Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

gailryder17
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 8:35 pm

Scotty Holman's Article - click here

So I read this article about an autistic boy who grew up with a BPD mother and I saw some of the comments.

Someone used the username yourconcernedfamily and wrote this:

Quote:
Scott, you are so talented. You can write like an angel - you can accomplish so much good with your beautiful words. So why would you use ugly words and hateful lies to turn on the people who have loved you and tried only to help you? These words are meant only to hurt and destroy! There is no reason other than some warped sense of revenge. Your mother and father are good people who do not deserve this

The author responded like this:
Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. You may believe these to be lies and that is to be expected. I, however, have lived with the brutal and private truth of my upbringing my entire life. Your comments are quite characteristic of the family member of someone with BPD. I love my mother regardless, but no one acknowledged or sought the help for her I desperately and repeatedly begged for. I speak NO LIES in this article... it just isn't a nice, pretty picture. This is the first time I haven't at least lied by omission in my writing.

An earlier poster wrote this:
Quote:
Beautifully written piece of fiction. You are a gifted writer Scotty! It is amazing that so may people read this and rally around you as if to lift you up as a victim when in fact they are lifting up your ego and apparent desire to tear apart a family that has loved you from the moment you were born. What is the point of writing such awful accusations that are clearly fabricated from that beautiful mind of yours? Doing so is not "honest", but rather another one of your attempts to stay in a spotlight that is quickly fading because of your poor choices. It would be just as easy for many to "air their dirty laundry" regarding you however, that does not respect the person being attacked or give them the opportunity to respond or defend themselves. It is in fact a coward's way of manipulating others to stand behind them as they devastate others. No real honor here, just an attempt to tear apart lives with lies and deceit...

Now, others are in support of the writer for coming out with his story of abuse. Do you think the few posters who wrote the above comments were justified?

Forever in debt to your priceless advice

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2012, 9:26 pm

That's why these things are generally kept secret.
No-one wants to show their dirty laundry, to reveal their vulnerabilities..to open themselves to attack...without good reason.
And it is a healthy instinct to wish to protect one's mother, despite everything...

The responses are understandable, and expected.

Coming out helps others in similar circumstances.
It's how the human race progresses, increasing its knowledge base, finding resolutions for problems as they are uncovered.

+ Note that Alex also commented, making it clear that the article was posted with the mother's permission.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:04 pm

^That.

Also, some people don't want to believe that such horrible things could be true.

I also have to wonder if the two "naysayers" might not be hiding some stuff themselves....

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:15 pm

I'm a bit confused. Why would people make baseless accusations like that? And even if they do think it's a bunch of lies, it's still a very disrespectful way of responding, as there's always a chance that it's actually the truth. :?

ThinkTrees
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2012, 10:25 pm

People are often disrespectful when confronted by things they don't want to see, whether true or not.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 11:28 pm

ThinkTrees wrote:
People are often disrespectful when confronted by things they don't want to see, whether true or not.

I've found that to be true over the many years that I've been on here.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 12:54 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
ThinkTrees wrote:

I've found that to be true over the many years that I've been on here.

Why are they disrespectful?