Anybody have really poor fine motor skills?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2012, 4:06 am

My normal handwriting is illegible to most people and is inconsistent. Letters are formed differently throughout a piece of writing :oops: If I really TRY to write "normally" (to address letters etc) it looks like a child has written it while walking through a field.
Mostly I write in block capitals or DRAW each letter carefully individually in a personal decorative serif font.

bnky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2012, 4:09 am

While i write very badly, I draw very well... with fine rapid seeming erratic movements that can't be explained by art lecturers but through which I can create photo-realistic (and other) images. I have been asked to tutor university drawing classes, but the thought of loads of students watching me freaks me out. I can and have taught individuals one-on-one though 8)

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 6:37 am

i also cant ride a bike. i tried when i was twelve and kept falling and almost broke my neck. i have a horrible time lighting a match, my handwriting as a child was terrible and i couldnt figure out how to write so people would understand, i have a hard time fitting a thread through a sewing needle's hole. age seven, i didnt quite get how to brush my teeth, how to get the brush just the right way.
dont worry, i know how to do that now and have very white teeth. but back then the dentist got real mad at me once.
anyway, riding a bike is gross motor skills, and picking up coins etc is fine motor skills. mine are both lousy.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 7:34 am

My fine motor skills suck bad in comparison to peers in pretty much all ways.

Gross are passable (in some ways they were/are good), though I'm still often seen as clumsy.

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2012, 8:15 am

Well my handwriting is awful and I'm rubbish at swimming BUT................
I used to fly radio controlled model aircraft in national level aerobatic competitions.
Great motor skills are required to do that.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 7:35 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
-in elementary school from grades 4-6 we were only allowed writing in pen if we had neat handwriting, we got these things called "pen licenses" that we

That's ironic because my writing is neater in pen than pencil.

Anyway, I have poor fine motor skills. The funny thing is I don't have problems in areas other than writing, really. I am a good swimmer, but not the best bike rider.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Trainbuff
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2012, 8:55 pm

Yep, I can't dribble a basketball if my life depended on it and I could'nt tie my shoes when I was younger, eventually I gave up trying to learn how.

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Apr 2012, 9:18 pm

I can swim, but I've never enjoyed (or maybe I'm unable to) swim lengths correctly. I only ever like to just float around or put goggles on and go underwater or something.

I tried riding a bike and failed when I was a kid. I was always on stabilisers. I'll never want to try again. Same goes for anything on wheels. I haven't the balance. I went to a skating party once (against my own will) and spent the whole time falling on my arse and having someone hold me up... and even then I still slipped to the floor.

I'm terrible at any sport and I can't catch.

I apparently learnt to walk really late too. I think my mum said I was two.

RaNg84
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2012, 9:23 pm

I can swim but not strongly.

I have terrible penmanship.

GuitarMan18
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Nov 2013, 12:42 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Does anybody else have really poor fine motor skills. Mine are terrible! It's basically been that way my whole life.

-in school my teachers made me use a pencil grip because of my poor penmanship
-in elementary school from grades 4-6 we were only allowed writing in pen if we had neat handwriting, we got these things called "pen licenses" that we earned with consistently neat penmanship, I never got mine
-I didn't learn hot to tie my shoes until....I can't even tell you I`m too embarrassed :oops: even now I`m slow at tying up things
-one of the reasons why I`m partially anxious to eat in a formal setting is because I`m not very good at cutting up my food and it looks really awkward when I`m eating, if I`m at home I escape to the kitchen and pre-cut my food so I don`t have to do it in front of everyone
-I had trouble styling my hair until I was an older teen, I still can`t do anything fancy
-I`m really slow at picking up small things like coins, I tried a cashier job before...bad fine motor skills + being slow at math + social anxiety= a nervous, shaking, freaked out girl
-I can`t draw worth anything
-I can`t ride a bike
-I can`t swim
-I can`t skate
-I have trouble peeling and cutting certain foods

I remember I had to have a physical therapist, I think it was...when I was a preteen to strengthen up my muscles, I had to squeeze those squishy stress balls and do certain exercises so my hands would get stronger.

Anybody else had or still have poor fine motor skills?

I can relate to a lot of these issues. I was also given a pencil grip to help with my penmanship skills. I wore Velcro shoes until I was 12, when the knowledge of how to tie my shoes finally "clicked", but it still took me longer than everyone else to tie my shoes. I didn't give off of training wheels for my bike until I was 8. I eat my food "weirdly" too. My friends have always joked about it, how my burgers and sandwiches always end up looking crooked, because I eat "around" the food item. I was a nervous wreck as a cashier too. I'm not so good at math (not terrible, mind you), but I would get terrible performance anxiety and mess up people's orders because I was afraid of screwing things up, which then made me screw their orders up. I have trouble peeling certain foods too. When strangers see me like this, they think I am "stupid", but all of my friends and family know that I have a superb intellect. That's what people on the "outside" don't understand. All of us with "mental issues" have tremendous strengths in some aspects, but those strengths always get overlooked by our weaknesses.

I've only had a few jobs in my life because of all of these "issues", which has messed with my self-worth and confidence to get out and do things in the world. The only thing I have ever been really good at is music, but of course that has to be one of the hardest fields to make a career out of it, with an overwhelming failure to success rate - coupled with my social awkwardness and anxiety. So FML.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2013, 4:26 pm

My fine motor skills are quite poor but my gross motor impairments are worse. I can't run or catch anything but I can just about write legibly and sew buttons on, etc. I have developmental dyspraxia as my main diagnosis.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 12:31 pm

Yes.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2013, 10:50 pm

Well not like that, but ive always been told i have floaty limbs or whatever you call it in english.

I often drop and or knock stuff over. Its annoying.

Ninox75
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Nov 2013, 1:47 am

- I have poor handwriting, I used to get letters back to front.
- It took me years to learn how to ride a bike and I am still wobbly unless I go fast
-I fumble when tying my shoelaces or even picking up something
- I can't cut anything out neatly
-There is no way I can use something like chopsticks
- I can swim under the water well but I founder if I try to swim on the surface
- If I try to put a marker pen back into its cap I always miss and leave a mark on my hand

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 1:00 pm

handwriting it my big problem, always got upset when I was younger because I was the only girl I knew with awful handwriting. did not learn how to write my name till later than everyone else, I remember tracing my name still while everyone else could write theirs already.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2013, 1:15 pm

franknfurter wrote:
handwriting it my big problem, always got upset when I was younger because I was the only girl I knew with awful handwriting. did not learn how to write my name till later than everyone else, I remember tracing my name still while everyone else could write theirs already.

Ever notice those girls who have that round, bubbly writing that can't have been done by a male? I take one look at that sort of handwriting and I just know that my brain couldn't possibly tell my hand to write in a similar way. Girls who write like this:

That said, I'm glad my spelling is better than it is in that example.