Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AnnieMayMango
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Apr 2012, 7:36 pm

I am going to try never lying from now on.
Is this a bad idea?
Although I'd just look like an arse-hole half the time.

Last edited by AnnieMayMango on 17 Apr 2012, 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 7:38 pm

Good luck.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 7:40 pm

I only lie when I feel I have to. I would always advise someone to be honest as much as they can, as lying doesn't lead to any good.

Last edited by Colinn on 16 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonAZ
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 8:21 pm

Ask me no questions and I will tell you know lies.

www.manyperceptions.org

My son has autism.

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:52 pm

Yes, it is a bad idea - unless you plan to never talk to any humans at all. There are just too many situations where lying is the optimal response. I hate lying and I think it's good to hate it, because it means you don't lie unnecessarily, but you should still be able to do it when you really need to. Exactly when that is is a far more difficult and highly subjective question, but it's certainly not as black-and-white as "lying is always bad".

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 11:56 pm

I'm very honest about myself here on WP. If I was that honest in real life, I could get myself in hot water at times.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 5:57 pm

I'd prefer to tell the truth, but I am every year less certain what it is.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

FMX wrote:
Yes, it is a bad idea - unless you plan to never talk to any humans at all. There are just too many situations where lying is the optimal response. I hate lying and I think it's good to hate it, because it means you don't lie unnecessarily, but you should still be able to do it when you really need to. Exactly when that is is a far more difficult and highly subjective question, but it's certainly not as black-and-white as "lying is always bad".

I agree. I myself hate lying and feel a twinge of guilt whenever I do it, but a lot of times it's absolutely necessary for peaceful interaction with other people. The movie Liar Liar starring Jim Carrey is a good example of how constantly telling the truth is a bad idea.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 6:57 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
FMX wrote:

I agree. I myself hate lying and feel a twinge of guilt whenever I do it, but a lot of times it's absolutely necessary for peaceful interaction with other people. The movie Liar Liar starring Jim Carrey is a good example of how constantly telling the truth is a bad idea.

Me, too, Alex. I am also uncomfortable with lying. It to the point where I can actually SAY a lie, but not in a way where it will convince anyone.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 7:08 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
FMX wrote:

Me, too, Alex. I am also uncomfortable with lying. It to the point where I can actually SAY a lie, but not in a way where it will convince anyone.

A lot of times my lies don't convince anyone either, but sometimes I do get away with it. I'm not sure if those times make me feel relieved or even more guilty though. I just hate abusing people's trust, especially the trust of my loved ones.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 7:10 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:
FMX wrote:

A lot of times my lies don't convince anyone either, but sometimes I do get away with it. I'm not sure if those times make me feel relieved or even more guilty though. I just hate abusing people's trust, especially the trust of my loved ones.

It is the same with me.

chrissyrun
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 2:18 am

I detest lying with unspeakable passion...so yea...good idea. :thumleft:

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 4:15 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I'm very honest about myself here on WP. If I was that honest in real life, I could get myself in hot water at times.

I hear that, man.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 11:31 pm

Wait how do we know every ones telling the truth when the heading is Lying? :chin:

keira
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 1:38 am

^^^ :lol:

I hate lying and prefer to be honest, but in some situations you just have to. Sometimes to spare someone's feelings, sometimes to keep a secret, sometimes to survive...

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2012, 8:01 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

I feel similar about that.

At the moment, I am forced to lie a lot because I have no other choice. ^^ I have to fake being ok. I have to fake being successful at what I am doing at the moment because, after all, university is "the time of life that's the best". I can't say that about myself, but you know... Maybe it only refers to parties.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman