Page 5 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2012, 4:28 am

musicforanna wrote:
Last month I went to a family reunion and played scrabble with a very distant relative who did not know me. He was about 30 or so, and leaned forward and made some comment about "girls your age" (I was with my 12 year old niece). I'm 28 and he thought she and I were the same age!! LOL!! ! (granted, my niece looks mature for her age-- she looks about 15, as she's already plenty taller than me and puts on makeup better than most of her peers, but still, this is the best age compliment I've had yet!).

I've always looked younger in general though. What do you think?

You look about 20 to me :).

antifeministfrills
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2012, 10:25 am

I do :) People think I'm older if they just see stuff I've typed online, though, because of my writing style.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 11:15 am

I wish I did. I'm 33 and I look about 33. Apparently I sound younger, though: in the last few years I've had a couple telemarketers ask to talk to my mom or dad. :lol:

People do say I look young to by my kids' mom, but then, my oldest is 12 - I am young to be her mom.

japan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2012, 12:05 pm

I've never read this about autism/asperger's before. However, I couldn't count how many times people have mistaken me for someone far younger than I am.

Interesting...

xerofyre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Aug 2012, 2:48 pm

I'm 23 and I look like I'm almost 30.

brawnybalboa
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Aug 2012, 4:39 pm

I must be somewhat of an anomaly. I have always appeared older than I actually am due to having an unnaturally deep voice (my vocal range extends down to a D2 with ease, B1 on a good day), facial hair (I used to have cracking sideburns) and being relatively tall (5' 10).

Even now many people believe I am a few years older than I actually am, which comes as no surprise. Family members and friends often mention how old I am for my age, both in personality and appearance. I rarely get ID'ed for alcohol, and often do not get ID'ed when others whom are older do (as the look younger).

For sake of argument how old do I look in this photo?

whiteflower
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2013, 8:59 pm

I've noticed some of my fellow aspies look younger than their age. I've frequently been thought of as younger than my younger brother when I'm actually two years older than him. I've also looked at actors and other people I've suspected are aspie and they look younger than they really are too. I do agree it has to do with facial expressions and that our faces are generally less expressive. Yay for us, we are youthful! :D

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

05 Jun 2013, 10:30 pm

I'm 27 and still get carded if I'm in my " civies". If I go into the beer store or I buy smokes after work and I'm in my work clothes covered in dust and grease, I avoid getting carded.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 3:10 pm

Jtuk wrote:
There are couple of reasons why aspies will look younger.

flat expressions = smooth unwrinkled foreheads.

wearing comfortable casual clothes (e.g. trainers, t-shirts, track suits etc.), rather than more formal age appropriate wear.

I also have no tattoos and wear no jewellery except a wedding ring. I wouldn't dream of any accessories or irrelevant items, so I look very decluttered.

I do look quite young for my age, but I'm not sharing a photo. I was carded the other week for alcohol, I'm 33 and the drinking age is 18, so pretty good going :)

Jason.

Another thing why aspies look younger is that we get a whole lot less sun/UV exposure then NT do. Excessive sun exposure ie. sun bathing, sun tanning can rapidly age the skin.

Stonetoad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2013, 5:05 pm

Same here, people think i'm 16 when I'm actually 23.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 6:07 pm

Autistics are younger emotionally than their actual age.

So the younger look is in general not due to less wrinkles etc.

It's because that inner child (younger emotional age) shines through the personality. This is perceived as being younger (and in some sense it really is being younger).

The problems with adherence to routines and lacking communication and social skills are due to the younger emotional age, as far as I'm aware.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 7:43 am

I think people think I am younger than 30 because I dress and act like a teenager many times and feel most comfortable around people age 22-25. My GF is 7.5 years younger but I would be surprised if anyone knew that without being told. I've also seen guys that I though were my age but are still in their late teens! Some kids today have more facial hair than I do.

When I wrote that '30' above it felt weird. I do not feel 30 at all mostly because I am so far behind emotionally and am going through what most guys do back in college.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm

i am 42 and i dont really look any younger or any older. people can see i am aged anywhere between 40 and 48 really. i have always look around my age.