Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2012, 10:56 am

I used to live in Hermosa Beach. That was a safe place. Sunny everyday. Prior to that I was in Anaheim near Disneyland. It feels a million miles away from here. I thought about giving the place up but some of the other Gringos said to stay put and it would all be ok sometime in the future. My Spanish is not good enough for conversation plus round here they speak with Campo dialect. (country accent) Plus everyone around here is related except for the guy at the end of the lane who suffered somewhat for a year. NTs seem to know how to do the right thing and with aspies I feel that NTs feel that they can get away with anything.
I was happy on the boat. I was anchored out the way and I only came ashore when I needed to. I had the internet albeit a bit flaky.

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2012, 11:58 am

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I appreciate it.
MIke

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 2:15 pm

So this is racially motivated too? That does make things more difficult. It's much more of an unreasoning sort of hatred, you know?

I agree with the people who say "get your reasonable neighbors on your side". The best thing you can do is probably to form a sort of little community--you know, help each other out, watch each other's kids, help out with yardwork, do chores for the elderly or the new moms, grow a community garden, have block parties, just get to know each other. Knowing your neighbors can be a very good source of safety because it helps keep up awareness of possible crime: If you see someone breaking into your neighbor's house, you're likely to think more of it if you know that this neighbor is away at work and the guy currently climbing through the window doesn't live there.

Here in the US, in the inner cities where people are poor and the police are often hard to get to pay attention, that's the best thing that people can do to keep themselves safe--pull together and help each other out. I guess it would work for where you are too; it sounds like a pretty rough area.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

This place is off the beaten track, the road was only paved in 2002. Before that you had to use a horse or mule to get out of here.
The locals only see fairly well off Gringos. Of course I am called an Americano even tho I come from England. The people are very poor here and rob each other. All houses have bars over the windows and doors. When I lived on the boat I didn't get to know the situation very well. I am amazed that even tho it is pretty lawless that everything works so well. It is very different from Haiti.
I am the only person in the street who speaks English. There are two French Canadians. I got my neighbor a job in the marina but the place is new and there isn't much work. The corruption here is terrible and the owner keeps getting thrown in jail or harrassed by the police and the navy. He is paying large sums of money to someone in govt to protect him but it doesn't seem to work.
So in a few weeks I managed to get the guy what would be a years wage for a policeman but he wants to have enough to sit by the road everyday and watch the traffic go by. This has been a huge learning curve for me. All in all we feel that it is safer here than most places.

paddy26
Toucan
Toucan

24 Mar 2012, 2:37 pm

Hi, from reading the original post I'm not sure if it is harassment but I think giving your neighbor money was a bad idea. The accident could have just been an accident and the thing with the dog and car alarm would be frustrating but don't seem like a personal attack considering it probably annoyed the rest of your neighbors too. That's just my view anyway.

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2012, 2:44 pm

I forgot to mention when my neighbor's friend set fire to the land next door. It was on the day of our house warming and my neighbor knew about it as he was invited. Luckily I saw the guy set fire to the dry grass and walk away. A couple of guys were making our wall and managed to put the fire out. The other neighbors watched from their houses until the wind changed a bit and the flames set fire to one other garden.

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 6:58 am

From what you've said, it sounds like this neighbor (and possibly his friends) have taken a disliking towards you for some reason. I'd be very careful to stay away from him, while keeping highly aware of your surroundings at all times. Document (keep detailed records of) any further harassment or crimes against you from him. As others have suggested, talk to the people you get along with around there, and see what they know about him, and if they've got any advice for you. Inform the landlord that your water has been turned off. The landlord may also be helpful to you if he's had to deal with others having problems with this neighbor, before you moved in. Keeping a weapon handy wouldn't be a bad idea either, considering the situation you're in. If none of that gets you any information or help dealing with this neighbor, you may be forced to move elsewhere.

I can certainly understand your wanting to live in a smaller community with fewer crimes and people than there are in major cities. If you're forced to move elsewhere because of this crazy neighbor, however, you may want to consider going to another country that has better laws, courts and police to protect you.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 8:44 am

My family lived in Kenya for a while and this sounds very familiar.

I think documenting things is probably pointless, corrupt law isnt interested in evidence. You'll have to learn the art of fitting in and standing up for yourself, then knowing when to bribe.

It's a tough life, my family moved back when the money ran out. Everyone was after money all the time, so they were continually being begged, scammed or robbed.

Jason

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 12:29 pm

Is the guy right in the head to begin with? There is a similar guy who lives near my mother, but he's harmless. He was a regular married working guy and he cheated on his wife and she hit him in the head with a frying pan (or electric saw not turned on, two different versions) and now he has brain damage. He lives with his sister who lives by my mother. His name is Mr Arther and he walks all day long. He always speaks and waves and tries to stop people he recognizes and talk to them about religion. Sometimes when he's not on his meds, he will stand in the road and wave cars down if he knows you and ask for money.

The guy in your story doesn't sound as bad off as Mr Arther, but he may just be not quite right in his own way. Also, from your story I get the idea that you may not be from there. If thats the case, maybe the manners in their culture are different? I can't imagine asking somebody you just met for money unless it was either really ok to do in that culture, or the person had something wrong in the head.

What about asking some other neighbors if they have had any problems with him?

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

madmick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2012, 8:09 pm

I pulled in here to avoid a hurricane. The people seemed really nice. Just having a problem right now. I have taken the advice of this forum and went to see the French Canadian up the road. We managed to communicate in Spanish for a couple of hours. He has suffered the same and worse. I feel a lot happier just now.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 4:57 am

if you're a gringo, like you said, then maybe you can go to the US or england, or wherever people dont want to lynch you for being a stranger and the police isnt so corrupt, because what you've described is horrible.
anyway, although you have a right to defend yourself, if everyone is against you, including the police, if you kill someone in self defense you'll end up in jail or death penalty, although it's not fair.
if you cant or won't, for some reason, go to a modern country, move out of the house and get a home, not an apartment in a building. i've always wanted to live out in the woods with deer and other wildlife, where the nearest house is a mile away. why dont you try that.
what the manic did to you is horrible. your boss at work said you're over reacting, he's an idiot. and your neighbor is a low form of life and you live in a horrible environment and in the wrong country.
you shouldnt trust people or befriend them so easily. it's something we aspies do, and i used to but stopped after being burned. it's dangerous to give someone money, and you dont need his help. and it's dangerous to make friends so quickly, because we can't read people's motives and body language. if your wife is NT maybe she could help you with that, because that's what married people do, they help each other, and that's what marriage is all about is partnership with each supporting the other.
there also might be options to work from home, just in case you have problems on the job. i'm saying "might" because i dont know what you do, it's just that you can get a job on the internet nowadays.
the reason why you're being hassled so horribly is both because you're a gringo and because you're an aspie. we get bullied ten times more than NT.
and if you're thinking about taking yourself out, and you see no future, i think you should talk to your wife about that, or call the suicide hotline. problems can be solved if you put your heads together.