Aspie authors writing social interaction

Page 31 of 45 [ 714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 45  Next

josephkyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2015, 9:03 am

I know exactly what you mean. I was diagnosed when I was in my late 30s, almost by accident. So I'm just really coming into understanding myself. I feel a need to tell the world what it's like to be me, because the pubic face of spectrum issues is almost entirely framed in terms of children; cute, cuddly, weird, quirky, funny, original kids but then once they turn 18, they're suddenly scary, odd, peculiar, and potentially dangerous, and it's sad to see that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 11:20 am

josephkyle wrote:
I know exactly what you mean. I was diagnosed when I was in my late 30s, almost by accident. So I'm just really coming into understanding myself. I feel a need to tell the world what it's like to be me, because the pubic face of spectrum issues is almost entirely framed in terms of children; cute, cuddly, weird, quirky, funny, original kids but then once they turn 18, they're suddenly scary, odd, peculiar, and potentially dangerous, and it's sad to see that.

That reminds me of a scene in Mississippi Burning, where KLansman and murderer Deputy Pell (Brad Douriff), seeing a group of black children, tells his wife: "Their kids are so cute." The implication being, his perception of blacks changes when they grow up.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 12:35 pm

Alright... I talk about my writing.

In the first book there's a teenage boy named Shiloh who sings for a garage band with his current friends, Carl and Tom. Shiloh is happy with his life. He always gets good grades, his father, Ken is a biomedical engineer and his mom, Darla runs a craft store. That all changes when Shiloh notices his eyes sometimes turn red and be acts a bit crazy on stage. One day his band mates decide that they've had enough, but before that happens another event takes place.

My phone needs to be charged but I'll say more later.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

josephkyle
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Nov 2015, 6:20 pm

I liken the phenomena to be more like this:

Savegraduation
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2015, 11:39 pm

josephkyle wrote:

I would say it's as soon as they turn 16. That's when neurodivergent teens (Aspie and otherwise) start getting harassed by cops and accused of being "intimidating" by neurotypical adults. It's also the age society, or American society at least (I don't know about other countries) starts expecting people to "act grown-up".

When I turned 16, three different teachers tried to get me to stop purging in class, using social norms as an argument. One was very ontent on getting me to conform in general. The summer I was 16, one bookstore employee saw me purging in his bookstore and called the cops on me because he thought I had pocketed a book. When I was 17, I barked at the lady who was giving me a hepatitis shot for calling me "sweetxe", and she walked out of the room to ask my mother if I'd be violent.

zchong
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jan 2016, 9:12 am

I'm a young adult writer who writes young adult realistic fiction, and I blog. I also live in the Durham Region in Ontario and would like to meet fellow aspie writers

[url]https://tvbookfilmreviewers.wordpress.com/
[/url]
https://writersrandomideas.wordpress.com/
https://justanotherstupidblogsite.wordpress.com/

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:16 am

^Hello and welcome! I am both from Canada and a writer [I write fantasy]! :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Baudouin
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

05 Jan 2016, 9:58 am

I 'm not yet diagnosed. I'm an author and have no problems writing dialogues.

http://www.somebaudy.com

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 10:01 am

^Good for you! There isn't a whole lot of dialogue in my books, actually, and the characters are actually telepathic anyway.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Wave Tossed

15 Mar 2016, 1:15 am

I've done a bunch of writing and I've had my short stories published in science fiction anthologies, mostly edited by Marion Zimmer Bradley. I've also written a novel "Snow Tiger" which is a Japanese historical with a bit of fantasy in it. I mostly write about those who are outcasts in their society, because I can relate to that.

[email protected]
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2016, 12:28 pm

I write a lot of freestyle poetry, had a bit of a meltdown and none of my work is available online at the moment. I'm writing a book about the concept of a soul entering a body by agreement, when there is a suicide attempt by the inhabitant who wants to leave.
I'm finding it difficult to maintain a relationship and (semi)normal daily routine because writing requires me to be so immersed and quite alone.
I'm having trouble switching my brain that way. can anyone relate? is this the reason for writers retreats?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 12:51 pm

I like to write and sometimes it is hard trying to decide what a character should say next. I do short stories and long stories. I started writing when I was 10 and it was with my cat stories and it was nothing but loneliness and rejection and meanness and then it was based on my special interest 101 dalmatians and all of them are terrible so I will never share them. Right now I am doing originals using the same character I created when I was 15. The hardest part was figuring out what her life is like now and what has happened over the years. I do my best with social interactions especially if a character is aspie or NT and I don't like to focus on the condition. I just put myself in it and my fantasies and feelings.

Sometimes I think about writing a story based on my life in the self contained classroom and it would be about a little seven year old girl with autistic tenancies and she has this unique perspective on life in school, she thinks her teacher assigns different rules to some kids so she would like to have a special rule too so she tries to find it by breaking every rule to see if she is allowed to do it and then she discovers she can scream in school and shriek and shout so she keeps doing it because it's something she is allowed to do. But then her mom finds out and as a result she is put in a different school with normal kids and she is in a different culture because the rules are different and so is the whole class and kids act different too and she sees how she can't do things anymore she used to do because they don't do that in her new class. But I think it would be some interesting story to read and what being in a self contained room is like for a kid with special needs and how it can be harmful to put a kid in there when they deserve a normal education as any other child and to be in mainstream. It would be fiction of course.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2016, 10:48 pm

*knock* *knock* *knock*

Hello? I am an armature writer and I was wondering if I could come here to this section of WP? :o

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 12:25 am

Austinfrom1995 wrote:
*knock* *knock* *knock*

Hello? I am an armature writer and I was wondering if I could come here to this section of WP? :o

I see no reason to say no. :D

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2016, 8:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
*knock* *knock* *knock*

I see no reason to say no. :D

Yay! Thanks for inviting me in! :D

DukeGallison
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jun 2016, 6:48 pm

Hi all, I'm looking for feedback on the latest version of my first fantasy novel, entitled Saga Terra: Odysseus, which I heavily revised with the online program AutoCrit, and more information about which can be found at its Amazon page:

http://hyperurl.co/sagaterraodysseus

I'm willing to provide free PDF or .mobi (Kindle) copies to interested individuals that contact me, and if you like my novel or consider it average (three to five stars), I'd appreciate a public Amazon review, although if you would rate it lower, I'd much prefer a private message about how I could improve my writing. I have some negative reviews on Amazon already, although they're by trolls from my past.