Page 174 of 276 [ 4403 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 276  Next

Sancthuary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Oct 2017, 8:58 pm

How about Kerbal Space Program? I often spend a hour for design aircraft.
Also with the BDarmory Mod for KSP to turn from Space Program Simulation to Combat Aircraft Construction simulation :D

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2017, 10:15 pm

Sancthuary wrote:
How about Kerbal Space Program? I often spend a hour for design aircraft.
Also with the BDarmory Mod for KSP to turn from Space Program Simulation to Combat Aircraft Construction simulation :D

I watched a video; looks like fun, but I must satisfy my desire to drive around listening to mean jokes about Americans.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 5:37 am

More Spelunky. Able to get through more consistently now.

Got to Olmec. Was nearly about to beat him.

Promptly got glitched to death. Just to be sure, I checked the wiki for that fight: The one and only known bug is indeed exactly what happened.

I shall attempt not to murder anything in anger, but I may not be successful.

EDIT: Or he went down on the very next run. Okay.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 12:28 am

I bought into the early alpha of OrbusVR, due to come out soon into Steam Early Access. As far as I'm aware it's the first MMORPG to be released for VR and from what I've played so far I've had fun.

There's lots of really neat ideas and interactions, like being able to bodyblock mobs as a warrior tank from reaching squishy party members, and as the warrior abilities are tied to combos, where you slash your enemies in certain directions to do abilities. For example, to pull off your aggro combo you slash leftward, rightward then upwards, then once you have aggro you should aim to keep a slowing debuff on your target, which is an upward, rightward, leftward then upward slash. That lasts for a few seconds so you can weave in damage combos before you have to refresh the slowing debuff.

I want to learn how to do magic, but I have yet to do the quests that take me down that path. It seems really fun, with mages being able to cast any magic they want as long as they know how to draw the required runes, not requiring any sort of resource. And by know, I mean not an ingame learnt skill, but just knowing how to draw it. So it's not unusual to see mages about in the game, teaching each other different spells, or hanging around in town teaching each other how to produce fireworks.

It takes a lot of good ideas from other games, such as telegraphed area of effect attacks from mobs (WOW with addons or FFXIV). It has FFXIV style classes where you can play as any class, you just have to change your weapon, and XP is seperate for each class. It also has some twists on old school style mechanics that I haven't seen for a while, (probably mainly because I've tended to play more casual MMOs) such as open PVP areas with death making you drop all your non-equipped items, and bounty systems for player killers where PKs need to basically stay away from civilisation until they are killed for their bounty or the bounty on their head clears. It also does a many things differently which suit the gameplay; questgivers will tell you what they need of you and how to do it, but you never have anything like quest markers. Instead you have a compass and map and you have to rely on the directions of the questgiver and your ability to read a map to get there. See a waterfall with a bridge to the east when atop that cliffside? Check your map - you'll find that landmark and can use that to figure out where to go next.

This is the sort of game I've been really looking forward to in VR, and it shows a lot of promise.

Also I finished The Gallery - Episode 2 yesterday. Reminded me of why I loved the first game so much, but it was much longer, took me four hours to finish. The game still reminds me a lot of Myst and The Dig. Can't wait for the third episode, but I have a feeling it will take a while given how long this one took. It does have some performance issues though that need to be worked out - currently there's an issue bottlenecking frame rate and it seems to be CPU or memory related.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 5:15 pm

Pokemon Blue Rescue Team.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 5:37 pm

Really enjoying GTA4. Sinking my teeth into the combat system, progresing the storyline, the plot thickens lol

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm

“battleborn” trial... favorite characters were ernest, isic(dressed as claptrap), and thorn. only tried them in training mode since the trial, otherwise, only allowed online competitive modes.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2017, 7:01 am

Psyching myself up to play a really fun game called "clean up the mousey that your kitty had WAYYY too much fun with, and try not to lose your lunch" =(

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 7:06 pm

Pokemon Blue Rescue Team. I'm acing the game by playing as a Skitty with Thunderbolt, Sing, Assist, and Double-Slap, and a Tight Belt i got through Wonder Mail codes.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Oct 2017, 6:35 pm

I had a dig at Hollow Knight previously after buying and refunding it on Steam, criticising the dull level design and lack of movement options. I've seen a lot of positive talk from people I trust, though, and the later game looks genuinely enjoyable, so I picked it up in GOG's Halloween sale for around £7.50.

According to GOG I'm 1 hour and 50 minutes in and, so far, my criticisms are basically sustained but with the caveat that your most basic movement option that isn't explained, the ability to bounce on enemies using down-attack, is a lot of fun and allows you to reach certain areas and collectables that aren't otherwise available yet. THAT SAID this also lead to a situation where I had to suicide into a pool of deadly water(?) and bouncing to an area I wasn't yet supposed to access. Thankfully the proper way to access it was available and I was able to retrieve my Geo (aka. cash or souls). That's the only time I've died so far so I hope the game becomes more difficult!

The levels look okay but they have the same problem that many Metroidvania games have, that the levels feel like contrived arrangements of the same few elements rather than an actual place. It's something that a lot of games in this sub-genre are missing, and also the reason that Symphony of the Night is generally held in such high regard; the castle has an identity developed through the areas in it, that is the relation between the areas, the relation between the image of the overall castle and its areas, and the unique identifiers of each area. The upper section of the castle is notable because the outside areas are punctuated by the clock tower in the centre, and each section has a unique appearance. The right side of the castle has a staircase and elevator system operating from near the bottom to the top of the castle. The caverns contain an underground river which is used for transportation, although I won't attempt to make sense of the rest of it. There's a great staircase and a chapel on the upper-left side, taking advantage of the shape of the castle despite not really making sense. A lot of it is abstract or nonsensical, but it's differentiated and conforms to some sort of logic, and that's enough for Dracula's magical castle. It's something they screwed up in later games by making each area a tileset with little variation or contextual bearing. Hollow Night feels a lot like that, although the enemies and level design are a little better than you would typically expect from most Metroidvania games... it just feels a lot like I'm moving through some nice vector-graphics vines repeated in different arrangements rather than exploring an actual area.

