Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 8:40 am

Hi,

I find it really hard to be brief, on anything. Even talking about weather. It takes considerable effort. Like I try to make short phone SMS and web messages but it takes me a very long time. And if I just talk like normal I write A LOT and it bothers people / scares them off Is there anything I could do or any way I could learn to say all the same things but in much shorter messages, or learn to keep some conversation back for later on? It's plagued me for as long as I can remember.

Does anyone else have this problem?

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 8:45 am

Actually, I'm very self-conscious about this, but I have a complete inability to summarize anything, and I'm very detail oriented, so I tend to go on and on.

Just check out any thread that I've posted in. I feel like I write novel-length responses compared to everyone else, and it makes me feel bad.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to stop. The only time I don't elaborate or talk too much is if I'm really tired.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:08 am

Perhaps, try to prioritize your message. Say first what is important, if you have something important to say / write. Some conversations are really about nothing (or it seems so), so maybe if you speak about the weather, say something along the lines of "the weather will be really good for a weekend excursion, they said in the radio, unlike yesterday's forecast". This way you have a topic about forecast accuracy, told the weather will be good, and at the same time the conversational partners learned you'd probably go for hiking. All in a simple sentence, so the ball is on the other side, with several choices as to where to continue the conversation.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 9:25 am

If you have ever read some of my posts you'll see that I really have no advice to give on that topic. ;-) Mine are usually either one liners or novels.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

03 May 2012, 10:19 am

OliveOilMom wrote:
If you have ever read some of my posts you'll see that I really have no advice to give on that topic. ;-) Mine are usually either one liners or novels.

Ditto. I'm like this with everything, which is really awful on tests and forms. Either I don't know what to put or I want to write a dissertation on whatever it is I'm supposed to be talking about. Essays with page or word limits are going to be the death of me.

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 10:23 am

Yeah I can't do forms because I want to be pedantic and half the time answers don't allow for it. And I dunno. Just I feel saddened at times. I don't feel I write anything wrong but because I write so much I think I send this creepy vibe out.

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

03 May 2012, 10:52 am

JanuaryMan wrote:
Yeah I can't do forms because I want to be pedantic and half the time answers don't allow for it. And I dunno. Just I feel saddened at times. I don't feel I write anything wrong but because I write so much I think I send this creepy vibe out.

Yeah, I've gotten that reaction too. People give me this look when they see I've used little tiny writing to work three lines of text into one line's worth of space. :oops:

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:03 am

It's only wrong if you insist that others communicate with you in the same way, or you don't wait long enough for a response, or if you talk over others. Otherwise, I like chatty people.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:12 am

Nah, I don't think it would be fair for others to respond in that style. It would be exhausting :P
I found it at the pub as well when I went to see the activity group. One of them brought up global warming, and I spent 2 mins saying something only for one of them to go "so really you mean this, then this" and I was like "yeah, well put" and it just killed the convo!

Or basically in my benefit forms in the past I'd just write too much in the boxes and it would lead to me having delays with the paperwork.

I guess it's not so much I get frustrated with recipients, just myself at times. Another example is in chatrooms. Because I'm a fast typer and I think a lot I tend to squash out a lot of chat if I get stimulated on a topic. I find the best way to deal with it is simply just to go idle for 2-3mins then respond to whatever has come up.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:15 am

Yes. (I promised myself this was all I would write.) :roll:

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:17 am

I used to be much worse about this, until I really studied high level literature and writing. I think it's related to how our brains package things rather separately. We like to make each mental package a sentence, because sentences are grammatical packages, when it is not always necessary. Part of the trick to not doing that so badly is to learn enough common transitional phrases and grammar constructs to chain together these packages into longer, more complex sentences to allow for a more concise message. The key to taking that to impressive writing is to intentionally link disparate thought packages in unusual and compelling ways.

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:17 am

SpiritBlooms wrote:
Yes. (I promised myself this was all I would write.) :roll:

You almost nailed it! :wink:

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:26 am

I can't seem to edit as I write, so I just ramble on and then once I have finished writing whatever it is, I try and edit it until it is a reasonable length. I remove any superfluous words, sentences that aren't necessary and sometimes whole paragraphs. It takes some time and often things are still too long.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:52 am

fragileclover wrote:
Just check out any thread that I've posted in. I feel like I write novel-length responses compared to everyone else, and it makes me feel bad.

Funny, I look at other people's responses and feel bad that mine is so short in comparison. I don't know about the rest of the people here, but I like longer, in-depth responses.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 11:57 am

Try going to court and having to explain something to a judge. I used to get cut off halfway done by our judge but things are better now. I mentioned how it changed in another post, so I won't go into it here.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2012, 1:11 pm

UnLoser wrote:
fragileclover wrote:

Funny, I look at other people's responses and feel bad that mine is so short in comparison. I don't know about the rest of the people here, but I like longer, in-depth responses.
I'm glad to know that some people do, because that's my biggest concern about this, that when I write a long post people probably just skim over or ignore it as too long, and that it's a waste of my time (which it may be nonetheless).

I'm one of those people who, when I buy a book, feel a bit cheated if the book is too short. :D