Trouble relaxing muscle and posture.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:38 pm

I take classes in Aikido (a Japanese martial art), and I am frequently told that I am not relaxing (my arm, my shoulders, my back) even when I think I have relaxed those muscles. I am apparently more tense on average. Does anyone else have this problem, or does anyone have any ideas that might help?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

Just learn a relaxation technique such as meditation or self hypnotism. With hypnotism I am able to relax my whole body (except for my bladder).

When I did aikido for a little bit I had a hard time not just muscling my way through the techniques (from wrestling I had strong hands)

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 11:47 pm

I do breathing techniques for relaxation, but I still have trouble letting my limbs "flow".

Muscling my way through a technique is unlikely as I am the second smallest adult in the dojo as I am under 115 lbs.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 11:53 pm

nebrets wrote:
I do breathing techniques for relaxation, but I still have trouble letting my limbs "flow".

Muscling my way through a technique is unlikely as I am the second smallest adult in the dojo as I am under 115 lbs.

Do your breathing technique while you are trying to go to sleep. Think about how you want each of your limbs to relax and how that feels. Sense you are trying to relax all your whole body anyway for sleep then it will not be too different. Then you should hopefully be able to practice using your breathing technique to the full extent that you are trying to use it.

I only weigh 135lbs at 5ft 11

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm

I will start to do the relaxation techniques as I go to bed. Will that help me when I am trying to relax during the day?

It is not so much mental relaxation I am having trouble with. I think that I am calm and relaxed, but apparently when someone is helping me with back stretches or techniques where I am to "relax" my arms and move from my hips I am not relaxed.

I am curious if this is because I have a higher baseline stress level than most people, so what I consider to be relaxed is not?

Is this only my problem or do others have similar problems?

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2012, 7:32 am

I have huge problems relaxing. My therapist does breathing exercise/progressive relaxation exercise with me and always when I have to tense the muscles they are already tense and when I have to relax them I don't know how!

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:15 am

ECJ wrote:
I have huge problems relaxing. My therapist does breathing exercise/progressive relaxation exercise with me and always when I have to tense the muscles they are already tense and when I have to relax them I don't know how!

That is my problem in a nutshell I think.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 8:33 am

The best way to release that tension is to tense them even more.

Quote:
Lay down anywhere and do some deep breathing.

Start at the feet and point them to the sky, tensing the ankle and curl the toes, release after holding for ten seconds.

Tense the knees by straightening the legs as much as you can and release.

Tense the thighs and release.

Breath in your abdominals as far as you can, hold it and release.

Clench your fists as hard as you can. release and straighten your arms as much as you can, tensing them release after that.

Arch your back and tense your shoulders as if you are pushing your chest out, do this as hard as you can, hold it and release.

Doing that should make your muscles less tense and relaxed, it will also help you identify when you are tensing or not.