The other game that I've been playing is Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse. I'm a huge fan of the SMT series; Persona 5 is my game of the year and SMT3 aka. Nocturne is my favourite JRPG of all time, although I confess that I haven't played Strange Journey yet.

This was a strange one. There's an incredible essay here (spoilers): http://eirikrjs.blogspot.co.uk/2017/02/ ... dagda.html that sums of the criticisms of one central character from the game, and all of his essays are recommended if you have any interest in SMT. His Nocturne localisation essay told me a lot about my favourite game that I didn't even know!

Anyway, the summary of SMT4:A is that you get to deal with a POWER OF FRIENDSHIP narrative while Irish Shadow the Hedgehog tells you that friendship is lame, and attempts to convince you towards his personal philosophy which isn't really explained and which contradicts itself between his stated beliefs and actions.

That said, the gameplay is an improved version of SMT4. It's straight up a better game and, if we're honest, SMT4's story and characters were utter trash too, and some of the demon designs were hideous... actually, this is worth noting, they got guest artists to design a good number of SMT4 demons and as a result some of the most significant designs (Lucifer and Merkabeh most notably) were repulsive in entirely the wrong way.

Anyway! I enjoyed this a lot and I think it's my favourite 3DS game.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 4:10 pm

More Spelunky.

Still... cant... reach... Hell.... argh

I've come so freaking close.

So many hilarious fails.

And then Spelunky 2 is announced. I cant count the sheer number of times I've heard the original (well, the HD version even moreso) referred to as "the perfect video game". They've got one hell of a legacy to live up to. I wouldnt want to be in the dev's shoes right now. That development period is going to be a bloody nightmare for them.

Has it really been 9 freaking years since the Classic version was released? Ugh. I cant mentally process that length of time.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 4:48 pm

I think I'm about half way done with South Park: The Fractured but Whole. So far, I'm loving it.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Oct 2017, 6:55 pm

Playing Wolfenstein 2. To this point it's a slightly worse game than New Order or Old Blood with some really, hysterically bad story scenes. The opening is a real howler, taking a type of characterisation that would normally require some length to convey (that is, John Wolfenstein's racist, violent, failing-businessman dad in a 1919 flashback sequence) and boiling it down to a very on-the-nose scene lasting perhaps a minute or two in length. Subsequently, the first three levels of the game take place on a ship, and the entire first level forces you into a wheelchair, which prevents any movement-based abilities and as such is little more than a shooting gallery. You manage to recruit the antagonist's daughter, who literally looks like Jim Sterling, and becomes so tired of murder and being fat-shamed that she betrays her mother and joins your crew. I'm about to start the fourth level but from what I've played so far, and from a certain scene (yes, THAT scene) that I've watched online, this is a bland shooter but funny enough that I'm compelled to play on. Whether or not the comedy is intentional is something that I'm going to have to reflect on later.

Some comments on the port. When I first opened the game earlier today, it was rendering at 720p and would reset the computer (!) whenever I changed resolution. Nvidia's new drivers fixed this, although unlike others suffering from the bug, I'm on a Pascal card and not Kepler. I still managed to crash the game, and hardlock the entire computer, while setting up, but this didn't reset the computer and was avoidable. Still, I'd be cautious about buying until any problems are fully resolved.

The performance is great though. It's in the same ballpark as DOOM was, and it's good to see another idtech 6 game that performs on that level, given that idtech 5 games (other than Rage, arguably) were typically riddled with issues. For reference I'm playing on a 1050 Ti and it's perfectly playable on high settings, and from what I've seen online a budget G4560 processor is sufficient for 60fps given the right GPU accompaniment (my Ryzen 1600 is more than enough)

Also! I've played more Hollow Knight and it does improve massively. The first hour or two was pretty torturous though, and I will never enjoy backtracking and being lost in this type of game.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2017, 7:05 pm

More Spelunky THERE I'VE BEATEN HELL!! ! IT SHOULDNT HAVE HAPPENED!! !

That was one of the most difficult things I've done in any game in years. Holy heck. On the very first time I'd gotten there, too.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2017, 7:36 am

I think I'm near the end of Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks, but I keep dinking around with the sidequest stuff.

...and one of them is starting to annoy me, so I've been taking some breaks with Pokemon Pinball (Ruby & Sapphire) ¬_¬

On the 3DS I've been playing a tiny bit of Ever Oasis, and I'm quite surprised at the DSi title "Pinball Pulse: The Ancients Beckon". IIRC, it's the same dev that made Metroid Pinball, and although I did enjoy that title quite a bit, this one plays like a real '90s pinball table (stealing bits and pieces from some of the greats), with some really nice physics. I just wish nudging the table wasn't so awkward in both games (you have to swipe the touch screen) >_<

MarissaKay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Oct 2017, 8:26 am

I'm level grinding in an obscure JRPG called "Legend of Legaia" to get my characters to level 99. The requirement to get the last treasure of the game is that my characters are at max level. Right now, I'm at level 87.