Do you believe in the original sin?
Yes 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
No 82%  82%  [ 46 ]
Total votes : 56

laylasmith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2012, 9:49 pm

I have a question about original sin in christianity. Assuming that you believe in everyone born with the original sin that came from adam and eve.
Is it correct to say that we inherit the original sin from adam and eve?

and if it is, why didn't god forgive adam and eve? and why should the sin of someone in the past affect you now? do you get the sin of your parents? or grandparents? and if you don't inherit sin from your parents then why do you inherit it from adam and eve?

and if you do. is it fair? that you be judged for someone elses actions? if my dad murders someone, it is right that i would go to jail for it too? And God is forgiving right? and he loves you? would would a god that forgives and loves you create you with the sin of another person?

I might have more questions about this topic but this is all for right now. Do you have an answer for me?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:04 pm

There can be no original sin when there is no such thing as sin.

You will reap what you've sown.

laylasmith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2012, 10:27 pm

abacacus wrote:

But it was a question for people that do believe in sin.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:56 pm

And why wouldn't I try to lead such people in to the realm of facts instead of fairy tales, science instead of myth, and truth instead of lies? :wink:

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:23 pm

abacacus wrote:
And why wouldn't I try to lead such people in to the realm of facts instead of fairy tales, science instead of myth, and truth instead of lies? :wink:

Yes, we know your opinion, we always know your opinion. Can you just honor the obvious intent of the OP?

"I have a question about original sin in christianity. Assuming that you believe in everyone born with the original sin that came from adam and eve." The question is even worded in such a way that it basically excludes comments like yours.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:29 pm

laylasmith wrote:
abacacus wrote:

:/ then why provide "no" as an option?

Anyway, I do not

laylasmith
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Apr 2012, 11:42 pm

Vigilans wrote:
laylasmith wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Anyway, I do not

I was just wondering what people would answer,
My question though is for people that do believe in original sin.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:47 pm

laylasmith wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
laylasmith wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Anyway, I do not

If your question is only for those who believe in nonsense then why allow people to answer "no I don't believe in fairy tales"? :lol:

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm

abacacus wrote:
laylasmith wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
laylasmith wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Anyway, I do not

If your question is only for those who believe in nonsense then why allow people to answer "no I don't believe in fairy tales"? :lol:

Do we need to start mentioning people by name that we don't want to post in a thread because they just do the same disrespectful things over and over again?

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm

I give theology the full respect it deserves :wink:

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm

please keep this thread respectfully on-topic. thank you.

05 Apr 2012, 12:10 am

laylasmith wrote:
I have a question about original sin in christianity. Assuming that you believe in everyone born with the original sin that came from adam and eve.

and if it is, why didn't god forgive adam and eve? and why should the sin of someone in the past affect you now? do you get the sin of your parents? or grandparents? and if you don't inherit sin from your parents then why do you inherit it from adam and eve?

Because we are ALLEGEDLY all descended from Adam and Eve. So you could say that original sin is genetically transmitted.

Quote:

and if you do. is it fair? that you be judged for someone elses actions? if my dad murders someone, it is right that i would go to jail for it too? And God is forgiving right? and he loves you? would would a god that forgives and loves you create you with the sin of another person?

I might have more questions about this topic but this is all for right now. Do you have an answer for me?

Of course it's not fair! Religion really isn't about fairness and it never was. The rules of religion exist ultimately for the benefit of society and are justified by having the mandate of the Divine.

The whole idea of original sin is that you owe a debt to God. Since Jesus died for your sins and essentially gave you the gift of forgiveness, you must pay him back. You pay off your debt to God by living by the rules outlined in the bible, working your ass off and sacrificing your own personal gain for the common good.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 12:15 am

hyperlexian wrote:
please keep this thread respectfully on-topic. thank you.

Thank you for allowing a dialog that is respectful of the OP's intent and query.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2012, 12:18 am

Original Sin: That which is the result of an artificial society; often represented in creation myths where the original sin is equal to the distance of human society from absolute naturalism. Original sin is therefore all those sins committed in ignorance of a complete understanding of an artificial human society. Baptisms are therefore renewable until such a time as one has completely understood the artifice of human society.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:19 am

What would happen if Adam got Eve pregnant and had a baby before they at the fruit of knowledge? Would that child stay in Eden but it's younger corrupted siblings be booted out?

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:44 am

laylasmith wrote:

I believe it was the fall of our own innocence, away from the logos and away from God. Whatever it was, it was a corruption in the cosmos that left divinity reflected by creation in a distorted and perverted way. I have several interpretations of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, but one of them is that in order to know good and evil, you take on the capacity to commit evil. Before the fall, I think all there was was knowledge of God, so the paradigm wasn't divided into good and evil. To know evil may encompass the capacity to be tempted against good.

Quote:
and if it is, why didn't god forgive adam and eve? and why should the sin of someone in the past affect you now? do you get the sin of your parents? or grandparents? and if you don't inherit sin from your paryents then why do you inherit it from adam and eve?

Well, I don't think God forgave Adam and Eve, because Adam and Eve wouldn't allow God to forgive them.

Quote:

Well, you aren't necessarily judged for someone else's actions. Its more that our actions have consequences that affect succeeding generations. Its just like slavery and Jim Crowe in the South. Whether you're born black or white, you're just a giggly little kid. However, your parents, through their ignorance and faults raise you up in a certain way and pass those faults and ignorance onto you. The children of white slave owners were raised to see black children as inferior, and black slave children were raised to perceive their selves as inferior, and the cycle continued, unbroken for several generations, from the 16th century to the 19th century. There were residual effects left over, even after abolition, that facilitated Jim Crowe law in the 20th century and racist mentalities that leave negative effects even to this day in the 21st century.

In the same way, your dad, by murdering someone, would leave a negative impression on you. No, you shouldn't go to jail for it, but there'd be negative consequences of that action that would put you at more of a risk for developing dysfunctional or dangerous behavior in the future, just from not having a father around to look up to.