Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bonbayel
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Nov 2006, 7:46 pm

When I described my self diagnosed AS condition to my son (who I expect is also AS), he sent me a book called "The Da Vinci Method", which you can read about at www.davincimethod.com.

They claim there is a special "Da Vinci gene" DRD4 that makes people extra creative, etc., artistic, neurotic, impulsive, creative, either 100% there or 0% there, etc. (or ADD or ADHD)

I expect there are a number of autists and aspies who fit into the Da Vinci category.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 8:43 pm

Who's to say? Maybe it is just me, but there IS a kind of Renaissance of the mind today. If ONLY it was more serious and widespread. I always thought curiousity and scientific study weren't really good ideas for a social life. I wish they were. Anyway, I don't think ANY of the great minds were known for a great social life.

BTW Save your money and DON'T buy the "davinci method"!

You note they never give amazon reviews of IT!

Richard Branson was TENACIOUS, FEARLESS, SMART, and had a GREAT personality! I would have EXPECTED him to do well!

Albert Einstein had a tiny hidden talent, was RIDICULED, etc.... but had an obsession and a dead end job. Luckily, he probably had enough curiousity to nourish that spark, satisfy his obsession, publish, and catch others peoples attention. He was LUCKY!

P Diddy is apparantly no slouch, smart, etc... With an ethnic bent, he hit a market! LUCKY!

Thomas edison was tireless, stubborn, legalistic, smart, and tried to find a solution to all the houshold problems. OF COURSE he succeeded.

George Lucas had a LOUSY script after a LOUSY idea! MAN was it ridiculed! Many thought LONG AND HARD about staring in it. LUCKILY, he had an imaginaton and managed to pull it off, and hit a cult following. MAN was he LUCKY! He saw how NOBODY could do what he wanted, so he created a company to do that for others. STILL, if star wars didn't take off.....

Bono is apparantly like richard branson, but more laid back with talent instead of the fearless streak. I could see him doing well.

Walt Disney was like Lucas, and ended up doing the SAME! OF COURSE he succeeded!

BILL CLINTON!?!?!? COME ON!! !! !! ! So he is a sycophant, etc.... And WHEN did he get a buck or get a dollar that WASN'T on the pulic dole?

Ben Cohen? What did he REALLY do? Why wasn't JERRY mentioned?

I'm surprised they don't mention the donothing car crasher that convinced a friend to putup most of the money, and give HIM most of the stock! The name? William Gates III(AKA Bill Gates)

Or what about the not responsible guy that merely got the REAL designer to cofound a company that could concievably be considered the first computer company for the masses. HIS name? "Steve Jobs".

I flash those two names ONLY because they are often mentioned in cases like this, even though M/S has no relevance, and "Steve WOZNIAK" would be more appropriate for the other.

Steve

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 9:25 pm

BESIDES, If I could have the fearlessness and tenaciousness, and just the personality, of richard branson, I would WELCOME it. I don't think ANY book could give that to you, and doctors would say it is part chemical, childhood experience, and just dumb luck.

BTW Where were faraday and tesla?!?!?!? If someone like faraday didn't exist, I might have discovered that stuff. IRONICALLY, TESLA got westinghouse to go against Edison for AC current. If tesla wasn't there, faradays theories couldn't have been used, and edisons inventions might have been obscure! Yet EDISON got mentioned, and they didn't. OH WELL.

BTW from what I heard, faraday had more curiousity, and tesla was smarter. But EDISON worked on gadgets that(with faraday and tesla) could be houshold, and he patented them.

Steve

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

11 Nov 2006, 9:40 pm

I reckon I'll make it into this list someday...

SteveK wrote:
...EXPECTED him to do well!

Tim van der Meij, HE was living a quiet life with an abitious idea, and by pure LUCK he landed an audience that like it! Now he's living the quiet life and making money off this ONE idea and not putting in any more effort!

Albert Einstein had a tiny hidden...

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :wink: :D No offense intended, okay Steve?

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 10:58 pm

The Da Vinci Method--not to be confused with the Da Vinci Code.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2006, 11:16 pm

KBABZ,

I said

Albert Einstein had a tiny hidden talent, was RIDICULED, etc.... but had an obsession and a dead end job. Luckily, he probably had enough curiousity to nourish that spark, satisfy his obsession, publish, and catch others peoples attention. He was LUCKY!

