Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 31 of 45 [ 714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jun 2016, 6:48 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for feedback on the latest version of my first fantasy novel, entitled Saga Terra: Odysseus, which I heavily revised with the online program AutoCrit, and more information about which can be found at its Amazon page:

http://hyperurl.co/sagaterraodysseus

I'm willing to provide free PDF or .mobi (Kindle) copies to interested individuals that contact me, and if you like my novel or consider it average (three to five stars), I'd appreciate a public Amazon review, although if you would rate it lower, I'd much prefer a private message about how I could improve my writing. I have some negative reviews on Amazon already, although they're by trolls from my past.

EnmaLionheart
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jun 2016, 10:09 pm

Umm,hi. I am a fanfiction writer well soon to return type of fanficiton. Would it be fine once I get the blog up for a Yandere Simulator game to show the Character designs and scene's that might be mentioned until the characters are of age for "certain" scenes. But yeah... Would you guys be interested in the grunge fic well the pre-grunge fic (like Alice In Chains related)80s of course?

*goes back on phone thinking of first cosplay ideas*

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 12:22 am

I used to want to write fiction. Wanted to be an author. Sometimes I think about trying it again, but the premise of this thread keeps coming back to me and I remain unconvinced it is possible for aspies to write convincing social interaction. :(

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 9:23 pm

AJisHere wrote:
I used to want to write fiction. Wanted to be an author. Sometimes I think about trying it again, but the premise of this thread keeps coming back to me and I remain unconvinced it is possible for aspies to write convincing social interaction. :(

Kafka could not write convincing social interaction, but gave great insight into emotions, our logic, and experiences we go through. You just have to find your own way to recreate life on the page. It will make your writing more interesting, too.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 10:49 pm

HighLlama wrote:
Kafka could not write convincing social interaction, but gave great insight into emotions, our logic, and experiences we go through. You just have to find your own way to recreate life on the page. It will make your writing more interesting, too.

Thank you for the supportive words. Kafka's ok, in his own way.

My issue was that while I could create fascinating worlds (particularly in a SF/Fantasy context) I could not make the characters in them lifelike or interesting. That made the whole endeavor feel hollow and pointless, and sadly I don't see a way I could change that. To me, a story without convincing social interaction was not one that I felt good about writing. This doesn't mean that the stories I wrote were bad, it means that I did not value them. I'd put in all this work and find the result never felt like something I was pleased to put my name on.

The only way I could see myself doing it is if I had a co-author who could work with me on writing social interaction.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm

I'm guessing that you will and can get better at it.
In my righting for radio and now writing comedy dialogs, I needed help from a cowriter.
While all righting requires many drafts I find an extra pair of eyes and mind to help with transitions and conversation. My wife is the main person I collaborate with these days. Cast members were invaluable during radio days. My WP post would be clearer if I sought help. 8) 8) 8) 8) :oops:

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 12:13 am

I probably could get better at it, but it's not high on my list of priorities right now. Thank you for the encouragement, nonetheless. :)

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:52 am

AJ one one to stay calm for me us to know my priorities and follow them.

The latter is tricky, at least for me. I can get side tracked.

troubador127
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Sep 2016, 11:36 am

I didn't go through and read the replies to this thread, so sorry if it has been said (there are over 500 replies), but I read a book last year that discussed 10 known and suspected authors on the spectrum. Not only did it touch on their lives and habits, but it also analyzed their writing techniques: voice, style, narration, characterization and dialogue. Don't let being on the spectrum hold you back. I have a dual degree in Literature and Writing. I graduated two years ago and just recently decided to pick up the habit again after 2 years of traveling, getting married, etc. Write what you love. Even if your readership is small, it doesn't matter. A lot of great authors didn't gain popularity until decades or centuries postmortem.

solidessay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Sep 2016, 2:10 am

That would be nice

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 12:23 am

I had been letting a short horror story I had been working on, called The Eviction Notice, lay dormant for a while because I couldn't think of a fitting ending. That is till a few days ago, when it popped into my head. Early this morning, I finished it with what my wife and a friend tell me is a wonderfully unsettling end.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Oct 2016, 12:46 am

^^^ Sounds great, would love to see some samples but understand you might not wish to put in public view! Do you use Lovecraft for some of your inspiration?

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 1:51 am

envirozentinel wrote:
^^^ Sounds great, would love to see some samples but understand you might not wish to put in public view! Do you use Lovecraft for some of your inspiration?

In fact, my story, The Eviction Notice, somewhere along the way had transformed itself into a Lovecraftian tale.
Actually, I think if I can clean this up a bit, it might be publishable. Just depends if any horror fiction magazine wants to publish it.

ThisAdamGuy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 9:05 am

Hey guys! If you're looking for new reading material, I'm your man! I write fantasy novels and then post them on my website for everyone to read for free! There's a new chapter every week, the entire book is available for sale if you get tired of waiting. Check them out at http://www.bolanderbooks.com. I'm always open to feedback!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2016, 5:30 am

I've finished The Eviction Notice last week, and have now started something new that I call Wide Asleep, which is based on the phenomenon of sleep paralysis just last night/early this morning. Being that I actually spooked myself while writing, it might be good horror. Wish me luck!

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Oct 2016, 5:44 am

Best wishes! Sounds quite exciting. I've read of "UFO abduction" cases where people claim to have been temporarily paralyzed and unable to move, and have but scant recollection of possibly disruptive events...

Of course the "normal" sleep paralysis is much more mundane...and has no place in horror fiction!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/