Veteran

09 Mar 2005, 9:54 am

Snoopy! How long have ya been back? We missed ya
A

Crion87
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Mar 2005, 9:11 am

I have a bit of trouble with interacting socially (ok...a lot of trouble... :oops: )

I seem to interact better with foreigners, but not so good with my own countrymen. Probably because it's easier to learn a foreigner's way of doing things, and you're expected to know how to be an Aussie straight away. :x

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2005, 9:18 am

Quote:
I seem to interact better with foreigners, but not so good with my own countrymen.

I seem to be similar in that regard.

I once read AS described as being permanently in "culture shock." Perhaps that's the reason we can relate more easily to foreigners, as well.

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2005, 11:07 am

Tha's a good observation Civet. I'm wondering also if it has to do with the fact that they are more reserved like me.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2005, 3:04 pm

Civet wrote:
I once read AS described as being permanently in "culture shock." Perhaps that's the reason we can relate more easily to foreigners, as well.
I think it's just because people like to help foreigners. Part of it is probably nationalistic pride ("Please let me show you my country") and part of it is just the opportunity to learn something new from people who are not like you and actually appreciate the difference instead of harassing you.

I've been to many different countries, but for me the best trip was to northern China because it's the one place I've been where there has been little exposure to English caucasians and therefore few preconceived ideas about what they should expect from me.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2005, 2:34 pm

Hi, been back just a day or two; dn't have much time, but I was wondering, when it comes to meeting people...do you think business cards would help?

I'm not talking about just little things w/a name, I'm talking about what they'd do in the early 1800s. Giving someone a larger card with notes identifying oneself and one's interests, likes, dislikes, etc.. Of course, in the old days it would be geared toward the business community or people w/similar interests - if a Lafayette wanted to meet with Thomas Jefferson, for instance, he would send a card identifying himself first and stating who he was and why he wished to meet w/Jefferson.

Of course, there would be the down side that you wouldn't have a card fromt he other person, and that would make it difficult to know how to interact totally with them. However, if the right info was ons uch cards, it would show that: 1. The other person needed to take the lead in interacting/inviting you places/etc.; and 2. You and that other person might have a genuine interest. Sort of like what was said about professional socializing being easier.

It's a weird idea, and very formal, but has anyone tried that since, say, 1880? :-) It would at least help you find something interesting to talk about, even the card could be a topic of convesation. :-)