Because he was considered an idiot by many accounts early on! He apparntly DID have some talent for numbers earlier. He had an obsession(so the story goes) about what would happen with light if everything else traveled faster than it. He worked as a patent clerk. OK, Maybe I listened to a recent story about him too much.

BTW Note the reference to self study, and aspergers.

http://www.aip.org/history/einstein/einbrain.htm

This makes him sound like SEEMINGLY slow until 9, and he learned most by him self(as I did), his life was uprooted a lot(like mine was) and he changed plans because of his parents(like I did), and worked on langauges and other areas (as I am)!

But HEY, WHO KNOWS? Are we really THAT bad in comparison? His brain was not that different from ours structurally or in capacity.

Steve

fujikochan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Nov 2006, 12:11 am

DaVinci's Inquest > DaVinci Method

:D

Seriously, it seems like a bunch of bull-hockey to me.

As for the Einsteinian (is that an adjective?) connections, I imagine many on this website relate to Einstein because of his need for self-study and free thought. It is a story that can bring much hope for some of us, although, as Steve mentioned, he was mostly very lucky.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

12 Nov 2006, 1:07 am

Sorry Steve, that post I did earlier was just a semi-selfish pull on myself. I didn't mean any further explination on Einstein, but as I as discovered as I read on, I found it to be very interesting! I respect everyone's opinion, so I apoligise if I gave the wrong perspective. I want, and probably will, make my story into a book, and if all went to plan, a series of movies. The little cut-out was just to keep the post small, okay?

So all done and done. *shakes hands*

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 11:42 am

Da Vinci - I wish

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 1:03 pm

I know Da Vinci is on the retro-diagnosis list of ASDs.

Given his classic savant skills, and the fact that a majority of savants are on the ASD Spectrum somewhere, he seems a prime candidate.

Of course, no one can ever know for sure. But it seems likely to me.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

bonbayel
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2006, 1:30 pm

What I think the book could give are some coping skills to learn how to get our "brilliance" out where it can be useful. Right now my great ideas seem to be invisible, unheard, ignored. Sometimes I feel that people are afraid of my ideas because they go too far from their comfort zone, even though I have been trying for years to learn how to package them to make them go over better!

My big interest for the past 15 years has been to motivate people to act environmentally sustainably, but few people are ready for that. I've been reading a lot about "change management", hoping that I can learn coping skills to be able to present my ideas better.

It is very frustrating to see things being done "wrong" when you know there is a better way to do it but no one will listen!

Kahazidhea
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2006, 2:18 pm

KBABZ wrote:
I reckon I'll make it into this list someday...

SteveK wrote:
...EXPECTED him to do well!

Tim van der Meij, HE was living a quiet life with an abitious idea, and by pure LUCK he landed an audience that like it! Now he's living the quiet life and making money off this ONE idea and not putting in any more effort!

Albert Einstein had a tiny hidden...

Sorry, I couldn't resist! :wink: :D No offense intended, okay Steve?

LMAO!

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2006, 3:18 pm

Some psychology books I am reading state there is no "max level" of intelligence per person.. There is little reason why one cannot excel to Einstein, as long as they have the building blocks to get their.. Sometimes, learning something just becomes easier for some people, much like skating can come natural to some, but the similarity between the 2 is that you can always learn how

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 11:04 am

bonbayel wrote:
When I described my self diagnosed AS condition to my son (who I expect is also AS), he sent me a book called "The Da Vinci Method", which you can read about at www.davincimethod.com.

They claim there is a special "Da Vinci gene" DRD4 that makes people extra creative, etc., artistic, neurotic, impulsive, creative, either 100% there or 0% there, etc. (or ADD or ADHD)

I expect there are a number of autists and aspies who fit into the Da Vinci category.

---

Did Da Vinci have Asperger or autism?

There are a number of different fields which all claim Da Vinci is one of them. It varies.

The dyslexia field often swears Da Vinci is dyslexic.

Parts of the ADHD - ADD - Hyperactivity field often swears Da Vinci is ADHD.

A small part of the field of epilepsy can come close to swearing that Da Vinci may have had a subtle form of epilepsy.

The gifted field often swear Da Vinci is one of them.

Often these claims are followed by give money to us:

Dyslexia
ADHD
Epilepsy
Gifted

and so on.

