Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 4:52 am

Like people said, there's so much more to autism than social issues, for instance sensory things

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 5:36 am

A part of my autism is: I have to go downtown for example as I had to do yesterday and I get completely overwhelmed by auditive and visual overload.
My body reacts with a lot of stress and I need to find a strong focus in order to not getting a meltdown and into panic.
I was standing at a red light and wait and my eyes catch something white, which is moving in a distance of about 15m ahead of me.
I recognize it as a white ferret.
A bit later I recognize that a woman wearing black clothes is holding it (because I saw that the ferret was wearing a black leash and I followed the leash with my eyes and so I recognized a woman holding it).
I get so absorbt into watching the ferret without realizing it, that I do not notice that the lights turned green.
It were people coming from the other side of the street telling me: "You can cross the street".
This sortlike things happen a lot to me and it has nothing to do with a social aspect.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

dizzywater
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2012, 8:52 am

^^^^ I only go into the city about once a year, even though it is only 10 miles away. This is because of what you describe. It is exhausting & frightening & unbelievably disorientating. But in very small doses, I love the thrill of it. I love the smell of it too surprisingly enough.

Before coming to WP I had no idea of any connection between this, my inability to recognise people, my lifelong digestive problems and my inability to converse fluently in various situations. They really are so different.

I always thought my social problems were similar to what I heard about autism, but it is so much more than I had heard before.