Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Which of the following do you find most frightening?
Talking to close friends/partner/parents 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Talking to acquaintences 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Talking to peers at work 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Talking to doctor 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Talking to boss 29%  29%  [ 5 ]
Talking to company director 18%  18%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 17

chunkymicken
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Nov 2006, 7:32 am

Hi Guys (and Girls),

This is now the second time have been off sick with stress due to bullying in the so many years. What can I do about this? I just can't seem to stand up for myself. I react in three ways (in order of probability): (1) think the conversation is ok until I talk to someone else or think about and then realise that actually the person was being quite unpleasant, (2) not say anything because I get frightened or (3) get so angry I am unable to say anything. Mostly its (1) so I end up getting angry hours later after I have thought about it, which by then is too late.

Are these an aspie thing and if so does that mean there is nothing I can do about it? If it is not an aspie thing is it some sort of social disorder for which presumably I can do something to help it. I do find most social interactions with people I don't know very well, quite frightening, even like buying things from a shop (it feels so irrational but I can't help my heart race....feels so ridiculous).

How can obtain help for this, I do not seem to be able to get any satisfaction from talking to doctors.

David

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2006, 9:58 am

I know exactly how you feel, while i have never had a job i found school exteremly stressful.
I general social situations are difficult for people with aspergers so it sounds like it, but you can also get things such as social anxiety or a social phobia, you might want to look into these as well.
As for stress, i'm with you on that, try indentifying exactly what it is that makes you so stressed, then try to resolve it.
Another thing, are you certain that the person you are talking with is being offensive, perhaps it is there manner, are they like that with other people, or just you?. Also, you may have just misunderstood, i often get offended or upset by things people have said, when that wasn't their intentionat all.
AS for doctors, personally, i detest them, i got constant severe headaches for years, partly due to chronic stress, and every doctor told me to reduce my stress, not exactly helpful. the only things i can suggest, apart from searching for ways to reduce stress on the net, is try some sort of exercise as it can help inprove your mood and allow you to cope with stress better, if your focusing on something else, you can't get frustrated by something someone said.
Good luck to you, stress is a killer.

chunkymicken

10 Nov 2006, 10:45 am

Thanks very much for the support.

MelancholyBunny wrote:
Another thing, are you certain that the person you are talking with is being offensive, perhaps it is there manner, are they like that with other people, or just you?. Also, you may have just misunderstood, i often get offended or upset by things people have said, when that wasn't their intentionat all.

It is possible I am misunderstanding, but some of the things they say can just make me so angry, like "I am your boss so you have to do what I say" <---- all that happens is I don't do anything he says.

NorahW
Raven
Raven

11 Nov 2006, 5:25 pm

chunkymicken wrote:

MelancholyBunny wrote:

It is possible I am misunderstanding, but some of the things they say can just make me so angry, like "I am your boss so you have to do what I say" <---- all that happens is I don't do anything he says.

Does he/she talk that way to everyone?

chunkymicken

11 Nov 2006, 7:43 pm

He does talk like that with everyone.

Other people may get angry but put up with it, but I can't.

MelancholyBunny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 4:47 pm

chunkymicken wrote:

MelancholyBunny wrote:

Ouch, i know the feeling, my dad does something similar, they treat you like you don't have a brain and can think for yourself, i get so pissed off that i refuse out of principle, sort of cutting off your nose to spite your face thing.
Luckily i don't work for my dad (at least anymore :wink: ) but i'm guessing it's different as it's your boss.
I suppose the best idea is to not get annoyed, see it as a challenge and redirect your anger and annoyance into doing the best job you can do, sort of an up yours.
Sounds easy huh?