Celebrities like Da Vinci can bring in money/increase fund raising efforts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonardo_da_Vinci

---

Even the world of movies and religions have jumped on Da Vinci to make money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Da_Vinci_Code_(film)

---

My view on Da Vinci.

Of course, Da Vinci had Asperger - Autism. Send your money now to World Planet.

World Planet is a worthwhile resource to support.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 11:32 am

Ugh. Not this again.

I don't mean to offend, but.....

I'm getting perfectly fed-up with introverts, learning-disabled people, and so-on, and the never-ending claims of "genius" and "giftedness." I suppose when society doesn't "value" your innate talents as much as they do extroverts/normal people, it's easy to get caught up in ways to make yourself feel "special," but seriously folks. Not every Aspie/autistic is a genius/gifted, nor is every genius/gifted person an Aspie/autistic. In fact, I suspect the majority aren't.

The idea that "loner= genius" seems predicated on the notion that sitting around on a Saturday night, looking up random facts on Pokemon and memorizing the names of U.S. presidents is somehow intellectually superior to going to clubs with friends. In my opinion, it's certainly not. The former is every bit as intellectually mediocre as the latter and, in my more sour moments, I'm prone to saying, "You're still dumb, it's just that you choose to be dumb alone and the rest of the world chooses to be dumb with company." This is based on my personal experience with perfectly stupid, yet utterly snobby, self-obsessed introverts claiming "giftedness" and "genius," but with little to back up those claims beyond that they engage in different pastimes than the majority, or they claim a high IQs, but yet still live with Mommy and Daddy past the age of 35. Whoop-de-friggen-doo. Sitting around, claiming to be "special," a genius, or "gifted" is a very far cry from actually DOING anything that would make those lables accurate.

My view on what constitutes true "genius" is the individual's ideas help advance human understanding in science, art, technology, ect. and push civilization to a new stage of existence. VERY few people rise to that level as such talents are RARE. IMHO, I do not have "special genes." I have nothing in common with Einstein, Da Vinci, Bill Gates, Edvard Munch, or any other awesome personage, and unless someone can offer something more than the introverts' standard "me do real gudd at skool and evrybofy thinks im smart," then I'm going to conclude that the vast majority of stinking, unwashed humanity, AS/autism or otherwise, doesn't either.

--XFG

menintights
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2010, 12:56 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Ugh. Not this again.

I don't mean to offend, but.....

I'm getting perfectly fed-up with introverts, learning-disabled people, and so-on, and the never-ending claims of "genius" and "giftedness." I suppose when society doesn't "value" your innate talents as much as they do extroverts/normal people, it's easy to get caught up in ways to make yourself feel "special," but seriously folks. Not every Aspie/autistic is a genius/gifted, nor is every genius/gifted person an Aspie/autistic. In fact, I suspect the majority aren't.

The idea that "loner= genius" seems predicated on the notion that sitting around on a Saturday night, looking up random facts on Pokemon and memorizing the names of U.S. presidents is somehow intellectually superior to going to clubs with friends. In my opinion, it's certainly not. The former is every bit as intellectually mediocre as the latter and, in my more sour moments, I'm prone to saying, "You're still dumb, it's just that you choose to be dumb alone and the rest of the world chooses to be dumb with company." This is based on my personal experience with perfectly stupid, yet utterly snobby, self-obsessed introverts claiming "giftedness" and "genius," but with little to back up those claims beyond that they engage in different pastimes than the majority, or they claim a high IQs, but yet still live with Mommy and Daddy past the age of 35. Whoop-de-friggen-doo. Sitting around, claiming to be "special," a genius, or "gifted" is a very far cry from actually DOING anything that would make those lables accurate.

My view on what constitutes true "genius" is the individual's ideas help advance human understanding in science, art, technology, ect. and push civilization to a new stage of existence. VERY few people rise to that level as such talents are RARE. IMHO, I do not have "special genes." I have nothing in common with Einstein, Da Vinci, Bill Gates, Edvard Munch, or any other awesome personage, and unless someone can offer something more than the introverts' standard "me do real gudd at skool and evrybofy thinks im smart," then I'm going to conclude that the vast majority of stinking, unwashed humanity, AS/autism or otherwise, doesn't either.

--XFG

+1

Thankfully, I didn't score that high on my IQ test and I realized I'm not that smart a long time ago.