Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2012, 9:02 am

My expressions are minimal - and when I'm working in any capacity - especially physical work, according to others I have a default "serious" face. I think it happens when I focus deliberately - which means nearly everything I do.

Throughout my life I have been asked "what's so serious" or "why are you so serious all the time" or "why don't you smile?" It seems odd to some people when I show my sense of humor through that face.

Some people like to try and make me smile, because it's apparently the exception among my limited facial expressions

When I'm truly upset/pissed off (very rare), I get and intense over-focused look in my eyes, which normally isn't there - an intensity which has been described as "scary."

It has only bothered me on occasion, but it does make me self-conscious at times.

I can do expressions, but only If I consciously push to make them - and only interesting/obvious ones I've learned (copied) from people I know.

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 10:23 am

abyssquick wrote:
My expressions are minimal - and when I'm working in any capacity - especially physical work, according to others I have a default "serious" face. I think it happens when I focus deliberately - which means nearly everything I do.

Throughout my life I have been asked "what's so serious" or "why are you so serious all the time" or "why don't you smile?" It seems odd to some people when I show my sense of humor through that face.

Some people like to try and make me smile, because it's apparently the exception among my limited facial expressions

When I'm truly upset/pissed off (very rare), I get and intense over-focused look in my eyes, which normally isn't there - an intensity which has been described as "scary."

It has only bothered me on occasion, but it does make me self-conscious at times.

I can do expressions, but only If I consciously push to make them - and only interesting/obvious ones I've learned (copied) from people I know.

"Why are you angry?", "why are you sad?", "are you really ok?", "why don't you smile?" and similar questions are questions people have asked me my whole life. Annoying, isn't it?

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 4:15 pm

I mainly make more negative facial expressions. Sadness, confusion, anger, and just a blank look on my face. I don't really like to smile.

abyssquick wrote:

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:30 pm

abyssquick wrote:

People ask me this all the time, and it's like, what the f*ck? Leave me alone there's nothing wrong! This is my face!
It really offends me. This has happened all my life, ever since I can remember.

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:40 pm

I am the opposite, I have an eclectic range of facial expressions, I always have had. People have often remarked on them in quite a positive way.

In addition, I also have some practiced, over-the-top, comedy expressions, that I will occasionally pull out if I'm with people that I get on well with.

I wouldn't do them in front of just anybody though, I wouldn't want to make myself an easy target for certain types of people.

It can be fun.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:43 pm

Almost none.

Eternity29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2012, 6:43 pm

"Smile, Sarah!" Is a phrase I've heard quite often at school, work, and pretty much everywhere throughout my life. When I'm thinking about something, I guess I look unhappy, even when I'm not.

But also, I'm often told that I have unusual facial expressions, especially when I'm surprised or listening to others. People I work with tell me this a lot. They say that they like to watch my face in the meetings we have at the start of our shift.

My boyfriend also comments on my facial expressions a lot. He says they're funny and cute. I tell him I have no clue how my face looks, as I'm not watching myself in the mirror all the time. :roll:

Shhkids
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Jul 2012, 6:44 pm

i have them, just no one gets to see them because i dont feel comfortable around anyone besides kids.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 8:55 pm

When I was younger, I used to be encouraged to smile more...not so much anymore, tho, so I guess since then I've started smiling enough to satisfy people. :roll: I'm also able to make a variety of funny faces, too, but only when I'm alone and looking at myself in the mirror, lol.

Another thing is, this friend of my dad's thought it was funny bcuz I apparently make facial expressions that are almost identical to the ones my dad makes. I'm not even aware that I'm doing it, but this guy said that I do. Oh well, lots of people tell me I'm just like my father. :lol:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2012, 9:11 pm

I used to get the encouragements to smile. Less often now.

I have been told that a few of my facial expressions don't match normal ones. Apparently my angry face isn't the normal angry face, which has confused people. /shrug.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 9:23 pm

Well if I'm watching a really funny movie I'll smile or laugh.

But being asked to smile for no particular reason sound nuts. I also think if I comply and plaster a fake grin on my face I'll look crazy like Jack Torrence.

But otherwise if I'm thinking hard about a problem it can appear like I'm mad about something. I'm not sure why. I can imagine any scientist trying to mentally process difficult ideas using deep concentration might also have their eyebrows furrowed and look serious.

Maybe most people in daily life don't think that hard to generate that expression and that is why it is unfamiliar.

PixelPony
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jul 2012, 9:59 pm

Honestly, this may have something to do with why people often think I don't like them when I first meet them.

vanhalenkurtz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 3:28 am

My face is safe. Real normal expressions. Attractive, even.

Except when stimming, then I do the "Van Halen" solo grimace and the attractiveness is lost.

EQ: 6.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 6:05 am

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2012, 12:01 pm

I think I can put on too intense facial expressions. Like if somebody has asked me a question that requires a lot of thinking to answer it, I tend to screw up my face (pull up my cheek muscles to an unattractive extent).

But most of the time when I'm walking along I think I hold a look on my face that looks very ''worried''. Well, it's because I AM worried (I have an anxiety disorder so I'm practically worried all the time), so that facial expression is actually connected to how I'm feeling inside.

I have learnt to put on a happy expression a lot of the time now, like when greeting people or talking to people or whatever. I am proud of myself there.

corvuscorax
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jul 2012, 12:29 pm

I do, just not with most people. Unless I feel comfortable I try to hide my face and I usually keep my head down, until I feel more comfortable. Otherwise I'm fairly "normal" in that particular respect. Didn't even notice until my mom started trying to coach me a bit...

"Don't be That One Aspie..."