants to eat at all times no matter what. He says he is hungry all of the time. ALL the time! But he isn't because he will say it right after dinner. It is worse when he doesn't take his medicine. He takes Intuniv, which is an antihyperintensive. This type of med can treat tics or impulses. Without this meds he rocks back and forth a lot and he eats even more, like a manic type thing, it's exhausting.

His pediatrician said if he seems to need to eat, let him eat veggies. He said he can't OD on them, or get overweight. Ive been doing that and he is eating like an enormous amount of carrots. Haha also, he likes to eat frozen bagels and frozen things so I'm going to have him try frozen peas. Maybe eat a 'normal' amount of variety of foods and then let yourself have an unlimited amount if veggies (fresh or frozen or steamed, no sauce or fatty dips. Try crunchy things like carrots, celery...) maybe that way you can have the comfort of eating without gaining much weight or eating unhealthy foods. That's what I'm doing with my son and he is liking it.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

The-Raven wrote:

I find Im best if I dont have any 'trigger foods' as if i have any crisps or cake or bread, I dont stop until I feel ill. I hate it, it makes me feel bad about myself and full of guilt, its like a form of self harm and really hard to change.

oh crisps are terrible for me - a lifelong crisp addict.

i dont seem to be able to find a pattern to it. i know it IS emotional but it also seems to be just to occupy the mind.

KatherineBates
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2012, 5:16 am

I read somewhere once that people with autism are prone to overeating. It didn't explain why, but I remember watching a documentary about how you don't feel full based on physical cues (such as a bloated feeling), you base it on social cues (such as whether everyone else has stopped eating). This would correspond with the fact that people with autism don't respond to social cues, explaining why they may overeat :)

That's my excuse for being fat anyway haha!

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 9:10 pm

I used to be dangerously underweight, I did not think about eating much around that time I was underweight. I was told to eat as much as I can to gain the weight back by my doc at the time. My parents then encouraged me and let me eat anything and as much as I want, and they mostly fed me foods which had unhealthy addictive qualities very often. What was around the house was what I ate, and there wasn't much good in any of what I ate, besides taste of buttery fat, lots of sodium, sugar and other addictive ingredients. My appetite has adjusted to it as years went by and I am just used to eating a lot. I do not like when people say I am depressed or have trouble controlling my emotions, and that is why I binge. I just am used to eating too much and I am addicted to eating large portions and tasty but unhealthy foods, I don't eat much when I am feeling "off", in fact I eat less. Food doesn't taste good when I am having a bad day, and it is also harder to swallow. Is there anyone else out there like me?

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 5:43 pm

I have an Eating Disorder. Bingeing, purging, starving, it all comes with the territory. I've found that stress, anxiety, boredom, depression, and eating sweets eventually lead to a binge. Not always, but usually, especially when I haven't been eating much for awhile and people start becoming suspicious. Then I freak out so much that I go the exact opposite way of starvation. Binging for days. It's very hard to break either cycle.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2012, 1:06 pm

Tamsin wrote:
I have an Eating Disorder. Bingeing, purging, starving, it all comes with the territory. I've found that stress, anxiety, boredom, depression, and eating sweets eventually lead to a binge. Not always, but usually, especially when I haven't been eating much for awhile and people start becoming suspicious. Then I freak out so much that I go the exact opposite way of starvation. Binging for days. It's very hard to break either cycle.

I know the feeling- I have an eating disorder too and have had for 12 years :/ hate it but it's become routine and I don't know how to break it. I eat the same things during the day but binge/purge at night, weight's been going up a lot for the last two years because of the bingeing but I hate it and don't know what to do- I can't eat any less during the day or I binge more. Really, really hate it.

Shadewraith
Toucan
Toucan

25 Apr 2012, 1:24 am

TheDarkMage wrote:
i binge eat all the time. if i am happy i want to celebrate with lots of food. if i am miserable i want to stuff my face. if i am anything in between i just cant regulate it.

This is me right here. No idea why I do it. I also have hypothyroidism, so the combination of that and binge eating do nothing for my weight.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 5:56 am

I eat to stuff my feelings, but I don't know what my feelings are. The feeling of a full stomach calms me.

Bubbles137
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 2:56 pm

Aimless wrote:
I eat to stuff my feelings, but I don't know what my feelings are. The feeling of a full stomach calms me.

Can totally relate to that, I eat to get rid of the horrible nervous-sick feeling that comes for no reason. But I feel horrible afterwards too, but at least that feeling has a reason.

WhiteWidow
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 6:23 pm

I eat to feel sex. I haven't had sex in four years, and two days ago i had five slices of pizza, an ice cream cookie, a drum stick, twenty candies, a chocolate bar, a bacon cheese burger, fries, two big bags of chips, 2 L of pop. If nobody's screwing me - then I have to screw myself. I don't have "trees" so the only thing that made me feel relaxed was some sugary, salty, greesy food I haven't had in a LONG time